Notices

VBox HD2 video problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2024, 10:16 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default VBox HD2 video problems

I’m experiencing intermittent issues with the video image from my primary camera. The issue is that I sometimes have a blue screen instead of video footage when I review my sessions. This problem occurs intermittently and I haven’t been able to identify any patters. It’s very frustrating!!! I spoke to the tech support guys at race logic and they suggested reinstalling the firmware. I followed their instructions and I’m still having the problem. It’s very frustrating to come off the track and look forward to reviewing the data and video from your session only to find that the video wasn’t captured. I’m going to call tech support again in the morning. However, based on my last conversation with them, I don’t have high expectations regarding the outcome. On their company website, they acknowledged that some users have experienced an issue that’s sounds identical to my issue with the exception being that they noticed a green (not blue) screen. However, the web site states that they’re working on a solution and will make an announcement when the solution is ready. So based on what I see on their website and the discussions I’ve had with them, they acknowledge that they’re having a problem

Has anyone experienced this issue (or a similar issue) before? Or know of anyone who has? Any recommendations?
Old 06-23-2024, 11:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveNupe
I’m experiencing intermittent issues with the video image from my primary camera. The issue is that I sometimes have a blue screen instead of video footage when I review my sessions. This problem occurs intermittently and I haven’t been able to identify any patters. It’s very frustrating!!! I spoke to the tech support guys at race logic and they suggested reinstalling the firmware. I followed their instructions and I’m still having the problem. It’s very frustrating to come off the track and look forward to reviewing the data and video from your session only to find that the video wasn’t captured. I’m going to call tech support again in the morning. However, based on my last conversation with them, I don’t have high expectations regarding the outcome. On their company website, they acknowledged that some users have experienced an issue that’s sounds identical to my issue with the exception being that they noticed a green (not blue) screen. However, the web site states that they’re working on a solution and will make an announcement when the solution is ready. So based on what I see on their website and the discussions I’ve had with them, they acknowledge that they’re having a problem

Has anyone experienced this issue (or a similar issue) before? Or know of anyone who has? Any recommendations?
Super easy fix. In your install, it’s quite likely the cable has pulled away from the pc board in the camera. You can fix it (ask tech support to email you the bulletin) or send it to them to have them fix it. Been an issue since 2018.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following users liked this post:
LiveNupe (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 11:38 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Thanks!
Old 06-23-2024, 11:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The dead giveaway is “sometimes” you have a blue screen (no video signal),
LiveNupe (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 01:31 AM
build.bat
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

i actually had the same issue with one of my cameras are a very recent new vbox installation and i ended up sending the camera back since i had the issue basically immediately, tech notes were a short in the camera internal soldering connection. they repaired it and everything has worked perfectly since
LiveNupe (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 10:21 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by build.bat
i actually had the same issue with one of my cameras are a very recent new vbox installation and i ended up sending the camera back since i had the issue basically immediately, tech notes were a short in the camera internal soldering connection. they repaired it and everything has worked perfectly since
Thats a manufacturing defect. What I'm talking about is all of the cameras out there that installers insist on putting in with NO slack that allows the cable to be pulled away internally, which pulls the end of the cable connector from the PC board connector inside the camera body.

Since some of these systems are being moved from car to car, and are approaching seven years old, this is not uncommon. 90% is due to installation errors and no slack on the cable.
LiveNupe (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 11:18 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

The claps can also be tightened too much and damage the cameras when mounting them. It's recommended to make sure the cable off the camera is straight for 2" to ensure it doesn't stress the internal board and damage the camera resulting in a blue screen.
LiveNupe (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 11:30 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The board isn't the problem, it's the fact that the strain relief doesn't anchor the cable well over time, which allows the connector at the end of it to become unplugged internally from the board in the camera body. Take it apart, plug it back in and you're done.

There is a UV degradation that occurs on the camera body plastic, as well. If the bodies aren't clamped using the supplied plastic or ally clamps from RL or around the ends of the barrel rather than the center, it can crack the case. I used an AiM alloy SCHD GP clamp and broke one of my HD2 cameras over time.
Old 06-24-2024, 11:34 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

Just going off the largest dealer advice and what has happened as people were forced to buy them in TA ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I've seen them damaged with the supplied clamps on the middle of the body.
Old 06-24-2024, 11:49 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yes, it's unsupported in the middle of the body. Still haven't seen the plastic clamps, which have far more surface area to distribute clamping load, crack a case.
Old 06-24-2024, 11:56 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Back to the OP's issue.

This is what it looks like inside when folks yank on the cables and pull the connectors apart. This one needed a new connector body and some terminals...

Old 06-24-2024, 01:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Here are the field service repair notes from a few years ago.

Attached Images
LiveNupe (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 03:19 AM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

@ProCoach thanks for sharing. I'm planning to dig into this over the upcoming weekend
Old 06-27-2024, 08:14 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LiveNupe
@ProCoach thanks for sharing. I'm planning to dig into this over the upcoming weekend
If you have an issue, just request an RMA from support <at> Racelogic.com and send it in. They'll fix it for you. But it it's intermittent, chances are you can fix it.
LiveNupe (06-27-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 11:34 AM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
If you have an issue, just request an RMA from support <at> Racelogic.com and send it in. They'll fix it for you. But it it's intermittent, chances are you can fix it.
done, it’s should arrive Monday. Thx
ProCoach (06-28-2024)

Quick Reply: VBox HD2 video problems