Notices

Meguiar's Mirror Bright Winter Car Care Contest

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 04:58 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Be sure to wash the car above the beltline first, then do the lower half of the vehicle. This prevents the salt and grit from scratching the whole car.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:08 PM
mando_ii
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in San Diego so here is a general tip: Most people think paper towels do the job when it comes to cleaning windows, but it leaves a ton of streaks. Use a terry cloth towel to wipe windshields and car windows streak free. Wet the glass with Meguiar's Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner and wipe with a terry cloth towel. Next, flip the towel over on the other side and wipe again for a streak free and Perfect Clarity shine!

Last edited by mando_ii; 02-03-2016 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Wanted to add that I don't have winter weather in San Diego.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:00 PM
Dreamstate
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove snow from your car often. Direct sunlight at near freezing temperatures can melt the snow and then refreeze on the door seals which makes the doors tough to open and it's rough on the seals!
Old 02-03-2016, 06:21 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
If you won't be able to keep your car in the garage after a wash avoid washing your car when temperatures are below 20 Fahrenheit as it could result in frozen locks and ice build up in door jambs/seals.
Also, if you have a micro-crack in your windshield the below freezing temperature could open it up to a full fledged crack-zilla.

Ask me how I know...
Old 02-03-2016, 09:19 PM
Verinnal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rinseless washes are a great way to quickly wash your car in the winter without freezing to death. I use Meg's D114. It's great in 128:1 dilutions, but in winter I use it at a 50:1 ratio. Fill a bucket with rinseless wash, toss in 8-10 high quality microfiber towels. Keep two to three clean, dry towels handy. I try to only use 500+ GSM towels in the winter since there could be some crud on the car and I want really soft fluffy towels have the highest lift and trap properties. After pulling a wet towel from the bucket, fold it in half and then half again so you have a square. wipe down a 2x2 section of the car, fold, repeat. Once you're done with a section, I wipe down the whole section once more, quickly, and then I towel dry. Repeat until the whole car is done. As you go through all sides of a towel, toss that towel into an empty bucket so they dirty towels never touch paint until they're washed.

You can wash a whole car in about 15-20 minutes, and it will come out looking gorgeous. You can use D115, if you want a one step wash and wax, however I like just doing the wash without the wax additive, and then using a quick detailer to give it the final slick/glossy feel and finish.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:29 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

Thanks Verrinal, great tip. I never even heard of that product.

I usually wash my cars inside the garage but since my garage is only semi-heated in the winter the cars don't get washed as often as I like. This seems like a good suggestion for the in-between cleanings.

Of course if there is salt on the road nothing is going to beat a couple of ounces of car wash soap and plenty of rinse water.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:14 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget to check your windshield washer fluid. The washer fluid commonly sold during the warmer weather may only be rated for temperatures above 20 deg F. The fluid you want for cold weather use is rated to remain liquid to at least -20 deg F. The bottles are marked, but it's easy to overlook it and the result is a frozen solid washer system when you most need it. Years ago I learned this lesson the hard way and now only buy -20 fluid regardless of the season.

Another endorsement for Meguiar's Express Wash (D114) for winter, inside the garage, washing my car. Great stuff, although it's only available by the gallon which is enough to last an individual a lifetime!
Old 02-04-2016, 08:26 PM
981.GT4
Advanced

An easy way to remove bird droppings is to take a water soaked paper towel and let it sit on the affected area for 10-15 minutes. The bird droppings should come off very easily. Do not scrub or use any force. You can follow up with some quick detailer after the dropping are removed.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:24 PM
2001f4s
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

If your garage is subject to sub-freezing temperatures, bring your carwash products in the house for the Winter. Freeze/thaw reduces the effectiveness of many of these products. Learned this the hard way.

I also warm my quick shine product like "Meguiars Ulitmate Quik Detail" in a hot water bath prior to use. This keeps it from freezing immediately when applying to sub-freezing temperature sheet metal, like I encounter on my cold car in the garage in the middle of winter.

Last edited by 2001f4s; 02-08-2016 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:02 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

If you're parking the car for any extended periods during the winter, get a moisture absorber (I use Dry-Z-Air) to absorb any cabin moisture. This will prevent any type of musty smell later, or worse, a surface mold problem in the interior.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:38 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Winter car care is all about safety and looks, which require cleanliness. Wash and wax your exterior and thoroughly clean and detail your interior, including wheels, windows, and mirrors. Restore your headlights without drilling or sanding by using Meguiar's Perfect Clarity Headlight Restoration Kit. Just two simple steps: clean and coat. Lasts year round! Also, it's important to always have microfiber towels on hand for various quick cleaning. Keep the car clean at all times to be safe and looking good in your ride.

Last edited by bonus12; 02-04-2016 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:44 PM
n3rd
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Do not drive Porsche in winter. Clean with Maguires products and admire while inside safety of the garage.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:06 AM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

If your car will be driven in winter, use a paint sealant (synthetic wax). Unlike carnauba wax products, an paint sealant is better equipped to shield against water and road salts. The polymers used in modern paint sealants cross-link, creating a barrier that’s more difficult for water, road salts and chemicals to penetrate.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:56 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

It goes without question that starting the winter season with a freshly waxed vehicle is essential to protecting the paint from road salt, etc. But, I suggest keeping that wax protection throughout the winter months by boosting your wax with a quality spray wax after each wash. It adds protection and will make the car easier to clean.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:51 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get wipers blades that are actually designed to be used in the winter.

Quick Reply: Meguiar's Mirror Bright Winter Car Care Contest