Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Roblin
So... I could not get the vendor I bought my unit from to supply the CAN-BUS cable so I reluctantly returned the unit to them for a refund.

I'm looking for a bit more data than the HLT can provide, but I'm coming up with too many different options and am looking for some advice...

Can anyone tell me what the 996 era folks are using?
If you want to try the CAN connection, I, along with the other dealers here, can supply the unit and cable. The CAN cable hookup isn't a problem.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:56 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,347 Likes on 1,900 Posts

A little more detail on 996 fitment.

986/996 from 2002 to end of production do supply a simple template of channels from the blue/grey twisted pair near the fuse box. These channels include RPM, throttle pedal position, brake on/off (switch status), coolant temp, intake air temp, intake air pressure and maybe fuel level (I can’t remember without looking it up).

986/996 from 1998 to 2001 MY have known PIDs for throttle position and engine speed, as well as singular wheel speed, known for MoTeC, but you’ll have to write your own for AIM and VBOX. I’m working on the VBOX one.

This is true for all variants of the 996, I have supplied dozens of simple CAN connection Solo DL and Solo 2 DL as well as EVO4S and EVO5 for 2002-on 986/996 drivers that want more.

What people need to understand is that twenty years ago, few cars had a common network of communications within the car to talk to each other. It’s only been since about ten years ago that the sensor information was readily accessible and there, due to regulations requiring the addition of these sensors for anti lock brakes, stability controls and the like.

B.N., the era “before nannies,” people just installed sensors on their own for what they wanted to monitor, so even early 996’s, SPB and other cars can add these. That’s how 993, 964 and earlier cars do it.

996 poster, I got your PM and will respond today. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:15 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 349 Posts
Default Got my CAN-bus from Matt

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
If you want to try the CAN connection, I, along with the other dealers here, can supply the unit and cable. The CAN cable hookup isn't a problem.
My cable works flawlessly...see enclosed video if you wish
CONFESSION for anybody that knows Laguna Seca, I was using a slower line through Turn 9 after the Cork Screw, the fast way through is to take it wide (See Peter and Ross's Virtual Track Walk)***....don't know why I continued to make this mistake....no more!

*** If you go to Laguna Seca and haven't purchased their Video Track Walk, you'll be slow...guaranteed. I have 7 days in they year, looking to get in a few more, hpe tom total 10 in 2019.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:41 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Their are several legit folks who advocate a shallower entry to Turn 9 and driving around the inside, but it’s important to note that in the decades of Skip Barber schools, Allen Berg schools and others, the more open entry and delayed, more decisive turn in does show as quicker when executed well and with maximum commitment in acceleration out of Turn 8A and slowing for Turn 9 entry across a wide variety of cars and car types.

The significant straight under the pedestrian walkway bridge is the main reason why. You HAVE to fully exploit and traverse this section as FAST as you can, THEN slow and turn the car so you can get BACK on the throttle with full commitment sooner approaching the Turn 9 apex curbing, fully leveraging the compression.

Grant Ryley’s explanation is one of the best ever written on this. I’ve posted it in the Racing and DE section in the past.

On the brake indicator in the late 996, we spoke about this before, Martin. You can set your brake indicator up on the late 996 on CAN either using inline acceleration (representing g-force under braking, usually scaled to 1.1 or 1.2 full deflection), or to brake on/off. I haven’t looked at your video, but those are your choices.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:07 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Matt is Da Man

I took your advice on how to get brakes pedal lights on my AiM SOLO 2 DL to my savant Tech/mechanic. He was impressed with your advice, told me that Matt guy is pretty clever, he made the necessary tweeks and now I have a brake light on my AiM video.

Thanks Matt...service after the sale is very much appreciated.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:00 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Matt and Peter are Da Men

I spoke to Peter and Matt about how to get a braking light with a CAN-bus connection between mu AIM SOLO 2 DL and "loaner" SmartyCam. Both gave me the same advice that I forwarded off to my savant tech/wrench/data Guru, Lance out of Van Nuys, CA. Lance mentioned to me, these guys are right on the money....Lance had already figured it out....what he did corresponded to the input from Peter and Matt. Lance did the CAN-bus connection on my car, and it's flawless.

BTW, we all owe buckets of gratitude to Matt and Peter for all the support they have provided is Rennlisters. It has been invaluable. In addition, Peter and Ross, with their video seminars/webinars, over the top excellent. Their Virtual Track Walk of Laguna Seca has been very helpful to me in attempting to learn to drive Laguna Seca in my 204 GT3. If Speed Secrets has a Virtual Track Walk for any of the tracks you run, do yourself a big favor and subscribe. Some of their Track Walks also have accompanying pdf files to build a notebook.

