Notices

Like an Idiot, I scratched my rear bumper 964 c2. Please help me to correct this

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 02:19 AM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Like an Idiot, I scratched my rear bumper 964 c2. Please help me to correct this

So like an idiot. I was backing in to my garage. When I finished parking. I found that there was a car board box next to the pass side rear bumper. further inspection, i saw the corner of the box was touching the bumper. the box had some weight to it. and of course, I found a streak of horror. a good foot long streak.

my car is guards red 964. the damage looks like those you would see on the clear coat finished. except this is on a single stage red paint. Doesn't feel any depth with touch of finger. still smooth, no sharp edges.

I am very angry at myself. I could've been more careful. the car was otherwise near perfect paint. I will not be able to sleep tonight. been searching internet for fixes.

Before I do any more stupid things. Does anyone has experience on fixing this kind of problem?

Sorry, I forgot to take pictures. I will post them tomorrow.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:36 AM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't fret too much. If you cannot catch a finger nail on the scratch there is a very good chance that it can be buffed out. What does your detailing arsenal look like? You may have some things on the shelf that may help.

If not, let me know where you are located and I can see if I have a peer in the area that can help you buff that out.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:30 AM
FlyinTomato
Banned

the more i think about it. it's more like a streak of scuff. I only have the meguire scratchx at my disposal. I am in nyc

Last edited by FlyinTomato; 06-10-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

First thing I would do is to pick up a clay bar kit and see if that will do the trick. Typically clay will work great on scuffs.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:27 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Originally Posted by Gator996
First thing I would do is to pick up a clay bar kit and see if that will do the trick. Typically clay will work great on scuffs.
I am not sure a clay bar will help in his case. If there is still paint underneath a light polish will clear it up. If the there is no paint left, I have applied paint touch up, wait a few days for it to harden and polish slowly to level if off.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:34 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Can I use meguair scratchx to polish it out? Will it eat away too much paint?

I will follow this guy when I get this scuff off and work on the whole car in the near future.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ge-paints.html
Old 06-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

You should be ok with ScratchX. Porsches, like most modern paints, are fairly thin so start gently.

Good idea to plug into Mike Phillips. He is a good friend and has taught me tons over the years. If you can ever make it down to his detailing boot camp I highly recommend it.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:30 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Gator, good to know someone here is familiar with Mike. I've learned about autogeek a while ago. but never really got into it. since my last car was fairly new. paint was good.

Now the 964 is different story. I would really love to restore the shine of the paint. There is light spider webs all over. I suppose that can only be smooth out with polish and porter cable?
Old 06-10-2013, 09:51 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Machine polishing is really the only way to remove the marring. You just can't create enough rpm's and heat by hand. Essentially, you are leveling the scratches down to the level of the paint. You will remove some paint in the process but that has to happen.

The Porter Cable is a great machine to start with. The correct type of pad and products complete the system. Can the PC burn through paint? Sure can if you try hard enough but it's a forgiving machine.

I will help you in any way I can so please feel free to contact me. I have been polishing cars for over 20 years and each one I do is a strive for perfection.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:55 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 748 Likes on 391 Posts

Can you take a photo. It sounds like a light scuff. Just use a light polish, or even paint cleanser, and dab it on microfiber towel. Rub the area that's scuffed and see if it gets better. Let us know how it turns out
Old 06-16-2013, 12:15 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

sorry for taking so long to take the pic. I haven't seen my car since the incident.

It's a lot worse than i initially thought. the scratch is deep. it catches nail. I would think its more like it has been "keyed". very upset about it. what is the best way to correct this now? I have touch up paint. I was thinking to buy a fine point paint brush. then us the connecting dot method to touch it up.

Name:  709pWRG.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  75.1 KB

Quick Reply: Like an Idiot, I scratched my rear bumper 964 c2. Please help me to correct this