Notices

Porter Cable 7424XP... spins like a rotary. what gives?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 11:09 AM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Porter Cable 7424XP... spins like a rotary. what gives?

So i was given a 7424XP for xmas and finally broke it out last weekend. I put a backing plate on it and a new uber pad to glaze the car. I was expecting it to vibrate and leave a half moon shape trail.... but instead it is spinning like crazy and unless i put a ton of pressure on it - it continues to spin. Could i be doing something wrong?
Old 05-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

The XP uses the same motion as the previos 7424 but it's far more powerful thus it will spin the pad and you will need to be more careful around rubber trim and near the edges of paint. I tape off much more since I started using the XP to insure that I don't burn or damage any edges.

Makes me wonder how powerful the Flex is in comparison.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:26 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

so more spinning than vibrating is normal? I have used other random orbit polishers and they spin a bit but nothing like this. I can put most of my weight on it and it stops spinning but the vibrating is more a motor fatigue feeling than a random orbit feeling
Old 05-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ryan,

The head should definitely oscillate and it will vibrate but it is a smoother machine than the first generation 7424. For reference mine will also spin even with the pad half compressed (medium pressure) while using a cutting pad and Meguiars M105 although mine is a Griots version (rebadged 7424Xp).
Old 05-11-2011, 07:41 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A Dual action machine (random elliptical centripetal orbit ( OPM) is one that has two controlled components of the backing plate / pad; orbiting around a centre spindle, while the baking plate / pad freely spins on its own axis. The backing plate mounting is off-centre, as the drive rotates centrifugal force moves the backing plate in an elliptical motion, to balance this motion a counter weight is fitted to counteract machine vibration

The pad rotation of a duel-action is driven by its orbital speed. The faster the machine orbits, the more centrifugal force is applied to the backing plate, which results in its random elliptical centripetal orbit (OPM). A pad with a large contact area absorbs the orbital action due to its high surface resistance. A 5.5-inch foam pad has much less surface resistance than its equivalent 6.5-ich pad and will provide better correction
Old 05-15-2011, 09:46 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 695 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by ryano
I was expecting it to vibrate and leave a half moon shape trail.... but instead it is spinning like crazy and unless i put a ton of pressure on it - it continues to spin.
At what rate is it spinning? If it is anything like the el-cheapo polisher I used to use, it may spin in the tens of RPMs per minute, if that...nothing like any other rotary power tool. If I held the edge of the pad, it would stop spinning.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IXLR8
At what rate is it spinning? If it is anything like the el-cheapo polisher I used to use, it may spin in the tens of RPMs per minute, if that...nothing like any other rotary power tool. If I held the edge of the pad, it would stop spinning.
It's nothing like a sears buffer or similar, it is definitely a powerful tool and you could easily burn your fingers on a spinning pad.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:49 AM
ryano
Burning Brakes

well i figured it out.... when i put the backing plate on I missed putting a spacer on. I took it apart and put it on and it works perfectly now. so odd...

Quick Reply: Porter Cable 7424XP... spins like a rotary. what gives?