Notices

Targa Newfoundland

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 07:27 PM
Brendanger
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How about Cannonball Run

While not quite the same competitive experience, the organizer of Cannonball Run Europe is about to announce the arrival of a fun 6 day coast to coast road rally called the Great American Run. It's not until July 2007. The plan is to have 400 cars from 4 start cities on the east coast blaze 3000 miles to LA. If anyone is interested I think I can get discounts for all rennlist members. Entry fee is 10K but that includes all hotel accomodations, parties etc. Good times.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

^ does that include 4 strippers from UCLA and all the beer you can drink?
Old 04-23-2006, 10:38 AM
baldheadracing
Instructor

So Dennis, are you going? The entry list is up, and I don't see your name ...

M. Janes, why aren't you entered???

Anyhow, if I had any Porsche to run in Targa:

1989/90 964 C4 - AWD in Category 7, you can even super/turbocharge it and run in Cat7 modified. It rains in Newfoundland ...

1998 993tt AWD - AWD in Category 8. Would've won overall in 2002 if it didn't drop a valve.

1982/83 911 SC - fits in Category 7 "small displacement" (along with Roy/Adrienne's M3 ... the car/crew to beat in Cat7 ).

Rally Guy - Targa is setup to handle non-rally folks - most entrants have no experience in stage rally, and almost all the navvies come not knowing a tulip from a hole in the wall. Yes, I think it is dumb to spend $15k and arrive not ever even had run a TSD, but most do that, and they do enjoy themselves, they don't all break cars, and most do finish. Keep in mind that timing calculations in Targa are trivial compared to performance rally (except in 2002) - and now they're trivial compared to TSD. Besides, now that people have been running the same stages for a number of years - and notes are not allowed - it is pretty hard for a first-timer to win, anyhow.

As for Touring, er, Grand Touring, running it in a caged car that could run in the Targa classes would be torture, IMHO.

The TN website was just redesigned (now Flash-heavy) - nice 2 minute promo video added:
http://www.targanewfoundland.com/event_test.htm

Last edited by baldheadracing; 04-24-2006 at 02:52 AM. Reason: added URL
Old 04-24-2006, 07:07 PM
baldheadracing
Instructor

Lots of in-car from a stock '69 911 S that ran in Touring in 2004. Two brothers, first-time driver and navigator. (Navvie is an experienced amazingly-smooth driver, though.)

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=70tKAWAn
Old 05-02-2006, 03:09 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by baldheadracing
So Dennis, are you going? The entry list is up, and I don't see your name ...

M. Janes, why aren't you entered???

cause my skirt keeps getting caught in the pedals
Old 05-02-2006, 03:38 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Nah, Stacy has too many track days planned already. Stacy wears very short skirts I hear.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:08 PM
baldheadracing
Instructor

Okay ... umm ... errr ... RSR DE must be quite different these days ...
Old 05-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Targa on TV:

SPEED Channel will air the one-hour documentary on the 2005 Targa Newfoundland, beginning this weekend. If you didn’t catch it when it debuted on Global Television, this is your chance. Narrated by broadcaster/journalist/Open Division winner Jim Kenzie, and featuring some amazing car-to-car footage shot by John Buffum and Claude Gariepy in the factory Subaru WRX STi, it is a fun hour and a good look at this amazing event.

Details:

Saturday, May 6, 2006 – 2:00pm Eastern, 11:00am Pacific

Monday, May 8, 2006 – 4:00pm Eastern, 1:00pm Pacific.

As usual, check local listings.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:30 PM
cincysaab
AutoX

Tony Quinn had a 996 Turbo in the targa New Zealand. Can't remember how he placed, but i know that he has, or someone else w/ a 996 has won twice in the last several years.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:00 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Darkworx, I'm interested in seeing this Cayenne 'RS' - you're in vancouver no?
Old 05-23-2006, 06:26 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 610 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Rally Guy
I'd recommend (and the advice you'll probably get from the organizers) is run the "touring class" for at least one year. Unless you have LOTS of rallying experience (both TSD AND Stage rallying) you'l probably have very little fun, bust the car and not finish. I have 10+ years of TSD and years of stage rallying and I'd STILL run the TSD version first time out. Also - the "target times" or "average speeds" you need to achieve even in the Touring class can still be challenging. It's the best way to learn the ropes. Further - the cage will give you a sense of security that is helpful. I've run brisk TSD (Drivex) events in my caged stage car and it's actually quite fun.

I'm planning to run next year - not sure in what - hopefully a 964 C4.

RK
Hi guys,
Just noticed this thread.... while RK's reasoning is sound, that Touring would get you in less trouble, but if you're a speed junkie, you need to do the Targa class. My driver Casey and I ran it for the first time in 2004. Neither of us had ever done a rally (I'd done a couple gimmick rallys here and there, but nothing really organized), both of us are PCA Driving Instructors and Club Racers, and in fact, we had never been in the same car together prior to Demonstration Day (which they don't do anymore). We finished 1st in class, 3rd in division, and 6th overall.

You will only beat on your car if you TRY to beat on it. If you prep it right, pay attention to the pace notes, and drive within your limits, you'll be fine. Plus, you're not going to win overall the first year, so accept that and just try to make your Targa times.

Anyone who saw the special on Speed from Targa 2005 saw the Orange 911 that had the bad wreck? That was us. Not pretty, but it really should have been avoided for many reasons. Long story, but that was the exception, not the norm.

I'm building a 914/6 for this year, I'm driving, my wife Nadine is navigating. Should be a blast...again. This "once in a lifetime" event has become an obsession....

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 05-23-2006, 06:28 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

BTW, anyone that wants some detailed info, give me a call and I can help you out.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:59 AM
NZLcyclist
4th Gear

Originally Posted by cincysaab
Tony Quinn had a 996 Turbo in the targa New Zealand. Can't remember how he placed, but i know that he has, or someone else w/ a 996 has won twice in the last several years.
YES! THANK YOU! Someone that knows that a 996T aint a first in a Targa :P

I believe Will Selles and Tony Quinn have both been very successful (996T and GT3) but last year they got cleaned up by Professional GT3 driver Jim Richards! Nice one.

http://www.targa.co.nz/resultshtml2005/quickresults.htm
Old 07-14-2006, 03:01 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

This 968 from Ottawa will be competing in the Targa Newfoundland this year.
Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2006, 07:35 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Targa Newfoundland

Pretty much done on the car, this is what we're running (we'll have a different front valence since obviously this one's a bit low).

I put together a little history about the "restoration" on our website www.exclusive-motors.com go to About Us, and click on Bob's Cars, then on the link to this car.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Targa Newfoundland