Notices

Good glass cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Good glass cleaner?

I've got an issue, of all things, with my 2002 New Beetle and need a good glass cleaner. The inside of the windscreen has got a coating of 'something' (I'm guessing chemical off-gassing from the large dash plastic. This film causes basic glass cleaner like windex to show some patterns that define where the film is... when the moisture gets up and some slight fogging occurs, that film is really visible. Trying to 'rub' out the film with firm pressure is very difficult given how far forward that windscreen reaches inside of a New Beetle.

Are there any good glass cleaners that can be sprayed on a good cloth/paper towel and will actually remove those sorts of films?
Old 01-09-2009, 05:36 PM
kcl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best I've used is Stoner's Invisible Glass. I've never used it for a situation like this though.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:59 PM
dgcate
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kcl
The best I've used is Stoner's Invisible Glass. I've never used it for a situation like this though.
I have. I know exactly what the op's talkin' about. One word...

Stoner's...there is no substitute.

PS...Stoner's now has a new tire shine out now also. It's aerosol spray on. I've tried all the rest, and this stuff is the best. As little shine as you'd like, or spray on another coat for more shine. Easiest stuff I've ever used. No rags. No mess. No dirty hands, fast, doesn't drip or run.

lasts forever...give it a try
Old 01-09-2009, 10:03 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Stoner's is good, but for this outgassing you might want to try applying some alcohol to a lint free cloth, going over the inside windows with that first, then use the Stoner's.

HTH
Old 01-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I've been using a homebrew which has never lost me points at concours.

Blend Isopropyl Alchohol with Distilled Water, 60% Alcohol/40% Water blend. Use this with a high quality lint free microfiber (available at auto stores) and you will end up with crystal clear glass.

We use the same blend to clean around the house, it works great on appliances, fixtures etc. and it sanitizes without chemicals.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:26 AM
emmros
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thumbs up for Stoners. I used to use Windex, but that stuff streaks up too much.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:31 PM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CorsaCloth – a glass cleaning cloth that cleans almost anything, leaving a streak-free, spot-free, dust-free and lint-free finish. This distinctive cloth cleans with plain water, it removes film, dirt, oil, grease, finger prints, dog nose prints, etc all without the use of chemicals, only water, and the result is a crystal clear finish
Old 01-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

BTW I've also used stoners, prefer the alcohol/water blend.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:29 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
BTW I've also used stoners, prefer the alcohol/water blend.
^ + 1 on the water/alcohol blend.

I would suggest a solution similar to what is used by RPTV ISF calibrators for safely cleaning CRTs, lenses and mirrors...
(IMHO, you still can't beat a good analog RPTV in HD)

Denatured alcohol and distilled water, mixed at 1:10 (a bit stronger if needed), a squirt bottle and glass microfiber towels. Spray on, let soak, wipe and repeat.

If you prefer commercial products, I like Stoners (spray) and Wurth Glass Cleaner (aerosol)

Quick Reply: Good glass cleaner?