Notices

Leather Treatment (now with before/after pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leather Treatment (now with before/after pics)

Hi,

I know this has been discussed a lot of times. But I have an interior that is in 'as new' condition. But it annoys me that I just found a tiny scratch on the A-pillar in the 964T.

So I thought - that once for all - it could be nice to sum up everything about leather treatments.

Someone says the leather in our cars are not real leather - other says it is leather. No matter what it is, what should I be using to maintain the leather ? I normally treat the leather twice a year with some 'leather oil treatment' from Porsche. - But if the seats ain't real leather, that might not be the best solution ? I don't want to end up with a car that is made-up - are there any miracle leather treatments ?

My biggest problem is the seats.
The seats look new, but the age are about to show sign if I don't do something. I have attached a picture, actually it looks a lot worse in the picture than it really is, but well.

Oh, and then the tiny scratch I found tonight - how do I repair that ?

Thanks in advance
Attached Images  

Last edited by Vifa; 04-24-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Vifa do a search under my screen name, I have already described in detail what to use to condition and how to repair light scratches. My post includes several pictures.

The leather in our cars is real leather but it is processed and painted, not dyed. The painted surface allows the grain to come through and it does a better job protecting the leather. It does need to be maintained regularly to keep it looking good.

My preferred product is Leathermasters Strong Cleaner and Leathermasters Vital Conditioner. Both work extremely well and will soften and keep the leather looking new.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:58 AM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Thanks, I did a search on your name and read some of your threads. The 'touch up' you did, I guess that is some kind of 'repaint process' then since our seats are painted and not dyed? How long does that last ?

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
It does need to be maintained regularly to keep it looking good.
The product I have now is this: http://shop1.porsche.com/usa/car/911-996/00004400003/

So for a regular maintenance you just use some conditioner ?

I normally use to vacuum clean the car first, and then apply the conditioner with a sponge. Any other approaches ? Does anyone apply something afterwards ?
Old 04-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

The touch up is a paint which has very similar qualities to what Porsche used. The finish, flexibility and color match are hard to tell apart unless you are looking very closely and know exactly where the paint was applied. I can't state how long it lasts since I only applied it last year but so far everything is holding up very well.

All auto manufacturers will outsource their detailing products to major companies such as 3M, Meguiars or European suppliers and what they offer usually has very subtle differences from an off the shelf product.

In my opinion it is best to choose from specialty suppliers which are experts in whatever area they sell products. For example, Leatherique and Leathermasters products are superior to any off the shelf or product I've used from a big supplier. They specialize in leather and they won't survive if their products are not genuinely good.

Vacuuming the seats is extremely important. I use the soft brush attachment connected to a very strong vacuum cleaner to clean deep into the stitching and crevices. This removes the embedded dirt/dust and clothing fibers. If the leather is dirty I use a cleaner and then follow up with a conditioner.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

I applied some of my Porsche leather conditioner to the place of the seat as shown in the picture above just to try it tonight. It really did make the leather feel soft again, but didn't do much to smooth out the 'cracks'.

I see you are quite fond of Leatherique and Leathermaster products; I know Leathermaster products can be bought where I live (Denmark). Does Leathermaster have anything to smooth out the wear caused by age ? More specific the place referred to in the attached picture ?
Old 04-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately I don't think they offer paints. Leatherique does offer paint so if you have a local supplier you may be able to source it through them. I didn't realize you were in Denmark, I'm not sure what is readily available there.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:33 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

I am now about to order some products from Leathermaster, and they actually did had a 'Colour make up'. How should I apply the 'Colour make up' ?.. With some kind of brush ? And most important, will there be any colour differences and if so how to avoid this ?
Old 04-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Can you direct me to the paint website?
thanks
Dwane
Old 04-15-2010, 11:05 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vifa
I am now about to order some products from Leathermaster, and they actually did had a 'Colour make up'. How should I apply the 'Colour make up' ?.. With some kind of brush ? And most important, will there be any colour differences and if so how to avoid this ?
I applied Leather Magic touch up paint using a very fine artists brush. I used my fingertips to wipe away the excess and the result was paint in only the areas that needed it. The Leather Magic product is an exact match. I don't have experience with Leathermasters touch up so I can't really comment on how well it will match. Are they referencing a Porsche color chart or are you choosing from an existing palate of colors? Do they offer match to sample?
Old 04-16-2010, 03:45 AM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by d964
Can you direct me to the paint website?
thanks
Dwane
Yes, but that is the danish site. Leathermaster had a danish dealer so I decided to try them first. http://www.leathermaster.dk/default2.asp?idH=2
But I have attached the colour chart as a pic here.

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I applied Leather Magic touch up paint using a very fine artists brush. I used my fingertips to wipe away the excess and the result was paint in only the areas that needed it. The Leather Magic product is an exact match. I don't have experience with Leathermasters touch up so I can't really comment on how well it will match. Are they referencing a Porsche color chart or are you choosing from an existing palate of colors? Do they offer match to sample?

Thanks for the tips They didn't had colour to sample or a Porsche colour chart, but a medium blue should be just fine for me they said, but with no guarantee that it would match 100 %. I have attached the colour chart they have for the Colour Make-Up
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2010, 09:06 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would be hesitant on using it. You might consider ordering from Leathermagic, they have specific charts for many manufacterers and speaking from experience the color is spot on.

Here's a link: http://www.leathermagic.com/Pages/porschecolrchart.htm

Keep in mind that I'm extremely **** and getting things perfect is my ultimate goal. If a slight difference in color is acceptable you might give the Danish company a shot.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Leathermaster was the only one with a danish dealer of the products you mentioned. I too, find it very important to get things as perfect as possible, and if it isn't a perfect match I have to locate a Leathermagic dealer. In that case I surely hope I can cover up the colour if it wasn't right.

But I will give Leathermaster a try first, and post pics when done.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Definitely take some good before/after pics and let us know how it goes.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Got the products today. Will try it out this weekend.

Just a question; on the bottle of the Colour-makeup it says to use a cleaner first (they refer to the Strong Effect Cleaner) but can I use the Soft Cleaner instead ? Otherwise I need to order the Strong Effect Cleaner too :/

PS. Should I begin with the Colour-makeup process or treat the whole car with the conditioner first ?
Old 04-22-2010, 01:04 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Clean first, apply color and finish with conditioner.

I haven't used the soft cleaner so I'm not sure it will be strong enough. I used the strong cleaner for my prep and scrubbed the leather using a leather brush.

Post some before after pics.

Quick Reply: Leather Treatment (now with before/after pics)