Notices

Camera Placement Recommnedations

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 12:42 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Camera Placement Recommnedations

I recently installed a VBox in my car. After reviewing video from my first few sessions, I noticed that the camera is picking up reflections from the car's interior (dashboard, center console, myself, etc) under certain lighting conditions (position of the sun, direction of the car, etc). I'm able to see the video footage that I want to see but the reflections are a bit of a nuisance/distraction and it would be great if I could eliminate the reflection images.

Rather than go through a bunch of trial and error experimentation, I thought I'd come to this group with a request for advice/suggestions.

Anyone have any camera placement recommendations?
Old 04-06-2024, 01:02 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,344 Likes on 1,899 Posts

Polarization filter.

On placement camera 1 should be as high and centrally located at the top of the windshield as possible. You need to see the car’s relationship to the edges of the road.

camera 2 can be over your shoulder and down aimed at the centerline of the the steering wheel or anywhere where the background is predominantly dark.or, insides the rear glass looking back.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following users liked this post:
LiveNupe (04-06-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 01:00 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

@ProCoach based on what I see on their web site, it doesn’t appear that Racelogic offers polarization filters for their cameras. My car isn’t readily available, but as soon as I get it back from the shop I’m going to see if the garmin catalyst polarization filter fits. Meanwhile, I thought I’d ask if anyone is aware of any turnkey solutions.

anyone know of any polarization filters that work with the vbox cameras out of the box?
Old 04-14-2024, 05:34 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveNupe
I recently installed a VBox in my car. After reviewing video from my first few sessions, I noticed that the camera is picking up reflections from the car's interior (dashboard, center console, myself, etc) under certain lighting conditions (position of the sun, direction of the car, etc). I'm able to see the video footage that I want to see but the reflections are a bit of a nuisance/distraction and it would be great if I could eliminate the reflection images.

Rather than go through a bunch of trial and error experimentation, I thought I'd come to this group with a request for advice/suggestions.

Anyone have any camera placement recommendations?
Racelogic makes a protective lens cover RLACS240, if you order that it might help you find a 3rd party drone camera filter that fits.

Highly recommend that you put the forward facing camera as close to rear view mirror, centered, as possible. It gives a natural FOV similar to what you see through your eyes.
The following 2 users liked this post by ShakeNBake:
LiveNupe (04-14-2024), ProCoach (04-14-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 02:11 AM
build.bat
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

i recently installed a vbox video hd2 system. here is my setup.

forward camera i use a blendmount rearview mirror mount and a custom 3d printed gopro mount for the vbox camera, so it does not hang down in my view. i 3d printed a polarizer filter holder for 52mm filters, but i found that my Xpel 0% front window tint causes a rainbow effort (tried multiple brand filters) * shrug *

for the drivers camera, i just used the suction cups on the upper right part of the windshield

for the HD2 unit itself, i got the rollbar mount, but it only works with 1.5 inch bars, my roll bar is from competition motorsport and is 1.75 inches, so i 3d printed a rollbar mount.

i also 3d printed a little mount of the gps antennae, since i didn't want to mess with mounting it outside with the carbon fiber roof and aluminum panels, so i used a RAM mount arm to make sure it goes over the rear deck and has clear level line of sight out the rear window. i have had zero problems with the GPS signal this way.

i have the microphone under the rear deck carpeting, set to manual gain +3. seems to be the right amount of engine / exhaust noise, zero wind noise being under the carpeting.

for the CAN bus signals, i had to work with Racelogic tech support for 992 GT3 signals. out of the box it did not work. Needed custom CAN bus database (from tech support) for proper steering angle, RPM > 8000, brake pressure (bar), and current gear. The rest of the can bus symbols worked from the can database from the downloads section of their website for the regular 992 vehicle.

also i have the cameras with the 6 meter cables, so i ran the cables down the A pillar, along the floor/side and then up under the rear carpeting for a very clean install.

have the OLED display mounted with a rennline dash mount for 992. i got some 17mm ball mount from amazon to attach the OLED display. run the cables under the center console, under the rear carpeting.

here is the final video sample, in this video i don't have the polarizer on, i still trying to work out if i can find a polarizer that doesn't cause weird rainbow effect with my Xpel tint, so for now, having some reflections is better for me.

sorry the front camera was turned a bit and i forgot to adjust this.

Last edited by build.bat; 06-24-2024 at 02:33 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by build.bat:
LiveNupe (06-26-2024), Nugs. (06-24-2024), ProCoach (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 10:24 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The blend mount is a very elegant solution. I would want it higher, so you can see more of the edges of the car and their relationship to the edges of the road, but that'll do.
Old 06-26-2024, 02:30 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I mounted my VBox to a 1.75" cage using brackets available from Pegasus (https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr....asp?RecID=270) which replace exactly those supplied by Racelogic. A little pricey but ease of use is top shelf.
build.bat (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 03:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Julian Allen
I mounted my VBox to a 1.75" cage using brackets available from Pegasus (https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr....asp?RecID=270) which replace exactly those supplied by Racelogic. A little pricey but ease of use is top shelf.
Theyre also available in 1.5"

The standard Racelogic mount clamps are 1.625" same size as a GT3 Cup cage tube.
Old 06-26-2024, 04:16 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Look at all the information that flows to this thread!
Old 06-26-2024, 04:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Here are the mounts for the small cage cars (1.5") https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr....asp?RecID=269
Old 06-26-2024, 07:32 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

@build.bat your set-up is very impressive. Any chance you can share a picture of the polarizer filter holder installed? Also curious, where'd you buy your polarizer filter?
Old 06-26-2024, 09:23 PM
build.bat
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveNupe
@build.bat your set-up is very impressive. Any chance you can share a picture of the polarizer filter holder installed? Also curious, where'd you buy your polarizer filter?
any standard 52mm camera filter will fit. the 2 i tried were:the 3d print just slides on and stays on with some minor friction / resistance.

3d print modelsi used threaded inserts into the 3d prints when bolts were needed or 1/4 threaded insert for the GPS mount to attached to a standard tripod ballfor the hand bolt on the low-profile gopro camera bracket, i used these:
LiveNupe (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 09:29 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Very impressive… thanks for sharing!!
build.bat (06-26-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 03:30 AM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

@build.bat I just sent you a PM
Old 06-27-2024, 08:25 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The lens hood is really cool. What polarizing filter do you use?

I wouldn't be able to use the GpS mount, as the proper operation requires a metal backing directly (ground plane) for it to function optimally. It's clever, but GPS is critical for all the proper Racelogic acceleration, position and speed measurements.

https://en.racelogic.support/VBOX_Automotive/Knowledge_Base/GNSS_Antenna_Placement_and_Setup

Last edited by ProCoach; 06-27-2024 at 08:27 AM.
LiveNupe (06-27-2024)

Quick Reply: Camera Placement Recommnedations