Re. Data Logger support, we are blessed to have Matt and Peter. Out West, in my home town of Paso Robles, I have David Ferguson of Veracity Racing Data, an AiM dealer as well as other brands, he doesn't have a Rennlist presence, but knows data logging and application...so does one other guy, Lance out of Van Nuys, his brother is an AiM dealer. These four (4) guys are firmly entrenched in the Pantheon of AiM Data Logger gods. Few others have made their presence known to me.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:16 PM
ISO100
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Interested in 99 996 integration

Originally Posted by ProCoach

<snip>

986/996 from 1998 to 2001 MY have known PIDs for throttle position and engine speed, as well as singular wheel speed, known for MoTeC, but you’ll have to write your own for AIM and VBOX. I’m working on the VBOX one.
I'd be interested in learning about video capture/data log/track overlay: hardware, software (car and desktop/smart device) options for my MY99 996 C2.

PM is fine unless it is believed replies would be useful here (I don't want to hijack thread)
Old 10-23-2019, 06:48 PM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi all,
I am trying to hook up a Motec CDL3 on my 996.2 GT3 and I thought it may be the right place to ask. I am in need of the CAN templates. Would anyone have these or could point me in the right direction ?
Many thanks in advance
Cedric
Old 10-23-2019, 06:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Akira Technologies

Sylvain Loume
Z A St Frederic
Rue de la Galupe
64100 Bayonne
Phone: +33 559 50 11 39
Fax: +33 559 55 58 18
Email: akira.technologies@wanadoo.fr

Lorrtec Sas

Pierre-Antoine Rampon
Route de Montrevel
01190 Pont-de-Vaux
Phone: +33 385 22 17 63
Email: info@lorrtec.com
Web: www.lorrtec.com www.motorsportdiffusion.com

Louviers Auto Development

Christian Dieux
Route National 15
27400 Heudebouville
Phone: +33 232 40 47 40
Fax: +33 232 25 24 10
Email: administration-lad@wanadoo.fr

Matec Sport

Benoit Bazile
260 Route de Valendal
76590 Saint Honore
Phone: +33 786 66 5119
Email: info@matec-sport.com
Web: www.matec-sport.com

Promap

Valéry LeCoeur
Route de Bouchet
Quartier Bas Gibard
84820 Visan
Phone: +33 490 350 618
Mobile: +33 607 985 516
Email: info@promap-europe.com
Web: www.promap-europe.com
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-24-2019, 03:32 AM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Thanks Peter ;-)
Old 11-17-2019, 02:49 PM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Peter,

I have tried the contacts, and Motec support, but no one seem to be able to provide me with a CAN template. Would you have some (996 post 2002 ones) ? It would’really help !

many thanks for any help you may give me.

cedric
Old 11-17-2019, 08:22 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

The two guys I would suggest talking to in the US are MoTeC Joe https://www.digitalcompetitionsystems.com/ or Chris Brown http://squigglylines.com/ Both are exceptional MoTeC dealers, people, and data guys.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:16 AM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Thanks Matt, I am going to try this path...
Old 07-02-2020, 05:54 PM
fyeun001
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

986/996 from 2002 to end of production do supply a simple template of channels from the blue/grey twisted pair near the fuse box. These channels include RPM, throttle pedal position, brake on/off (switch status), coolant temp, intake air temp, intake air pressure and maybe fuel level (I can’t remember without looking it up).

This is true for all variants of the 996, I have supplied dozens of simple CAN connection Solo DL and Solo 2 DL as well as EVO4S and EVO5 for 2002-on 986/996 drivers that want more.

What people need to understand is that twenty years ago, few cars had a common network of communications within the car to talk to each other. It’s only been since about ten years ago that the sensor information was readily accessible and there, due to regulations requiring the addition of these sensors for anti lock brakes, stability controls and the like.

B.N., the era “before nannies,” people just installed sensors on their own for what they wanted to monitor, so even early 996’s, SPB and other cars can add these. That’s how 993, 964 and earlier cars do it.

996 poster, I got your PM and will respond today. Thanks.
Hello,

PM'ed for details on CAN connection for Solo 2 DL.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:03 PM
WP0ZZZ
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
Question

Very interesting thread on OBD II vs CAN.

I'm still struggling to understand why there are fewer channels available when connecting to a 997.2 GT3 via the OBD II port and more channels when connecting directly to the CAN bus. As far as I understand the OBD II port has CAN-high and CAN-low pins, is that right? Maybe the CAN pins in the OBD II port are not proper CAN signals?

These are the list of channels from the AiM documentation for the 997.2 GT3. Connecting to OBD II:

Connecting to CAN:

Quick Reply: Aim solo DL. Can bus or OBD2?