Notices

Anybody actually do concours?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 03:27 PM
jwlester
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody actually do concours?

Is there anyone here that keeps up with concours? Things seem to have turned into a detailing forum. That's fine. Don't get me wrong. I'm not bagging on anything. I was just curious if there is anyone here that has done concours restoration or competes etc? While I don't have a worthy car at the moment, it intrigues me and I think my next purchase may go that direction.

I'd love to hear, see, learn what you have have, what you've done, and any observations you have. So, lets hear it.

Have a great day, Josh
Old 05-07-2010, 06:01 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

About ten years ago i was a concours d’élégance entrant then judge, and then on to writing car care articles /instructions. Do you have specific question?
Old 05-07-2010, 12:01 PM
jwlester
Rennlist Member

Not anything specific. just haven't seen much conversation about it on here over the few years. I'm more or less curious to see what others have done. This is your chance to show off! Thanks.

Josh
Old 05-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I've been showing in Full concours since 2003. I've placed 2nd or 1st in every show with one exception which was the Fairfield Concours last year. A beautifully restored 356 won that show and it was well deserved.

I'm entering in four Full concours this year, the first coming up next weekend.

I have also judged in three different shows over the years and I will probably start judging in PCA if asked.

I also ocasionally will prep other owners cars for concours and I know that one of them took 1st in class.

I still enjoy the challenge although I do find that once I've won a few shows with one car I want another to start all over.

For reference, Full Concours includes all areas of the car with exception to the underbody. Wheel wells, wheels, engine, battery area, spares, tools, interior and exterior are all included. Definitely need to pay attention to the details.

Last edited by Marine Blue; 05-07-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:08 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I did a few Concours with the local PCA. My goal was to win an event. I did so on my second try. First place for Class C (inside, outside, front & rear trunks) at the Geneva Concours with my Boxster. Best part was my then 5 year old daughter going up to the podium to get my little trophy!

Lot of fun. Lots of work. Great people. May do them again in the future.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:03 PM
jwlester
Rennlist Member

Any detail shots you want to show off? Any areas or jobs you are particularly proud of on any of your cars?

Cheers, Josh
Old 05-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jwlester
Any detail shots you want to show off? Any areas or jobs you are particularly proud of on any of your cars?

Cheers, Josh
Here are a few random pics of the 928.

No pics in this computer of my MB 500E, I would have to find those online!
Attached Images             
Old 05-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

That is one clean 928!

I just did a full concours yesterday, & took 1st. I've done quite a few local ones, & a few national ones.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
That is one clean 928!

I just did a full concours yesterday, & took 1st. I've done quite a few local ones, & a few national ones.
Thanks! And that is a really nice 993. Congrats on the win.

My wheel wells are even cleaner now. I've since cleaned them again and have wiped them down several times. After that initial cleaning it gets much easier each time the wheels come off. When I finally change out the rotors I'll have them nickel plated like I did on the MBZ.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Try this stuff, works awesome on the wheel wells, & body parts!! I can't find any pics of mine, but the are clean enough to eat off of.

http://www.cleanitwithxenit.com/
Old 05-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Try this stuff, works awesome on the wheel wells, & body parts!! I can't find any pics of mine, but the are clean enough to eat off of.

http://www.cleanitwithxenit.com/
Thanks for the heads up! I've become very paranoid about what I use to clean my cars these days. When I cleaned my 500E I used Simple Green followed by Griots Undercarriage spray and it looked perfect! What I discovered a year late was that one of the two chemicals caused micrcracks on the rubber suspension bushings. I've also seen wheel well liners cracked on other concours cars prepped by others. Obviously a chemical compatibility issue.

When I cleaned the 928 I initially only used car wash soap which is what you see in the pictures. I have since washed again with P21 Total Auto Wash which is suppose to be safe for all types of materials. I try to keep the residence time to a minimum and so far the suspension rubber still looks perfect. I now apply the undercarriage spray to the metal parts using a microfiber cloth so it doesn't contact any rubber.

Xenit appears to be citrus based which is good. Does it have any petrochemicals? Has anyone been using it for at least a year or two and can they state if their undercarriage parts look good after a year or two? If yes, I'll definitely give it a try!

Sorry for the long reply.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Thanks for the heads up! I've become very paranoid about what I use to clean my cars these days. When I cleaned my 500E I used Simple Green followed by Griots Undercarriage spray and it looked perfect! What I discovered a year late was that one of the two chemicals caused micrcracks on the rubber suspension bushings. I've also seen wheel well liners cracked on other concours cars prepped by others. Obviously a chemical compatibility issue.

When I cleaned the 928 I initially only used car wash soap which is what you see in the pictures. I have since washed again with P21 Total Auto Wash which is suppose to be safe for all types of materials. I try to keep the residence time to a minimum and so far the suspension rubber still looks perfect. I now apply the undercarriage spray to the metal parts using a microfiber cloth so it doesn't contact any rubber.

Xenit appears to be citrus based which is good. Does it have any petrochemicals? Has anyone been using it for at least a year or two and can they state if their undercarriage parts look good after a year or two? If yes, I'll definitely give it a try!

Sorry for the long reply.
First, doing the wheel wells & undercarriage is a PITA! Very labor intensive, & you will BLEED doing it. It also trashes a few towels, many rubber gloves, & small brushes.

It mostly used to remove the colsmoline on the wheel well liners & suspension. It really doesn't remove dirt, or grease. Usually you start with P21S or something like that, then use the Xenit. Spray on, let it sit, wipe off, repeat. I've done a few cars with it, & there have not been any issues. It has also been used on a couple of BMW engines with no issues. The cracks, & drying out are usually from using kerosine, or Concours fav, lacquer thinner. I would never use any of them on any car.

I also lerned simple green is not that good for things, it really doesn't wash away & leave a film. It can also mess up aluminum parts.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

No kidding, wheel wells and the engine bay are a major pain!. I dread having to clean/prep these areas although I admit when it's done it is gratifying.

I will have to give Xenit a try. The P21 S TAW did remove more of the cosmoline but not all of it. I'll report back after giving it a try later this summer.

BTW I also won't use simple green anymore. Not only can it attack aluminum if not used properly, it may ultimately be responsible for the Microcracking I saw on the rubber suspension parts.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:13 PM
jwlester
Rennlist Member

Great stuff. This is the sort of thing that allows the little bit of OCD in us all to escape. I feel much better knowing everything on the car is this clean. Even if you aren't into concours, a good cleaning to this level helps you keep the car in top mechanical shape later on.

The little details intrigue me. Tell me about things like the paint marks that are found on bolts, suspension parts, etc. How do you know what is supposed to be there originally? I'd like to make sure all the little manufacturing details such as this are back in place.

Cheer, Josh
Old 05-11-2010, 10:40 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Josh when you start down the road to concours it can be just as slippery a slope as racing. This is enhanced if you have OCD! There are so many details which can have a big affect on the overall appearance on the car as you've noted.

The trick to getting the paint markings right is to find a car that retains them. This has two meanings. Either you find a car that is in very good condition, buy it and make it perfect by restoring it further or alternatively buy a car which needs some work and then find a low mileage car you can use as a reference point while you restore your car.

My 928 has 32K miles and was a SoCal car. The entire car is completely original with exception to the short shifter which isn't visible. Those paint markings are original, I haven't done a thing other than very careful and extensive cleaning of everything.

My goal isn't really to create a concours worthy car, it's to create a car that is the equivalent of driving a new car off the dealers lot. That means the car needs to look, feel, smell and drive perfect too. It also means using OE parts wherever possible. Costs more but it definitely is rewarding to experience.

Quick Reply: Anybody actually do concours?