Windshield Polish?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 06:11 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Windshield Polish?

Detail gurus, has anyone come up with a solution to the tiny pits and scratches that make driving a German car into a setting sun nearly intolerable if the car is a year or so old? I am told that to meet TUV regs the glass used on German cars is softer than what we'd find on a US car. Since I track my car, I get lots of flying grit. I am fed up of replacing front glass at a cost of $1,000 or so every two years. There has to be a way to polish the darn things!

Help!
Old 03-31-2009, 07:48 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Bob,I asked the same question not to long ago....No responses.
Dwane
Old 03-31-2009, 08:16 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I am ready to try Flitz (polish) and if it doesn't work, I am buying a new windshield anyway. It worked wonders on faded dirty plastic light covers on my son's Passat....
Old 03-31-2009, 11:17 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I have never heard from anyone that has had good results polishing glass. I have tried polishing fog lights and such but I have never seen an improvement.

One thing that I have found which helps with visibility is to use claybar on the windshield. You would be surprised how much contaminants build up on the glass and make visibility poor.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

You can wet sand the plastic lenses...I wouldn't try that on the windshield.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:29 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Once the glass surface has been washed and cleaned (detailers clay) any minor imperfections can be removed with an abrasive glass polish (Autoglym Car Class Polish or DP High Performance Glass Restorer) This thick citrus-based cream safely pulls contaminants out of the glass, including alkaline mineral deposits, and then smoothes out etched glass

Methodology
•Clean glass to remove dirt, dust or road grime from surfaces (also see note
•Apply clay (Magic Clay®) and lubricant solution (WooliteTM / Water 5:1) onto the glass surface (Do not apply to plastic as dulling may occur.)
•Apply a quarter (coin) size amount of Autoglym Car Glass Polish™ or Iz Einzette Glas Polish to a damp cutting / polishing foam pad (LC Orange or White) attached to a Porter Cable HS rotary polisher set at speed 1200 rpm.
Heat caused by abrasive polishing can soften and damage glass; foam pad and product used must minimize heat build-up. Since glass is a poor heat conductor any friction heat built up from polishing must be kept to a minimum by using sufficient product and regular misting of both the polishing pad and glass surface with water.
•Apply to half of the windshield, polishing first in an up and down motion then in a left-to-right motion and then repeat on the other side, proceed to other glass surfaces.
•Go over the glass several times in each direction, glass will polish virtually residue free.
•Wipe off any residue, and polish with a clean dry 100% cotton Micro fibre cloth.
•Inspect glass for clarity and smoothness. Repeat if necessary.
•If the glass has PPG Industries Optech clear coating a more aggressive polish may be required

Alternative products / methods:
Apply Zaino Z-12 with a damp cotton cloth to cool glass, apply to small sections at a time and allow to completely dry, buffing with a clean dry cotton towel. If there is any smearing or residue left just use Stoner’s Invisible Glass or any good quality glass cleaner to remove excess residue.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

TOGWT do you know anyone that has had reall success using these products? I would definitely be interested in seeing some posts showing before/after shots and overall results.

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Griot's Garage also sells a glass polish that is used with a random orbit polishing machine. Have not tried it but am thinking to.

Quick Reply: Windshield Polish?