Notices

what pad colour and PC speed do I need to polish ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 02:01 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts
Default what pad colour and PC speed do I need to polish ?

Hi Guys real quick question.

I have 2 stage paint on my SC. I usually remove swirl marks then wax. Someobne suggested I get a polish so I have some Poorboys profesional polish but admitedly don't know how to use it.

I also have some EX-P sealent. Any tips on how to use that would be appreciated also .

My final wax is the usual P21s paste wax.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:32 PM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lake County (LC) colours and abrasive ratings-

Key - (C) Compounding, (H) Heavy, (M) Medium, (L) Light, (F) Finishing (Fi) Finessing

1. Yellow (C) CCS Foam, Compound Cutting
2. Orange (M) CCS Foam, Compound / Polishing
3. Green (L) CCS Foam, Cutting/Polishing
4. White (L) CCS Foam, Polishing
5. Black (F) CCS Foam, Fine Polishing
6. Blue (F) CCS Foam, Finishing
7. Gold (Fi) Concours Foam, Finesse Finishing

Yellow - Heavy Cut - best for removing deeper scratches or heavy oxidation. This pad may dull, or haze the surface. These CCS pads have the highest level of cutting ability and are used with heavy levellers and light compounds. (Yellow has slightly more texture than the orange)

Orange - Medium to Heavy Cut - 90% of the cutting power of the yellow pad but finishes like a polishing pad with minimum haze. Always try this pad first before using the yellow pad to remove deeper swirls & scratches. a mid range German, Power Pad foam, less than 50% open cell high density foam (60 PPI) for scratch and defect removal. Use this pad with polishes and swirl removers. It’s an all around pad that will work on most light to moderate imperfections.

Green - Mild to Medium Cut - 20% more aggressive than the white pad. Excellent on German paints and for applying one-step, cleaner/sealants high strength foam with (60 PPI) and yet is softer and more forgiving than regular foams which have 80 pores per sq. inch. This means it can remove minor swirls yet leaves a smooth, haze-free finish. This pad was originally made specifically for German clear coats but it works equally as well on domestic clear coats.
Use this pad to apply compounds or polishes to remove severe scratches and surface marring, whilst at the same time producing a high gloss swirl free finish, a balance of polishing and finishing, using a White foam pad to fine finish if required

White - Mild Cut - The most often used pad. softer less dense foam (70 PPI) with a light abrasive cutting action for the application of waxes, micro-fine polishes and sealants, this pad has very light cutting power so it’s perfect for pre-wax cleaners.

Black - No Cut - A glazing/finessing pad. Use after polishing to apply a glaze before you apply the final wax or sealant, ultra-smooth foam with no abrasive cutting ability (80 PPI) its composition is firm enough to withstand added pressure during final finishing for removing buffer swirls. It will apply thin, even coats of waxes, sealants, and glazes

Red - Zero Cut - very soft, imported foam is ideal for applying the final coat of wax or sealant. The foam works especially well when applying liquid waxes or sealants because it is firm enough to keep the majority of the product on the paint, rather than soaking it up. The red foam has no cut or cleaning ability. This is also the pad to use for layering one wax on top of another or for building up multiple layers

Gold Concours Finishing- these ultra-soft CCS pads have no cutting ability, because the foam used is actually softer than the "instant rebound" foam used in their polishing pads, these pads automatically absorb any off-axis motion and are better used with a random orbital polisher than a rotary.

If you're finishing (burnishing / jewelling) a show car with custom paintwork or just want the best shine on your daily driver, t his is also the pad to use for layering one wax or sealant on top of another or for building up multiple layers of shine.

An extract from one of a series of in-depth detailing articles © TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2008, all rights reserved.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:08 AM
springgeyser
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TOGWT- TY. Very helpful to know.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:47 AM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have tried to make the process easier with steps printed on the pads.

Take a look at the Uber Pads

tel: 201-233-0003
Promo code is rennlist for 10% off anything on the site
Current Sales and Updates
Old 06-10-2009, 12:50 AM
BuddyK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you guys posted about these colours, but I also need some help.

I have some "Sonus" brand and some "Lake Country" brand, and maybe some other No Name brand.

I have seen white pads that are for final polish before, but you show here that a white pad from Lake Country has some bite to it.

Do you guys know of any colour conflicts between these or other pad makers?

Sorry if I am not coming across clear here - hope you know the problem I am having.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:48 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

There is no recognizable standard between mfgs that use colour as an identification of the abrasiveness of a foam
Old 06-12-2009, 09:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Thanks guys ... yeah a standard might be nice. I have a Orange , Black, white. I seam to use the Orange for everything
Old 06-12-2009, 09:31 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

By the way Phill that is a VERY ingenious idea. if I had know that before buying all my pads i would have bought these .. the idiots guide to pads...
Old 06-12-2009, 11:58 PM
Jlangmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a porter cable polisher and just received a few different Lake Country pads (green, white, and blue). I have a bottle of Zaino PC fusion polish, and am looking for a recommendation on the pad. The Zaino website just says to use the right one.

Thanks.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:11 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner Swirl Remover

White - Mild Cut - The most often used pad. softer less dense foam (70 PPI) with a light abrasive cutting action for the application of waxes, micro-fine polishes and sealants, this pad has very light cutting power so it’s perfect for pre-wax cleaners.

Quick Reply: what pad colour and PC speed do I need to polish ?