Notices

Camera Placement Recommnedations

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2024, 11:05 AM
build.bat
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The lens hood is really cool. What polarizing filter do you use?

I wouldn't be able to use the GpS mount, as the proper operation requires a metal backing directly (ground plane) for it to function optimally. It's clever, but GPS is critical for all the proper Racelogic acceleration, position and speed measurements.

https://en.racelogic.support/VBOX_Au...ment_and_Setup
i have tried a few, since i get a weird rainbow effect with my Xpel window tint on the windshield (0% just for UV / heat blocking). I tried a nikon, tiffen, and B+W, all multicoated, etc. i also see the same effect with just polarized sunglasses, so i think the Xpel tint just unfortunately causes this with polarized lens.

for the gps mount, yea, i have read the documentation, if this was a cup car or something, sure, but with the aluminum body and carbon fiber roof and not wanting to have wires hanging outside the car, etc, i choose this solution, i have been to 6 track days since i installed, i have not had 1 issue with GPS signal, so its good enough for amateur tracking for fun setup IMHO
also the metal ground plane is to block reflections from the ground, with the GPS in the back with the car and the carpet, i think any reflective signals are effectively blocked or insignificant. that racelogic document for roof mounted gps and makes sense given that setup.

example of the rainbow effect from using polarizer with Xpel 0% tint on the windshield:

Last edited by build.bat; 06-27-2024 at 11:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LiveNupe (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 11:51 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

The rainbow is from the stress in the film. https://rocketeyewear.com/pages/why-...larised-lenses
The following 2 users liked this post by Matt Romanowski:
build.bat (06-27-2024), LiveNupe (06-28-2024)

Quick Reply: Camera Placement Recommnedations