Notices

AIM SOLO DL Memory - what happens when full?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 03:38 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,104 Posts
Default AIM SOLO DL Memory - what happens when full?

What happens when the solo dl memory fills up?
I ran 3 days this past weekend
Some of the first days sessions/laps seem to be missing. I do collect CAN bus data along with lap data so I'm sure the data sets get pretty large.

Maybe I answered my own question :-)

Would be nice if there was a warning or way to check.

Seems maybe best practice is download data and clear after each day.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:23 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is my understanding that yes, you will lose the earliest data. I would get into the habit of downloading data daily (or after each session). You don't have to delete the data after you download it but I do.

You also should look at the sampling rate of channels you record. Somethings don't need to be recorded at 10Hz. I record oil temp and water temp at 1 or 2 Hz.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

The Solo DL memory is 16 MB, comparable to MoTeC and the older AiM products like the MXL.

I've recorded several events with full CAN data on complicated cars without running out of memory.

My protocol is clear it before every three or four day event.

Agree with gobuffs about lower sampling rates for temps and disabling channels that are not used.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-02-2015, 05:55 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Ok thanks, I must have just maxed it out then as only a few seem to be "missing" but they are missing in an odd way - like the download app said they were runs from TODAY vs. Friday - and that it wasn't super logical about what was removed vs. not removed. Looks like maybe I 'just' maxed it out. Good thing is I have all these recorded on the smarty so at least I can get some of the data in the video during playback.

Anyway, this was a 3 day event with almost 5 hours of track time, collecting CAN + location data. I have scaled back my sampling speeds already and will take another look at them again and turn off sensors I'm not using.

Lesson learned: Download after each day for these mega events (got a 4 day one coming up!)

Thanks
Old 03-02-2015, 07:41 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's always best (if you have CAN connection on your Solo) to download after each run and have a quick glance over the "reliability" channels (temperatures and pressures) to make sure you are not slowly killing your car without knowing it.

Just program a shortcut in Race Studio Analysis that pops up the right layout to do this. Zoom out your entire session (all laps combined) and look for weird spikes or high/low values). Or if you are a power user program some math channels that immediately show you the issues.

Your car will thank you and you'll never run out of memory again
Old 03-02-2015, 09:08 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Well, that's not quite true.

When you download any AiM device in Race Studio 2, you are given an option of downloading and leaving it on the device or downloading and clearing the device memory.

Because the data indicates that a Solo DL with 44 or more CAN channels can (and has, in my experience) log a minimum of eight sessions with high sample rates, there should be no issue starting with a clean memory at the beginning of any event short of a 12 or 24 hour race!

I don't recommend clearing the memory of your logger until after you are SURE you have everything has been downloaded, which usually coincides with the end of the weekend event. Having sold almost four hundred of these units, this is NOT a problem that should cause any concern.

So, follow the methodology of clearing the memory after downloading the data before each event and there is no possibility that you'll lose anything. I can't explain the OP's issue, because in all the years I have been selling these units, I have not had this failure. But any engineer will tell you that you should start fresh.

As for ir_fuel's recommendation, that is very good advice. Often, I see engine builders or crew download a file from a driver that has just come in to do a tabular "quick check" as he describes, but not clear the memory so that the driver can download into their computer on their own for driver parameters. Hence the idea that the data stays on the unit until the end of the weekend.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:17 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

I do have a car 'health' profile I use that looks at all the critical engine items.

Regarding the weird issue I had.. who knows, it could have been just a glitch.

I think the suggestion pro coach has is good, keep data on logger but pull off daily to ensure you have a copy.

I've NEVER had this issue before... so it could have very well just been an oddity.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:09 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I don't recommend clearing the memory of your logger until after you are SURE you have everything has been downloaded, which usually coincides with the end of the weekend event. Having sold almost four hundred of these units, this is NOT a problem that should cause any concern.
True. I just clear memory after each download. Never had anything go wrong there.

Often, I see engine builders or crew download a file from a driver that has just come in to do a tabular "quick check" as he describes, but not clear the memory so that the driver can download into their computer on their own for driver parameters. Hence the idea that the data stays on the unit until the end of the weekend.
That's indeed a way of working, but being the "one man team" that I am I don't need to keep it on the device.
As I driver I also like to watch data after runs to be able to check improvements and things to work on in the next run. Keeps you busy if you have to do all this yourself ...
Old 03-03-2015, 07:15 AM
greenfrog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have experienced the running out of memory issue during 3 day DE (3-4 sessions or about 100 minutes per day). But this has never been a problem because I download the data at the end of every day. When memory do get full, the Solo DL deletes the oldest session data to make room for the new session.

I clear the memory before the first session of the first day. After that, I download session data to my laptop during or at the end of each day, but never delete anything. Once I return home, I will re-download all sessions to my desktop again. If there is anything missing due to memory getting full, then I can copy that session from my laptop. Still, there really is no need to delete any data until the next event.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:49 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

My methodology is exactly greenfrog's.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:01 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by greenfrog
I clear the memory before the first session of the first day. After that, I download session data to my laptop during or at the end of each day, but never delete anything. Once I return home, I will re-download all sessions to my desktop again. If there is anything missing due to memory getting full, then I can copy that session from my laptop. Still, there really is no need to delete any data until the next event.
I only have 1 computer that can run Race Studio, so that's not really an issue for me.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:42 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

I'm a download and clear after every session kind of guy, unless I know someone else needs to grab the data after me. It's very easy to move files through dropbox, email, usb drive, etc, so I see no reason to leave them on the system to download again later.

Quick Reply: AIM SOLO DL Memory - what happens when full?