Notices

Anybody actually do concours?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 06:53 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A d-limonene based (citrus) solvent is considered 'safe' and I use it for evrything on my vehicles

The old formula Simple Green caused micr-cracks in aluminim parts, which compromised structural integrity.

[Simple Green is corrosive and will react with bare aluminium causing hydrogen embrittlement (this is also known as stress cracking corrosion). As the cleaner gradually ferments it reduces the pH from its normal mildly alkaline state to acidic. Slow corrosion of the aluminium results, generating a little hydrogen on the surface.

Anaerobic conditions also generate hydrogen and hydrogen sulphide bio chemically, producing small amounts of methane. The aluminium probably has sufficient residual stress to be susceptible to hydrogen stress cracking, and this can be accelerated by the sulphide.] Simple Green

Their new formulation however is 'safe' to use on aliminimum-Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner - http://industrial.simplegreen.com/ind_prod_ext_mor.php
Meets Boeing Specs –D6 – 1748-7P (Water - based, no Hydrocarbon solvents)
Old 05-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Here are a couple shots of my 928 from this past weekends concours.

Took first in class, full concours....
Attached Images   
Old 05-20-2010, 10:31 AM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 86 Posts

You guys have some great cars, I am glad to see some enthusiasm re: Concours. I have done the 2000 hour restoration thing for many years before transitioning over to pro racing, for me the most gratifying thing are projects where you learn more about the car over long term ownership. The only suggestion I would add is to carefully read the rules for judging emphasis as you move up in classes with higher expectations! I am working on a neat project for the Porsche Parade this year, a GT3RS.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cscrogham
You guys have some great cars, I am glad to see some enthusiasm re: Concours. I have done the 2000 hour restoration thing for many years before transitioning over to pro racing, for me the most gratifying thing are projects where you learn more about the car over long term ownership. The only suggestion I would add is to carefully read the rules for judging emphasis as you move up in classes with higher expectations! I am working on a neat project for the Porsche Parade this year, a GT3RS.
You bring up a really good point. It seems that every region has differnet guidelines regarding how the car needs to be prepared and what is looked at. For example this past weekend the wheel wells needed to be cleaned for the concours but with events in NER they didn't. Placement of the cars manuals also seem to differ from show to show but no one really has guidelines for this nor do I ever see any rules provided ahead of time to entrants. Can be frustrating when some are in the know and others are not.

Regardless, I was able to finish first and I'm going to address every area the judges pointed out to me. Easy stuff
Old 05-20-2010, 12:35 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Congrats!!

Yes, rules change from place to place, & some don't make any sense. Every spring, the car gets put on jack stands to clean the under side & wheel wells. One good cleaning, & then it's as easy as cleaning the wheels.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:57 PM
mx22
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you did beat that 944 after all? Sorry, couldn't stick around until the end...

Cheers!
Old 05-20-2010, 10:17 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 124 Posts

I want you clean cars, really enjoy looking at them and give you serious credit but weirdly I can't be bothered. to you all though.

Stealth, I see from your avatar you don't mind tracking every now and then - how do you balance such use (paint damage etc) with your concurs ambitions?
Old 05-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nope, they separated the 944's. Next year I'll be ready, I know exactly what I need to do to get a perfect score. Luckily it's nothing major, just some cleaning in areas I missed and areas I didn't think they would look (like moving the seats forward to check the rails.). Just picked up some white lithium grease for the seat rails today in fact.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:24 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Congrats!!

Yes, rules change from place to place, & some don't make any sense. Every spring, the car gets put on jack stands to clean the under side & wheel wells. One good cleaning, & then it's as easy as cleaning the wheels.
Yup, this is pretty much what I do. Actually the wheel wells are easy to keep clean if you don't drive in the rain. The wheels and calipers on the other hand are a PITA.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Yup, this is pretty much what I do. Actually the wheel wells are easy to keep clean if you don't drive in the rain. The wheels and calipers on the other hand are a PITA.
Drive in the rain? Did you not see where I live? Yes, it's better when the rain & road crap doesn't get stuck up in there.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:04 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been showing in Full concours since 2003.

For reference, Full Concours includes all areas of the car with exception to the underbody. Wheel wells, wheels, engine, battery area, spares, tools, interior and exterior are all included. Definitely need to pay attention to the details.
MB,

For Reference, PCA Full Concourse DOES INCLUDE the under carriage.

PCA STREET CLASS DOES NOT.

http://zone8.pca.org/rules/2010/2010Z8ConcoursRules.pdf

Here are a couple of great resources:

http://zone8.pca.org/events_concours.php
http://zone8.pca.org/Articles/concours101.pdf

Also it is a good idea to attend a PCA Concours Judging school as a lot of information and tips are passed on in orally.

Also you can get in on the group buy of the Prozac.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:48 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FGL28
MB,

For Reference, PCA Full Concourse DOES INCLUDE the under carriage.

PCA STREET CLASS DOES NOT.

http://zone8.pca.org/rules/2010/2010Z8ConcoursRules.pdf

Here are a couple of great resources:

http://zone8.pca.org/events_concours.php
http://zone8.pca.org/Articles/concours101.pdf

Also it is a good idea to attend a PCA Concours Judging school as a lot of information and tips are passed on in orally.

Also you can get in on the group buy of the Prozac.
You make my point perfectly. Seems every region has a different definition of what full concours is. For example, NER region did not judge the undercarriage nor did the group in Long Island for Full Conours.

From what I've heard from others, the only time the undercarriage is judged is at the National events but it appears that maybe Zone 8 is also judging undercarriage.

There's no consistency. It's not really a big deal but it certainly would help so the car can be prepared properly.

When I was living in SoCal I attended their concours judging school. I still have and reference the guide I received from that class. Very helpful.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:50 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You make my point perfectly. Seems every region has a different definition of what full concours is. For example, NER region did not judge the undercarriage nor did the group in Long Island for Full Conours.

From what I've heard from others, the only time the undercarriage is judged is at the National events but it appears that maybe Zone 8 is also judging undercarriage.

There's no consistency. It's not really a big deal but it certainly would help so the car can be prepared properly.

When I was living in SoCal I attended their concours judging school. I still have and reference the guide I received from that class. Very helpful.
Well PCA National states that Full Concours includes the under carriage.

So in our Zone we are just following National's rules. As is:

Zone 7 http://zone77.org/files/htm/concrules.htm#class

Zone 6 http://zone6-pca.org/zone6/zone6disp...010&Window=New

Zones just following the rules set forth by National.

One other good thing is to have a Concours prep weekend with a group of like minded people.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Around here they do the undercarridge, wheel wells, & of course engine bay. The judges are also allowed to reach back & hit the back side of the rims. Of course you got to take apart the front trunk for inspection. Doing a full, you got to do a LOT of prep. I have pics of half of my car apart to clean all the little nooks & craines.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've showed in a couple of PCA full concours events and here is what was checked.

NER
- engine, exterior, interior, wheels, behind wheels, trunk, tools, spare tire (removed).

NJR
- engine, wheel wells, exterior, interior, wheels, behind wheels, trunk, tools, spare (not removed).

Quick Reply: Anybody actually do concours?