Aim solo DL. Can bus or OBD2?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 09:47 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Aim solo DL. Can bus or OBD2?

Crosspost from the 997 section

I am finally getting around to installing my AIM solo DL. I want to get the most out of it in terms of data, but I'm also looking for the easiest install possible. Am I missing anything if I use the OBD2 port to collect data as apposed to hard wiring it in via the can bus system? If the latter is the way to go, can anyone help me out with some install instructions?

Thanks

Last edited by misterwaterfall; 07-23-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:47 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

All the answers including installation... Assuming the links still work.

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-of-obdii.html
Old 07-23-2018, 11:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,800 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by misterwaterfall

I am finally getting around to installing my AIM solo DL. I want to get the most out of it in terms of data, but I'm also looking for the easiest install possible. Am I missing anything if I use the OBD2 port to collect data as apposed to hard wiring it in via the can bus system? If the latter is the way to go, can anyone help me out with some install instructions?

Thanks
Depends on year and model (GT3 or non-GT3). What have you got?
Old 07-23-2018, 11:43 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Depends on year and model (GT3 or non-GT3). What have you got?
Sorry, should have clarified. 2010 gt3
Old 07-24-2018, 08:50 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by misterwaterfall

Thanks
I wondered the same and contacted AiM tech support prior to buying my Solo 2 DL.

Short Answer:
OBD II is easier to install
CAN gets you more data at consistent rates and improves data analysis

Long answer:
Using the OBD II protocol sets up the device to to operate using OBD II diagnostic protocol standards. It's not just reading data through the OBD II port, it's sending a DID read request and waiting for the ECU to recognize the request and respond. OBD II standards specify limited amounts of standardized data to be available. Because it is a request based protocol your data rate is whatever the ECU can provide at the time of the request. You may not receive a response every 10ms or 100ms. You might get data in 10ms, and then 30ms, and then again at 100ms, and then 10ms later. The more load on the bus the less frequently you get data.

Using the CAN bus connects you to a river of data. All the signals are transmitted at a constant volume and constant speed. Your logger just watches the data go by and logs it. If a signal is defined by Porsche to transmit at 100Hz (10ms) then you'll see it every 10ms every time (unless the transmitting ECU has a fault). The only limitation here is decoding the data. AiM has to reverse engineer the CAN database file. Your limitation on available data becomes what AiM has managed to figure out, and also how much effort they continue to put into an older model car once new ones come out and they shift focus to reverse engineering a new database file.
The following users liked this post:
cbracerx (12-20-2021)
Old 07-24-2018, 09:10 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby921
I wondered the same and contacted AiM tech support prior to buying my Solo 2 DL.

Short Answer:
OBD II is easier to install
CAN gets you more data at consistent rates and improves data analysis

Long answer:
Using the OBD II protocol sets up the device to to operate using OBD II diagnostic protocol standards. It's not just reading data through the OBD II port, it's sending a DID read request and waiting for the ECU to recognize the request and respond. OBD II standards specify limited amounts of standardized data to be available. Because it is a request based protocol your data rate is whatever the ECU can provide at the time of the request. You may not receive a response every 10ms or 100ms. You might get data in 10ms, and then 30ms, and then again at 100ms, and then 10ms later. The more load on the bus the less frequently you get data.

Using the CAN bus connects you to a river of data. All the signals are transmitted at a constant volume and constant speed. Your logger just watches the data go by and logs it. If a signal is defined by Porsche to transmit at 100Hz (10ms) then you'll see it every 10ms every time (unless the transmitting ECU has a fault). The only limitation here is decoding the data. AiM has to reverse engineer the CAN database file. Your limitation on available data becomes what AiM has managed to figure out, and also how much effort they continue to put into an older model car once new ones come out and they shift focus to reverse engineering a new database file.
Good review of how it works. Also, the OBDII connectors can be a bit less robust as they can be bumped, wiggle loose, etc. The CAN connections, as they are hardwired, tend to be more trouble free and robust.

When available, CAN connection is almost (99%) better than the OBDII connection. One benefit, with the Solo DL of both generations, is that the units is the same, it's just the wiring and config that varies. You can have 1 Solo DL and both harness for different cars, needs, etc.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:37 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

Went I went from the Solo to the Solo DL on my Cayman S I did the CAN connection myself. When I moved the Solo DL to my new GT4 I didn't feel like hacking into the wiring and went to an OBD connection. For my purposes (I study my data and always try to improve) the OBD connection gives me just about all the data I can use. What it lacks is brake data. I recently added "Calculated Brake Pressure" to my Math Channels. There are some plug and play CAN connections available which I may try.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:25 AM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Thanks for the help guys. Can connection is only a few wires, so shouldn't be that big of a deal
Old 08-20-2019, 11:39 AM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 295 Posts

Sorry to revive an old thread but this is what popped up on Google when trying to diagnose my specific issue with my newly purchased AiM Solo 2 DL. I've got a 996 Turbo and had assumed it would work over my OBD II connection but after quite a bit of research and trying at least 3 different AiM protocols for Porsche I'm coming up empty and receiving NO data from the car to the datalogger.

