Notices

AIM Solo - Not timing

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 11:44 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Default AIM Solo - Not timing

I've got an early AIM solo...like pre-order early version of it. It's always been flawless in it's operation, battery lasts for what seems forever, thing is just solid and never a worry.

Earlier this spring I added a couple of new tracks to it and updated my really old firmware version at the same time. Mine you the latest firmware update is almost 2 years old at this point but the one I had in there was older.

Since the firmware update it just doesn't work anymore.

The device comes up and will get 8-10 satellites locked in, shows the proper track, but will rarely register a lap time. I'll go out for a session and it does nothing for like the first 3 laps and then suddenly recognizes a 4-5 min lap and starts to do +/- reading on that 4 min lap. Then it'll register like a 2 min lap and then finally maybe one good lap and then just quits doing anything...either freezes at a +/- value or shows some random number that has nothing to do with anything it's recorded thus far that session.

Still shows good satellite reception, has full battery, everything indicates it's in good working order.

I've moved it to a different location in the car to verify good GPS signal, still the same behavior. The really weird part is it'll get like one good accurate lap per session and the rest of the time it's garbage data.

Anyone seen this before? I can't revert hardware versions to anything near as old as what I had.

AIM just says send it in an then tells me about the shiny new one

Old 10-09-2018, 12:23 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

If you take the data and do a GPS lap insert, does it then give good data?

Is it a track that it worked at correctly before? Some tracks that are pretty wide can be a problem if the track width isn't set wide enough. Pocono is a frequent problem on this.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Widen the track width from the default to the next wider option. Possible without a computer on the device in Settings.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-10-2018, 10:04 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Gents, Thank you for the suggestion on track width. Now that I think about it I changed it while I was at New Castle racing karts around the same time this started to happen...I'm betting that's the issue.

Do you know what the default is for track width and what you've had success with at most tracks?
Old 10-10-2018, 10:30 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Gents, Thank you for the suggestion on track width. Now that I think about it I changed it while I was at New Castle racing karts around the same time this started to happen...I'm betting that's the issue.

Do you know what the default is for track width and what you've had success with at most tracks?
Default is 30 ft, at places I have trouble with GPS like Sebring and Road America, I use 45.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:34 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Agreed non 45 ft. That works almost everywhere.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:22 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The other thing I periodically do is delete all the tracks on the device (after insuring the firmware is up to date) and reload the tracks that I know I’m going to. It is possible for the track database to become corrupted.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:25 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

To put resolution to this, changing track width setting resolved my problem. Thanks for the help
Old 11-05-2018, 03:24 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

To put resolution to this, changing track width setting resolved my problem. Thanks for the help
Awesome. Glad it was an easy fix!
Old 11-05-2018, 04:14 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Good!
Old 12-21-2018, 02:57 PM
Skibum1963
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Having similar issues. Was out at Chuckwalla this past weekend and it worked for the first two outings, then did not for rest of day. Was using the Cosworth data during the day so didn't notice until I got home. What's weird is that the track map and car cursor is still moving inside the video, which was not the case in the past when it did not record lap times. I'll try widening the width. I'm pretty bummed about this. I feel like this thing works only about half the time on average for recording lap times...And yes, every time I go to the track I delete all my maps and reload them. S

Quick Reply: AIM Solo - Not timing