Notices

Paint/Interior protection treatment...worth it or a waste?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Paint/Interior protection treatment...worth it or a waste?

Hi guys,

I was at a dealer the other night trying to finalize some numbers on a car. The dealer brought in the business manager who was suggesting various add ons. Some I definitely want like the clear bra. Others I don't like some $1,100 wheel tire hazzard program.

Then they started telling me about Simonizing the car. They warranty the paint against etching from bird droppings and acid rain for I think 7 years. It sounds like its some sort of sealant that is applied and has to cure on the paint. Oh and the car is metalic silver. Is this a good product or a waste? Also can you polish or wax a car if you put this stuff on?

Also as part of the Simonizing the put something on the leather/carpet etc (sounds like scotch guarding to me) to prevent stains from anything spilling etc. Is any of this stuff worth getting...we don't have kids and I don't eat or drink in my cars so I'm not worried about drinks/ice cream in the car.

The Simonizing thing is aound $600? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Best regards,
Dino
Old 11-03-2009, 11:57 AM
gmblack3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO you are never going to get them to pay for any of the warranty cliams. They will have some fine print, ect.

What they are putting on your car will not last as long as any good sealant on the market.

I would suggest contacting Rick Nelson (Rickrack on the forums.) He is outside of Boston and can put together a nice package for you to protect your paint and interior.

Rick is one of the best detailers in the country.

Rick's contact info:

Phone: 781-389-3913
Rickrack79@hotmail.com
Old 11-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Agree with gmblack, this stuff is a waste of money and a monemaker for dealers. Most of the companies they hire for this type of work are out of business within 2 - 3 years so by the time you submit a claim they're already gone and you have no recourse. Remember Rusty Jones from the 80's?

If you want I can teach you how to take care of your paint and interior and keep it looking new for years.

I'm planning a detailing seminar this spring for anyone local. I will probably get a sponsor for the event so that there is product on hand to try.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Agree with gmblack, this stuff is a waste of money and a monemaker for dealers. Most of the companies they hire for this type of work are out of business within 2 - 3 years so by the time you submit a claim they're already gone and you have no recourse. Remember Rusty Jones from the 80's?

If you want I can teach you how to take care of your paint and interior and keep it looking new for years.

I'm planning a detailing seminar this spring for anyone local. I will probably get a sponsor for the event so that there is product on hand to try.
Thanks Afshin,

I appreciate the advice I'm getting from people here. Looks like I'll skip the Simonizing stuff. I look forward to your detailing seminar in the spring.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 11-03-2009, 01:47 PM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[Rick is one of the best detailers in the country.] agreed

gmblack is one of the best paint correction /renovation detailers in the US
Old 11-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Cosmin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don`t let the dealer to touch your car paint , not even a free car wash
Old 11-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Dont do it... Just have your car Professionlly Detailed... I did it and it was a major watse of money....

and have the Clear Bra also done some where else not the Dealer...

I Paid like $2500 for the Clear Bra, Paint Protecion and Inteior/Leather Protection... I could have all this done for Half
Old 11-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Thanks guys,

I appreciate the feedback. I don't want to waste money on stuff thats useless or that I can buy for a better price some where else.

Thanks again.
Best regards,
Dino
Old 01-21-2010, 10:09 PM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone ever seen "FARGO". There is a great scene in that movie that answers this question.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:48 AM
blitz928
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rgs944
Has anyone ever seen "FARGO". There is a great scene in that movie that answers this question.
That's exactly what I was going to mention...Scam.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Fargo is a great movie, but its got to be about 15 years old and I wanted to find out if there really were any advances in paint/interior protection, or if it was just a waste. In the end, I skipped the paint & interior protection treatment.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 01-22-2010, 09:25 PM
blitz928
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dino944
Fargo is a great movie, but its got to be about 15 years old and I wanted to find out if there really were any advances in paint/interior protection, or if it was just a waste. In the end, I skipped the paint & interior protection treatment.

Best regards,
Dino
The only paint and interior protection is you. Maintain...wash and wax, learn how to do it. treat your leather regularly. Keep your car clean. That's the only way.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:45 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

don't waste your money! Except for the clear bra. for my 911, it was 800 and it covered the hood, bumper and mirrors. The ventureshield is warrantied for the lifetime of the car. I just bought a new Lexus HS250 premium(today!!!) and the bra was on there for 420.00. I thought it was a good value and it even has a little "L" scrolled in the treatment for Lexus. I was looking at getting a MINI, the dealer quoted me 800 for the leather/interior/carpet protection and 800 for the clear bra! Needless to say, the Lexus was the better deal for me, but not based on that alone. And please do not fall for the tire/rim prtection. I had it on my BMW and when I sold the car, the were supposed to refund my money, prorated for the last 3 years of a 5 year warranty. I called the dealer 50 times and still no cash.
Sorry to vent, but the MINI dealer I was negotiating with was also my BMW dealer and I still the 'remembered' that deal!
Old 01-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Hi DRJMK,

the only dealer add on that I did was clear bra. I didn't bother with their simonizing & interior protection. I only inquired here because I did not know if there was some new form of paint protection that was worth getting. But as others mentioned and as I suspected, the only real paint protection is regular washing, waxing etc. The interior stuff, I already knew was a waste.

Best regards, and sorry the Mini dealer is not cooperating.
Dino
Old 01-29-2010, 09:23 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

thanks, but like I said I bought the new Lexus HS250 hybrid. Love the car. My 911 is my baby. I have learned alot about detailing here. I have bought alot of products from Phil at detailers domain. I have completely detailed the 911 and will do so with the Lexus. My next step is to get the 'power equipment' to complete my detailing.
Glad you didn't buy the stuff! Enjoy your new car!

Quick Reply: Paint/Interior protection treatment...worth it or a waste?