Notices

fine scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:28 AM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts
Default fine scratches?

What would you use for really fine scratches? Want to remove by hand so what would you recommend?
Old 07-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Detailed Image
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Basically what you want to use is a fine abrasive polish. If you're looking for something to apply by hand, you can pick up Meguiar's ScratchX. Depending on how deep the scratches are, your results may be pretty limited. The best long term investment is picking up a quality random orbital buffer, like a Porter Cable 7424 XP or Flex XC 3401 VRG along with some pads and polishes.

Remember, when using an abrasive polish, you need to apply a fair amount of elbow grease by hand to break the abrasive particles down to even out your clear coat.

Take your time and good luck. Let me know if you have any other questions.

George
Old 07-26-2009, 11:28 AM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

well have a rotary polisher. Don't want to use for just these fine scratches and afraid of doing some real damage. Also the paint is a single stage paint. Still use the scratch x? Also I do have a random orbital wax master thing not the best but maybe worths a shot.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:37 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I would try the random orbital and stay away from the rotary as you've already suggested. What type of pads can you use with the waxmaster?
Old 07-26-2009, 02:55 PM
rudy1024
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a waxmaster type polisher too - basically worthless, unless you just want to do a little dry buffing with a microfiber bonnet - save the $40 or whatever and apply it to a real RO. The waxmaster-thing pretty much made a mess, slinging product all over the place and didn't have enough juice to really work the product into the surface... I wasted money on the tool and time using it, hopefully no one else gets caught in that hype...

Rudy
Old 07-26-2009, 07:49 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

but is MEG scratch x the best to use? I will try by hand first then use rotary if I need too. Pretty good at the rotary really not hard if you go at a nice low speed.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:28 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by wellcraft290
but is MEG scratch x the best to use? I will try by hand first then use rotary if I need too. Pretty good at the rotary really not hard if you go at a nice low speed.
I just bought $300cdn of stuff from an online retailer. PC 7424XP, pads, and Optimum Polish II and Compound II. The stuff was shipped yesterday, should arrive tomorrow (hopefully)

I clayed my car last night in prep for the arrival of the 7424xp. I took the plunge and bought it cause I inadvertantly put a couple fine scratches in a nice zigzag pattern on the clamshell while buffing the car dry after it's weekly wash.

There was still some daylight left after claying the car, so I decided to try the ScratchX out that I had on hand (from a scratch removal on my wife's CRV 2 years ago). 2 quick applications and the scratch is almost gone!.

I'm happy enough that I wish I had tried it before buying $300 on the PC, pads and polishes!
Old 05-13-2010, 03:34 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Use the polisher, the level of shine it generates will not be comparable.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:47 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 695 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by wellcraft290
What would you use for really fine scratches? Want to remove by hand so what would you recommend?
Define "fine scratches".

I have used Meguiar's Swirl Remover since 1996. A great product by hand or machine. Don't expect fast results. It is fine and takes a while when applying by hand.

I've used it on headlight lenses as well as the windscreen of my motorcycle. They end up looking like new.

Quick Reply: fine scratches?