Aim solo dL issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 08:19 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aim solo dL issue

Hi. I'm at cota this weekend and using aim solo dL w smartycam 2.1

Today, I noticed that whenever I would cross start/finish line, the solo dL would restart on its own. But smartycam is still recording. Obviously the time is always 0:00 since there is no lap time.

I never had this issue. Also realized that it isn't consistently charging - I am using Mworld hard wire plug n play solution - where you get the power from the obd pin. This was worked flawlessly for the past two years. Today is just weird.

Another scenario is that middle of the track, the aim solo resets (not necessarily when crossing the start/finish.

What should I do? I'm on latest firmware on aim solo dL. I think camera is also on the latest firmware.

I think I should just factory reset and go from there.... any thoughts?
Old 08-25-2018, 08:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,891 Posts

The firmware for both devices is pretty mature. I’m concerned about the charging issue. Not certainly how the M-World harness uses the OBDII for power, because that is on all the time. Typically power off/power on could cause reboots. Would not ignore the ground connection. Difficult to diagnose because the internal battery in the SmartyCam keeps it recording. Does any of the data drop out in the video, indicating no data sent from the Solo DL?
Old 08-25-2018, 08:33 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

You have a very good point. Perhaps it's the ground connection of the hard wire. It is triggering a reset.

M world uses PIN number "x" wire which is power and slices it to piggy back to the aim wire of positive. And ground goes to "uhh forgot". It's been couple years since I installed it. But perhaps tomorrow, I will not use the "hard wire" for power but rather just fire it up and use internal battery for both the device and the camera.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:08 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by DC640
But perhaps tomorrow, I will not use the "hard wire" for power but rather just fire it up and use internal battery for both the device and the camera.
Been my experience that both the SDL and SCHD need to be fully charged and will not last a whole lot more than a longer session. But that’s a good test!
Old 08-25-2018, 09:35 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

I'll test it for one session.

Otherwise, I have to check all the connections in between sessions.

Thanks for the info. I'll come back w some updates
Old 08-25-2018, 09:54 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Good luck! Enjoy COTA!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-25-2018, 10:55 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,005 Likes on 600 Posts

Certainly check the connections, but I'm betting on the recording parameters being set to not gps speed and RPM. The unit shuts off because it isn't recording and then the CAN wakes it up. Change the recording parameters to just GPS speed only more than 10 mph.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:36 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

You guys are dead on with your diagnosis.

Wow!!!

Ground connection was severed. Just A subpar material and connection made by M world plug n play kit. I went to O reily store and had to splice/strip and crimp. Hilarious that I did this in the parking lot of Holiday Inn.

This is what desperation does to a man. Now I will go drink a cold one and sleep happy for another day of COTA tomorrow.

Thank you gentlemen!!!!!
Old 08-26-2018, 04:25 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

You guys are dead on with your diagnosis.

Wow!!!

Ground connection was severed. Just A subpar material and connection made by M world plug n play kit. I went to O reily store and had to splice/strip and crimp. Hilarious that I did this in the parking lot of Holiday Inn.

This is what desperation does to a man. Now I will go drink a cold one and sleep happy for another day of COTA tomorrow.

Thank you gentlemen!!!!!
Great! The intermittent nature, all of a sudden, is what gave it away. So glad!
Old 08-26-2018, 06:31 AM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

yours may be different, but we had a big problem with my AIM SOLO (not the DL though). we would charge it full, showed full charge and then it wold discharge in 10, 15minutes.
we had it monticello and it happened several times. we'd charge it out of the car with the wall charger, full charge and 10minutes into the session it would turn off.
we'd charge it and let it run in the trailer and it woudl lose charge really quickly.
it was swapped out. havent really had too much time with the replacement unit just yet. but it hasnt done that in the out-of-car test we did with it.
then again the first one didnt either for a normal discharges then went kaput.

i also think the backlight is too dark. i struggle to see thing though i can see the forecasted time, but any of the menu text etc. is impossible.
it needs a bit of work is my two cents.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:25 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Hi. I'm at cota this weekend and using aim solo dL w smartycam 2.1

Today, I noticed that whenever I would cross start/finish line, the solo dL would restart on its own. But smartycam is still recording. Obviously the time is always 0:00 since there is no lap time.

I never had this issue. Also realized that it isn't consistently charging - I am using Mworld hard wire plug n play solution - where you get the power from the obd pin. This was worked flawlessly for the past two years. Today is just weird.

Another scenario is that middle of the track, the aim solo resets (not necessarily when crossing the start/finish.

What should I do? I'm on latest firmware on aim solo dL. I think camera is also on the latest firmware.

I think I should just factory reset and go from there.... any thoughts?
Every friend I have had that uses the m world harness has used the CAN bus AND I had to come show them how to wire the power. The m world instructions apparently do not cover that. I'm not sure about OBD. It's pretty easy to check - the two power wires were taped and unused.

I also find that if I haven't deleted sessions on the solo it will do what you're seeing. Just download and clear all sessions.

If Scott Landon is there talk to him. He's a guy I have helped.

Denis dot Clavette @ Comcast dot net if you want to chat more.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:21 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

It is the ecu direct plug and play harness from M world. Their kit is bacially a ecu CAN bus wire modified to tap power/ground pin from obd port. That's all. CAN wires are still tapped in a different location than behind the fuse box (the typical harness wire bundle that people look for).

The advantage is that you can "power" it when you need to.

Major problem is that the wires that is mating with the obd plug is extremely thin and the joint butt connector just got severed in my case. They should've made a more robust connection and wrapped it around w more flex resistant taping etc.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:23 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Kind of a bad pic. But you can see the poor wiring job from M world connection.
Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2018, 08:53 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Kind of a bad pic. But you can see the poor wiring job from M world connection.
Hmmm, don’t care for using a cheap OBDII plug for “switched” power. That’s a failure waiting to happen.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:50 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Totally agree. Learn and move on

Quick Reply: Aim solo dL issue