Notices

Blotchy Rubber Molding

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 12:36 AM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blotchy Rubber Molding

The rubber trim on my 98 Acura looks more like suede than rubber. This car has faced many a winter and in truth has not been given the best of care. The rubber around the windows, rear quarter window and elsewhere looks terrible. I tried simple green, goof-off, oops all to no avail. I need something to really get back down to the layer of good rubber and take all the "dead" rubber off. Can someone here recommend something to try that works?
TIA
Old 09-17-2010, 03:39 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 708 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarhombre
The rubber trim on my 98 Acura looks more like suede than rubber. This car has faced many a winter and in truth has not been given the best of care. The rubber around the windows, rear quarter window and elsewhere looks terrible. I tried simple green, goof-off, oops all to no avail. I need something to really get back down to the layer of good rubber and take all the "dead" rubber off. Can someone here recommend something to try that works?
TIA
Can you post a picture? It could very well be the rubber is oxidized and deteriorating. If not, a good plastic/rubber cleaner like einszett Plastic Cleaner should do the trick.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:09 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

You might also try applying the rubber/vinyl conditioner on a regular basis using a Microfiber. The Microfiber will help abrade some of the top layers and condition at the same time.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:21 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
You might also try applying the rubber/vinyl conditioner on a regular basis using a Microfiber. The Microfiber will help abrade some of the top layers and condition at the same time.
Good idea.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:29 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Thanks so much for the info guys. I'll try and find the cleaner.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:37 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

It seems like this cleaner is for interior use. Hmmmm.....
Old 09-19-2010, 06:22 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

‘Rubber’ Seals

The seals on most vehicles are no longer made of natural rubber; vehicle manufacturers use a specialized synthetic material called ethylene propylene diene monomer (EPDM). Real rubber, or blends containing real rubber, just cannot endure the direct exposure to sunlight (ultraviolet light) and the harmful-to-rubber oxidizing gases in our atmosphere.

The soft seals around doors, windows, and sunroof’s hood and trunk are constantly subjected to thermal flex and compressed all the while being subjected to a hostile environment. To remain functional, they must stay flexible and require protection from the environment. The surfaces can be cleaned using a damp micro fibre towel and Iz einszett 'Plastik-Reiniger' Door and window seals must be treated 3-4 times a year. Use Iz einszett Gummipflege to treat all seals and caskets.

Alternative products-
1. Swissvax Seal Feed-Gum Feed (contains glycerine) to treat all seals and caskets.
2. Gummipflege Stift - It applies directly from the bottle like a shoe polish; when it dries it creates a dark matte seal, durability measured in months it has a little sponge on top of the bottle so you always get the right amount of product on your weather-stripping or rubber seals. Once applied to rubber they will take on a dark but natural shine. Use bi-annually to provide UV protection to avoid rubber from hardening or freezing – Detailer’s Domain
3. Zymol Seal a natural plant anti-oxidizing agent, it will prolong the useful life of the seal by restoring the original moisture and resist tearing and sticking
4. Wurth Rubber Care Gel Stick- a silicone-free, biodegradable, and water repellent

Restoration

Water- based polymer products form a molecular bond and provide a longer lasting matte finish, similar to the OEM. Solvent-based dressings have more shine, but can be removed with detergents and pressure washers. Vinyl, plastic and rubber restoration products contain dyes that can stain the paint surface, so they should be removed before they are allowed to dry.

PermaShine Textured Plastic Restorer & Protectant - is a brush, or spray-on, permanent coating that protects textured, automotive cladding and trims from UV damage, and restores those already faded. PermaShine sticks so well to the surface, a pressure washer cannot rinse it off, and this is not a dressing that washes-off. It is a durable coating that lasts for months. TOTL
Old 09-21-2010, 01:28 AM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Wow. Talk about going back to school! Thanks for the superb write up! My problem though, is not with the door seals. It is the moldings around the windows (primarily the quarter windows). And yes: I believe oxidation is the culprit here. I will try and post pics but I think you might be saying there is no reversal from oxidation. Am I incorrect?
PS
Not my car but the window molding and the hatch molding is visible.
Attached Images  
Old 09-22-2010, 06:43 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

I have the same issue with my wife's acura MDX. Our car sleeps indoors. Yet still has the same issue.
We are in Florida and it is a 2005!
I have also tried a bunch of products, both auto and marine, with no success.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:48 AM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

I think I'm in the same boat Ron! It would have taken less to prevent it than it will to fix it! Arrggg!
Old 09-27-2010, 03:43 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have great luck with the Griot's rubber cleaner. Better than expected.

Before:

After:

This rag was new when I started, and this was the base of just two seals. It takes a bit of rubbing, but it will clean them up quite nicely.

Check it out here!
Old 09-27-2010, 05:06 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info. I just ordered it. I'll post pics if I get good results!
Old 10-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Auto Concierge
Track Day

Tarminator with a microfiber followed with 303 protectant works great as well.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:37 AM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

The Griots made some change, but nothing drastic has changed. What's this tarminator stuff and who makes it, please?
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2010, 02:18 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by pcarhombre
The Griots made some change, but nothing drastic has changed. What's this tarminator stuff and who makes it, please?
I'd HIGHLY recommend the 1z Plastic Cleaner....why? Because it WORKS every time. Give it a try...if it doesn't work, we'll refund you 100%.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...C-vinyl/Detail

Quick Reply: Blotchy Rubber Molding