Notices

CDS Non-Contact sensors for shocks vs linear potentiometers

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 06:48 PM
wparente
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CDS Non-Contact sensors for shocks vs linear potentiometers

What are your thoughts on the CDS Non-Contact Shock sensors for an AiM MXL2 system, compared to the linear potentiometers on shocks? Is there any resolution problems with the CDS Non-Contact Shock sensors? Any known problems pros/cons?
Bill Parenteau
Old 02-17-2015, 07:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Contact David or Ellen Ferguson at Veracity Data in California. They have practical experience. http://veracitydata.com/suspension-s...installations/

I use linear potentiometers on GT and Production (or older rocker arm sports racing and formula) car shocks, geared rotary potentiometers for sports racers and formula cars (with bellcranks).

While the idea is neat, CDS is not an option for systems or components that I sell.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-17-2015, 10:24 PM
wparente
Intermediate

Thanks Peter. I emailed Dave and Ellen before I posted this. I'm just looking for opinions to compare. The concept appeals to me if it's at least a break even with linear potentiometers.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:06 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

One thing to consider is the lifespan of the linear sensors. Depending on how much you drive, this can become an issue. With the non contact, that isn't a worry.

I haven't used them yet, but the CDS sensors look nice.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:58 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
One thing to consider is the lifespan of the linear sensors. Depending on how much you drive, this can become an issue.
With a good grade of sensors and proper installation (no thrust or side forces, periodic repositioning so the wiper doesn't hit the same spot all the time), I haven't seen that issue. I have seen isolated failures of sensors older than say, ten years (throttle more than suspension), but the club cars don't seem to get hammered too badly.

I'm in the middle of upgrading a number of ex-pro cars campaigned between 1997 and 2007 with new systems and there are some wide variations in sensor quality, but few faulty or worn out linear sensors.

I guess it is the same as with everything. You pay your money and you make your choice. I had NO idea that there were such an incredible variety and range of quality in sensors, for everything, out there!

wparente, how would you mount the CDS sensors on a conventional strut type or ULA suspension?
Old 02-18-2015, 09:13 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
With a good grade of sensors and proper installation (no thrust or side forces, periodic repositioning so the wiper doesn't hit the same spot all the time), I haven't seen that issue. I have seen isolated failures of sensors older than say, ten years (throttle more than suspension), but the club cars don't seem to get hammered too badly.

I'm in the middle of upgrading a number of ex-pro cars campaigned between 1997 and 2007 with new systems and there are some wide variations in sensor quality, but few faulty or worn out linear sensors.

I guess it is the same as with everything. You pay your money and you make your choice. I had NO idea that there were such an incredible variety and range of quality in sensors, for everything, out there!

wparente, how would you mount the CDS sensors on a conventional strut type or ULA suspension?
Most race cars don't reach the level of use to wear them out, but even with a quality sensor, they end up needing to be rebuilt/replaced. I didn't realize this until I was doing an in depth analysis looking at some logging issues and dug down to the bit level of data coming in. If you talk to all the manufacturers and check the data sheets, they have a life cycle.

I'm more amazed at the price differences. For an average 100mm sensor, the price delta can run $700!
Old 02-18-2015, 11:27 AM
wparente
Intermediate

Peter - I will be mounting it on a Gen3 SRF. The magnet will be mounted on the rocker arm with the sensor mounted on a vertical suspension mount tube. Probably exactly as displayed the CDS site. I am guessing I should space the sensor out far enough to get the maximum travel within the limit for the sensor specification for best resolution. I am waiting for a reply from Dave about his experience with the sensor. He is out of town now and won't be back for a few days.
Bill Parenteau

Last edited by wparente; 02-18-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:01 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Bill, that ought to work fine!

Quick Reply: CDS Non-Contact sensors for shocks vs linear potentiometers