Notices

Optimum Compound vs Menzerna Power Gloss ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 06:15 AM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Optimum Compound vs Menzerna Power Gloss ?

I am wondering if I can a little help from those of you who have already tried a basket of different products out there. (......apologies for the long read) I am certainly a newby in the area of detailing and I don't want to mess up my lovely 993 which has had a recent front end respray. I have tried Meguiar's scratch X and I have plenty of Meguiar's Show Car Glaze 7 and a fresh container of Optimum Poli Seal but I am feeling that I need a better compound and yet I want to be safe in not overdoing the process of removing the last of the scratches left by the body shop. The Menzerna Power Gloss compound seems as though it might be too aggressive for a newby to use with a PC but their Final Finish sounds as though it might be the best product for my black finish. the Optimum Compound II sounds as though it could work very well and be perhaps more user friendly for the novice. Can I combine the products from both companies? Any specific suggestions on what exactly I should use for the best results and to stay safe with the finish at the same time? Thanks in advance. - Glenn
Old 06-12-2009, 08:04 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Power Finish (PO203S) - (M) this is a one-step scratch remover polish that will remove 2500 grit, cut 3.0-gloss 3.5, is formulated as a quick way to polish out light flaws and amplify the paint’s gloss.

OCD- You could also follow up with Nano Polish (PO85RD 3.01) using a black pad for lighter imperfections for even more depth and gloss.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Thanks TOGWT - I found those products... well mostly. I can PO203 but not PO203S. Is this the very latest product? Also, Can you or would you recommend a sealant before waxing? Thanks - Glenn
Old 06-12-2009, 09:26 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

Hey Glenn what are you doing here ?

Funny I came looking for the same answer

I actually have poorboys EXP pure sealant. I am embarrased to say i don't know if it goes on before or after wax.

What wax are you using Glenn?
Old 06-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

It goes on before the wax. I am using Victoria Concours wax. :-) Are you watching the game?
Old 06-13-2009, 06:23 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bergamasco
Thanks TOGWT - I found those products... well mostly. I can PO203 but not PO203S. Is this the very latest product? Also, Can you or would you recommend a sealant before waxing? Thanks - Glenn
I tend to use the complete name for products, especially Menz as their numbers can be complex. So Menz PO203S Power Finish (PO203 is the same product)

I prefer a selant and then a Carnauba wax, wax provides better protection from bird excrement and acid rain and is easily renewable, whereas a sealant has a much better durability. IMO the best of both worlds
Old 06-13-2009, 07:34 AM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Would you recommend the Menzerna sealant or do you have another preferance? I'll be using either Victoria or P21S carnauba waxes. Thanks again for your help. Happy motoring. Glenn
Old 06-13-2009, 12:45 PM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Menzerna's FMJ is a good sealant, although my preference would be Zaino
Old 06-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Zaino CS? or Z2? or Z5 Pro?
Old 06-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Jlangmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zaino AIO followed by 1 or 2 coats of Z2 pro, then Z CS.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:13 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

gracious...... This is getting to be a looooooooooooong process. I was hoping to be able to go straight to the sealant.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:33 PM
Jlangmd
Racer

Originally Posted by Bergamasco
gracious...... This is getting to be a looooooooooooong process. I was hoping to be able to go straight to the sealant.
You can do that too, if you want. Z CS can apparently be used directly. I haven't tried.

On my minivan I just used the Z Aio and the CS the following day after it cures. AIO is a two step process but the CS is quick and easy. This will give a good appearance and good endurance with the minimum work.

On the 911, I used 2 or 3 layers of Z2 Pro between. Not sure how much that really helps, but the shine is excellent.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:07 AM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Do you use a carnauba wax on top of the Z2 Pro?
Old 06-14-2009, 01:55 PM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

bergamasco,

sorry a bit late to the thread.

we sell this kit you might be interested in.

The uber PO203/PO85RD kit

we have used this combo alot lately with amazing results.

personally I think on black you should go just with a wax no sealant needed I'm going to guess your baby is in the garage.

also depending on what the paint needs the pc with 203 might not be enough you may have to go to PG then 203 then finish with 85.
tel: 201-233-0003
Promo code is rennlist for 10% off anything on the site
Current Sales and Updates
Old 06-14-2009, 03:22 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the suggestions Phil. Yes, the baby is always in the garage. I am curious as to why you don't like the idea of the sealant. I thought this improved the protection greatly as well as adding to the gloss of any paint colour including black. I have the white, green and blue pads from Lake Country and was planning to purchase the orange. I thought I would get a duplication of this set in the 4' diameter for the trickier areas. Would you agree that this should cover my needs with the products discussed thus far? Comments? - Thanks .... Glenn

Quick Reply: Optimum Compound vs Menzerna Power Gloss ?