Adding Tire temp to AIM system

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 06:02 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I've found displaying tire temps or pressures can be a bit of a mixed bag. I've seen some drivers need that verification to have the confidence that the car will handle the inputs they want to deliver and it improves their performance.

Drive the car to what it can take, not what you think. Use the data for engineering, setup, and evaluation after the fact, but don't let it limit your performance.
Bingo.

It's a Catch-22.

To warm the tires, brakes and driver up well, the driver needs to drive with controlled aggression. The better (and quicker) they're coming up to speed, the quicker the platform will stabilize at the optimum values, hence further confidence ensues...

Listening to pro drivers leave the pit lane from my office at VIR, this is reinforced EVERY time.

Now, for carbon brakes on LMP cars, I've found either a page with temps or an alarm LED that goes out above a threshold, especially for Am drivers, to be REALLY helpful...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-19-2018, 06:45 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 270 Posts

When leaving pits, my procedure is to accelerate in 1st gear, then brake to threshold and repeat several times to warmup tires and brakes. Learned this technique from a procoach.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:07 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
Learned this technique from a procoach.
That’s good advice!

Ken Payne, Motorsports Technical Director for Michelin North America, explained to me decades ago that rapid and high value LonG deltas were the best way to stabilize temps and pressures in a racing tire.

The cars we raced together long ago didn’t have the juice to do that, so we just slid around until they came up to temp, but the explanation is simple.

The flexion of the cross ply belting in the tire carcass when subjected to abrupt fore-aft acceleration and deceleration causes internal friction, which causes heat internally throughout the carcass of the tire, eventually permeating the tread.

But more than that, internal pressures rise due to heat, causing the tire to stiffen and provide a better platform, sooner. This helps the driver have increasing confidence over the out lap to the point where the tire is functioning nominally by the time the first hot lap starts.

In the class that I race, and the categories he oversees in IMSA for Michelin, this can be a particularly effective competitive advantage. Certainly a quality the very best professional drivers have honed to a high level.

While I do understand the lateral “scrubbing” folks often do on pace laps or out laps, that’s more effective in knocking off particulates and debris off the tread surface than for “conditioning the tire” quickly and effectively.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:18 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

That’s good advice!

Ken Payne, Motorsports Technical Director for Michelin North America, explained to me decades ago that rapid and high value LonG deltas were the best way to stabilize temps and pressures in a racing tire.

The cars we raced together long ago didn’t have the juice to do that, so we just slid around until they came up to temp, but the explanation is simple.

The flexion of the cross ply belting in the tire carcass when subjected to abrupt fore-aft acceleration and deceleration causes internal friction, which causes heat internally throughout the carcass of the tire, eventually permeating the tread.

But more than that, internal pressures rise due to heat, causing the tire to stiffen and provide a better platform, sooner. This helps the driver have increasing confidence over the out lap to the point where the tire is functioning nominally by the time the first hot lap starts.

In the class that I race, and the categories he oversees in IMSA for Michelin, this can be a particularly effective competitive advantage. Certainly a quality the very best professional drivers have honed to a high level.

While I do understand the lateral “scrubbing” folks often do on pace laps or out laps, that’s more effective in knocking off particulates and debris off the tread surface than for “conditioning the tire” quickly and effectively.
My data review (temps and pressures) has shown different and has been validated by a set of engineers (tire company and high end professional). Belt structures and rubber compounds make a very large difference in how the tire heats up, both in time and rate, and how it sheds heat.

Do you still run bias ply tires in vintage S2000? The radials in IMSA have some pretty cool qualities.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
My data review (temps and pressures) has shown different and has been validated by a set of engineers (tire company and high end professional). Belt structures and rubber compounds make a very large difference in how the tire heats up, both in time and rate, and how it sheds heat.
As you know, the conundrum is to build a tire that's "sticky" but yet doesn't melt when drivers overdrive or overdrive for too long a time! I would say the rubber compounds help on the heat up and the belt structures help on the cool down (wicking away tread layer heat). Both contribute to longevity of optimum performance.

Bruce Foss at Hoosier and Ken Payne at Michelin aren't directors of their company's programs for nothing. I learned a great deal testing tires for magazines at Michelin's Laurens Proving Grounds, but that was fifteen plus years ago. They were radials though!

I was speaking from a driver's perspective.

Regardless of the construction method of the tire, either bias-ply (which I use on my own car) and radials (on every current car), the importance of the driver quickly and effectively stressing the tire in the fore-aft axis to gain quick and evenly distributed heat and pressure is the same, and extremely important.

Paul Haney's book is one of the bibles, really. Great discussion on temps, pressures and construction.

Claude Rouelle's OptimumG Vehicle Dynamics seminars are the best on understanding how tires "switch on," how to measure that and make changes to the platform to improve that.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I'll add that most purpose built racing slicks that are not designed for specific series use (like your Trans Am Pirellis) generally have a broader range of compounds, which do affect warm-up characteristics substantially.

The Hoosier R25B/R35B/R45B bias and R35B/R55A/S75/S80/S100 radial range, the Goodyear R160/R250/R255/R430/R470 range (available in both bias and radial) and the Avon A49/A11/A56 all show very different warm-up characteristics.

But in the end, it's up to the driver to nudge up against and slightly over the limit on the out lap and on the first race lap to get them to temp, especially during the moving target it takes to get there...
Old 12-19-2018, 10:48 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

I'll agree that the driver is the most important variable. The tire data I have is across multiple manufacturers, compounds, and sizes. It's not just compound that changes the temp characteristics. Even in one style of tire, different layups can have substantial effects on tire temp and feel.

Dunlop has released some really good data from the European work.

I'll see what I can pull together from data I can share. I should be able to show temps and possibly pressure versus lateral G for how they warm up. I'm pretty straight out through the end of the year. Maybe you have some data you can share too?
Old 12-20-2018, 02:56 PM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Sorry - I misunderstood. I thought you were going with the AIM single sensor system. FYI - My front sensors are at the top of the tire built into the wheel well cover so they still work with the wheels turned. My rears are in front of the tire to minimize debris impact. In one season I have lost several sensors already due to debris. The real time display is cool as it gives you reliable information in terms of the best techniques to get temps into the tires.
Great idea! Placing the sensor above the axis ensures the surface is covered regardless of the steering angle. As far as sensor damage, if the sensor is recessed into the inner liner with a protective cover (available from the various sensor manufacturers), I would think the possibility of damage would be a secondary concern to just keeping the cover clean enough for the sensor to function. I bought the rear wheelhouse tub liners to help minimize the damage to various components should a tire let go. These liners pop rivet in place and should provide a good, rigid platform for the rear wheel sensors.

Lots of good info on the pros and cons of an in car tire temperature display. My original plan was to provide info after the fact that could be used to aid in car set up and for my coach to look at as an additional data point. Now, maybe some kind of indicator to confirm the tire temp is where it “feels”, might be a good thing.

Last edited by dogger15; 12-23-2018 at 12:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Adding Tire temp to AIM system