This is my first attempt with a datalogging tool after several years of wanting to try it. Although having the GPS based lap timing and accelerometer data is helpful, I was really hoping for a bit more considering I can get the same GPS/accelerometer data from the much less expensive non DL version of the unit.

Additional background info: I was looking for a system that could be expanded upon to eventually do video with data overlays and thought the AiM unit would be the best route as I could integrate the camera at a later date but use the data now in their software to review lap times and corner speeds in the interim. Should I have tried a different setup for my 996?
Old 08-20-2019, 03:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,800 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Roblin
Sorry to revive an old thread but this is what popped up on Google when trying to diagnose my specific issue with my newly purchased AiM Solo 2 DL. I've got a 996 Turbo and had assumed it would work over my OBD II connection but after quite a bit of research and trying at least 3 different AiM protocols for Porsche I'm coming up empty and receiving NO data from the car to the datalogger.

This is my first attempt with a datalogging tool after several years of wanting to try it. Although having the GPS based lap timing and accelerometer data is helpful, I was really hoping for a bit more considering I can get the same GPS/accelerometer data from the much less expensive non DL version of the unit.

Additional background info: I was looking for a system that could be expanded upon to eventually do video with data overlays and thought the AiM unit would be the best route as I could integrate the camera at a later date but use the data now in their software to review lap times and corner speeds in the interim. Should I have tried a different setup for my 996?
Nope, no usable information over the OBDII. And only CAN information if the car is year model 2002 or later.

You will need a direct connection to the CAN twisted pair of wires immediately adjacent to the fusebox in the drivers side footwell. You will get good throttle pedal position, engine RPM, coolant temp, brake on/off information, all of which can be placed on the background of the smartycam for useful review, plus a few more basic measures. Most good dealers have the correct cable and those with porsche experience set this up beforehand and send directions on the connection. Take a look for the 996 GT3 AiM threads. I've sold dozens of them.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-20-2019, 04:14 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Nope, no usable information over the OBDII. And only CAN information if the car is year model 2002 or later.

You will need a direct connection to the CAN twisted pair of wires immediately adjacent to the fusebox in the drivers side footwell. You will get good throttle pedal position, engine RPM, coolant temp, brake on/off information, all of which can be placed on the background of the smartycam for useful review, plus a few more basic measures. Most good dealers have the correct cable and those with porsche experience set this up beforehand and send directions on the connection. Take a look for the 996 GT3 AiM threads. I've sold dozens of them.
Like Peter said, need the CAN connection. I would suggest trying to work with who you purchased it from to exchange the OBDII cable for the CAN cable. There are some goods threads here about how to hookup, connectors, etc. Nothing hard and not too much time to do it.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:51 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Thanks Peter and Matt for the responses. My car is a 2003 so I'll try to get the CAN cable from the dealer I bought the system from.

If anyone could point me in the direction of a thread on how to hook it up I'd appreciate it!
Old 09-04-2019, 06:08 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Default CAN-bus

When I got my AiM SOLO 2 DL from Matt, I requested a CAN-bus cable. He did include the correct cable. My local installer opened up the dash and did some splicing....all I know is that my AiM SOLO 2 DL and my SmartyCam are connected, and I get some nice video.

Unfortunately, just as with my former AiM MXL-2, I cannot rustle up the enthusiasm to do post session analysis overlaying the SOLO 2 DL's data on to AiM Race Studio 3. I think its partially an age things, no computers in the classroom when I was coming up. We were lucky to have a BCT 2, that';s a Big Chief Tablet and a #2 pencil. And a MS DOS/Windows software competence thing. If it wont run on my MacBook Pro, or function on my iPhone X, I am not that interested. Maybe if we had AiM Seminars out west earlier in the year, their first offering out here is this month, September, I would have been motivated to attempt to master AiM race Studio 3. But it didn't happen and I have been seduced by Apple iOS apps, such as Harrys Lap Timer, Track Addict, my favorite APEX PRO, Speed Box and the new Porsche Track Precision App. I have all of these apps on my phone.

I am rambling....,I need to go to bed, 2:10 AM PDT here.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:07 AM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

So... I could not get the vendor I bought my unit from to supply the CAN-BUS cable so I reluctantly returned the unit to them for a refund.

I'm looking for a bit more data than the HLT can provide, but I'm coming up with too many different options and am looking for some advice...

Can anyone tell me what the 996 era folks are using?
Old 09-05-2019, 12:34 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Default What year 996?

So... I could not get the vendor I bought my unit from to supply the CAN-BUS cable so I reluctantly returned the unit to them for a refund.

I'm looking for a bit more data than the HLT can provide, but I'm coming up with too many different options and am looking for some advice...

Can anyone tell me what the 996 era folks are using?
All I know is that my 2004 GT3 accommodated the CAN-bus connection...feeds great info to my SmartyCam. I have heard that the earlier version s of the 996 could not be connected to CAN/bus? Perhaps it was non-existent until the middle of the model run.

Quick Reply: Aim solo DL. Can bus or OBD2?