How to clean and detail the engine compartment

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 05:46 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to clean and detail the engine compartment

Hey guys,

What are the do's an dont's for cleaning and detailing the engine and engine compartment.

I'm a little timid in this area - I once saw a guy at a detailing shop hose down the engine on a 530i, and the engine was still warm - it sizzled and steamed and I betcha the guy warped the hell out of something there. So that's definitely a "Don't".

If someone can lay out a good safe cleaning and detailing procedure, it would really help me - I trust the advice I get here.

I know you all like pictures, so I'll go and snap some and show you my nice C4 but with an engine compartment not so well cared for due to my fear of ruining something.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/d...ngine-bay.html
Old 09-20-2008, 06:44 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

Here's what it looks like now:

Alternator, I can see, but distributor - I have no idea

Last edited by BuddyK; 07-23-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:50 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

Egads,

They are recommending warming up the engine over there.

I just can't stomach spraying my engine out - water and alternators and stuff, it just can't be good.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

If you're willing to put the time in you can use old microfibers and a quick detailer to wipe everything down by hand. When you're done put a protectant on the plastic and rubber trim. Sometimes it's easier to remove some bits like the airbox cover when you're doing this to give you more room. Be sure to cover the air intake opening if you do remove the cover.

This is how I clean my engine, it takes forever but the results are stunning and no harm done.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddyK
Egads,

They are recommending warming up the engine over there.

I just can't stomach spraying my engine out - water and alternators and stuff, it just can't be good.
lol i am sure the Professnols knwo what they are talking about...

and lolz cars havent has a Distrubuters since Coil Packs were intoducted back in the mid 90's....
Old 09-20-2008, 09:42 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zookie
lol i am sure the Professnols knwo what they are talking about...

and lolz cars havent has a Distrubuters since Coil Packs were intoducted back in the mid 90's....

aha! of course - electronic. See what a fool I am on this one.

OK - I think I am going the quick detailer route, and lots of damp cloths.

See, my common sense tells me that putting quick detailer on the engine is going to create a big stinking smell if I don't get it all off. I probably still won't be satisfied until I watch another dude do it to his car first. I'm just a bag of worries over cleaning the engine - probably for no good reason.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:10 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Just remember that the engine is designed to handle moisture and rain without being harmed so a little water (no pressure) or detail spray will not harm anything.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:37 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

In 20 years of cleaning Porsche engines I have had only one give me starting problems.....and most of those were done with a pressure washer.

When you take your Porsche into get serviced I will almost guarantee you that they pressure wash it off. As noted, the rear engine 911 is designed to get wet.

So yes warm the engine up slightly, spray with degreaser, from the bottom up and allow it to dwell for a few minutes. Then agitate if needed and rinse down. Use an air compressor or leaf blower to dry the engine off.

Anthony
Old 09-21-2008, 08:15 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As noted, the rear engine 911 is designed to get wet.

True, but that's rain water or water that's splashed from the road...not presurized water from a hose / pressure washer

See also article - Engine bay detailing - http://detailingwiki.com/index.php5?...ng&action=edit
Old 09-22-2008, 10:44 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

Thanks for all the advice and links on this guys, I really appreciate it.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:54 PM
Darryl92Cab
Instructor

I would never use a pressure washer on any engine bay...just a light stream from the hose...I have one of those twist nozzle things and I use the "shower" setting. Warming the engine helps the degreaser work a little better and as Anthony suggested, I use my compressor to dry things out when I'm done.

With a little care, there is no harm in making this a normal part of your cleaning regiment.

- Darryl
Old 09-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Luus
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am squeamish about using water as well and have been avoiding detailing my engines
Old 09-24-2008, 06:56 PM
SBDinATL
Advanced

I just wet down the engine bay with a hose on low pressure. For areas that I wasn't concerned about getting wet I used my thumb to spray it down.

I then sprayed on diluted Simple Green (10:1 I think, whatever is on the bottle) and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Then I hosed it off. I didn't have the right brush with me so I didn't even agitate.

I let the engine air dry with the lid up, and then used CD-2.

The whole process too 30 minutes and that includes the 5 minutes for the Simple Green to work and about 20 minutes of air drying.

The engine compartment looked new

I did put a ziplock bag over the intake opening just to make sure I didn't gen any water, Simple Green or CD-2 in there.

Quick Reply: How to clean and detail the engine compartment