Notices

Targa Newfoundland

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 11:44 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to have an idea of what the Targa is like, take a look at the Team Video at: http://www.darlingtonmediaworks.com/. There are some sample clips from the video, or you can buy it. Also, go to www.targanewfoundland.com, they will be able to answer most questions for you. SPEED TV will be showing their version of the Targa coverage on Jan 28.

Historicly, an older chassis with a new drivetrain (i.e a 1970's BMW Bavaria chassis that is all M3 underneath) has been the most competative since they were classed as an older car and had easier to meet target times. There are rules changes for 2006 that is going to change some of that, so I don't know which of your cars will be the most competative under the new rules.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:29 AM
Darkworx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And probably will be looking for a co-driver iffen I go through with this...
Old 01-06-2006, 10:44 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

^ i volunteer. You bring the entry fee..i'll bring the beer
Old 01-06-2006, 11:52 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
^ absolutly.
lefirst 996TT rallied in a major event, without factory backing at that!
Well, a Yellow Ruf RGT started the Newfoundland in 2003. I don't believe the car finished.

I have been working to get to this race for a while. The problem is finding the time . As much as I think a TT would be fun, I think a Subaru WRX STI is the car to go with. The problem I have been having is finding someone that does not want to drive. The rules state that you must have the same driver from start to finish...
Old 01-07-2006, 06:30 PM
Darkworx
Instructor

Yellow RGT eh? Very interesting...
Didn't finish you say...even more interesting...

I'm actually now thinking on entering the Mini S with full JWC and Sparcos and rollcage and ****e for the FIRST test run...see how the streets are...and maybe 07' I'll take the R Turbo... Only reserve I have is that it's AN R Turbo...formerly a 996TT which was modded.

But yes...please give me any input on this
Old 01-18-2006, 02:48 PM
BigHeadDennis
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yetis
Well, a Yellow Ruf RGT started the Newfoundland in 2003. I don't believe the car finished.

I have been working to get to this race for a while. The problem is finding the time . As much as I think a TT would be fun, I think a Subaru WRX STI is the car to go with. The problem I have been having is finding someone that does not want to drive. The rules state that you must have the same driver from start to finish...
Actually, go to the Targa website and download the 2006 rules package (great for bench racing over the winter too! ). You can indeed "share" the driving, so long as both are qualified to be drivers (e.g., have the proper racing licenses).

The Ruf blew out its front shock towers. Not really designed to pull a "General Lee" at speed....

vty,

--Dennis
Old 01-18-2006, 02:52 PM
BigHeadDennis
Instructor

Originally Posted by Darkworx
Yellow RGT eh? Very interesting...
Didn't finish you say...even more interesting...

I'm actually now thinking on entering the Mini S with full JWC and Sparcos and rollcage and ****e for the FIRST test run...see how the streets are...and maybe 07' I'll take the R Turbo... Only reserve I have is that it's AN R Turbo...formerly a 996TT which was modded.

But yes...please give me any input on this
The Cayenne would get its butt kicked if you ran in the Targa class. As powerful as it may be, it's not a sports car, and that's what you need for this. The Cayenne would do just fine in the Touring group, but, really, a stock Camry could do just as well (hey, it's a Time Speed Distance rally after all). Back issue of Panorama and/or Excellence has (have) an article about how two guys did the Targa back in 2003 or 2004 in a PCNA press fleet 996C4 in the Touring group, and had a blast.

The 996tt is probably an ideal car for this application. Again, go download the .pdf rules package, I think that'll have an impact on how you decide to proceed. The JCW Mini should be fine too, but you'll have more fun in the 996. As for the "abuse" - put some soft springs in it, tune the shocks, jack up the ride height, and try not to go airborne, and you'll be fine.

I'm planning on doing this year's Targa, and am putting together a transporter and support crew (out of New England) to head on up together. Should be fun!!!

vty,

--Dennis
Old 01-22-2006, 05:18 PM
Jersey Dave
Intermediate

When is the Targa Newfoundland? I thought it was late in the year??

Dave
Old 02-24-2006, 06:47 PM
BigHeadDennis
Instructor

Targa is in September, the 11th through 17th. Does anyone know if the Porsche factory tequipment bolt-in roll cage will comply with the roll cage requirements for Targa? I read through the technical rules bulletin, but am not sure... thanks!

vty,

--Dennis
Old 02-25-2006, 11:16 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Hello Guy's ,
Take a look at the entry fees first , it is not a CHEAP RACE !
Old 02-25-2006, 11:19 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

^ what does it cost to run these days? 5G's?
Old 02-25-2006, 11:04 PM
BigHeadDennis
Instructor

From the Targa website:

TARGA COMPETITION COSTS & WHAT IT GETS YOU.

The Targa Competition has a Super Early Bird Entry Fee of $3595 + Tax until January 1st, 2006, an Early Bird Entry fee of $3995 + Tax until April 1st, 2006 and a Regular Entry fee of $4495 + Tax (All prices are in Canadian Dollars) after April 1, 2006.
All entry fees must be paid in full by the deadline for each special (for example, if you take advantage of the Super Early Bird entry you must have the entry paid in full by January 1, 2006.
As an additional incentive, any fully paid entrant in Targa 2006 who is successful in recruiting a new entry in Targa will receive $250 per entry recruited. There is no limit on how many new competitors you bring to Targa. However, your recruit must be entered, paid and compete in the event for you to receive the credit.
Repeat competitors (from any year) are also eligible for a $200 discount off of the regular entry fee.

Entry Includes:

Entry into the Targa Competition.
Insurance covering 3rd party damage/medical and driver/co-driver medical (vehicle is not covered by event insurance).
All Lunches for the Driver & Co-Driver/Navigator for the 6 days of competition.
2 tickets to the 2006 Official Kick-Off Barbeque.
2 tickets to the 2006 Awards Banquet.
Identification for 1 Crew Vehicle.
A clothing package for the Driver and Co-Driver/Navigator which includes:
Competitors Jacket

Targa Baseball Cap

Targa T-Shirt

Targa Lapel Pin

Transportation from the evening vehicle expos to various hotels for the crews.
Luggage transportation for the crews from each overnight stop to the next.
And more...
Old 02-25-2006, 11:06 PM
BigHeadDennis
Instructor

So, it's not cheap, but it IS in Canadian dollars. IMHO, not bad for a full week of an once-in-a-lifetime adventure!

So... does anyone know if the Porsche Tequipment roll cage will qualify?

thx,

--Dennis
Old 04-08-2006, 06:21 AM
Peter Bull
Advanced

A guy with a 996 TT won the Targa Tasmania a couple of years ago. There are some quite spectacular images on the Targa Tasmania site.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:28 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd recommend (and the advice you'll probably get from the organizers) is run the "touring class" for at least one year. Unless you have LOTS of rallying experience (both TSD AND Stage rallying) you'l probably have very little fun, bust the car and not finish. I have 10+ years of TSD and years of stage rallying and I'd STILL run the TSD version first time out. Also - the "target times" or "average speeds" you need to achieve even in the Touring class can still be challenging. It's the best way to learn the ropes. Further - the cage will give you a sense of security that is helpful. I've run brisk TSD (Drivex) events in my caged stage car and it's actually quite fun.

I'm planning to run next year - not sure in what - hopefully a 964 C4.

RK

Quick Reply: Targa Newfoundland