Notices

does anybody use a dry steam cleaner ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 05:07 AM
marcoturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does anybody use a dry steam cleaner ?

Except Anthony of course

I found a firm selling dry steam cleaners (120° celsius and 4 bar of pressure) locally and consider buying one.

I contempt using it to clean interior, engine and undercarriage (and maybe many other works in the house) to avoid a big mess.

Is it more efficient (or at least as efficient) than high pressure to clean wheel arches and undercarriage ? Any bad effects on the interior ?

Who uses such a technique here ?

TIA

Marc
Old 05-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Your experience, good or bad, depends on how well the steamer is built and how well the support is from that company.

My good friend and fellow detailer here in Texas has a steamer that many pros use but it breaks down often and support for repairs is horrible.

I'm on my second steamer......first one lasted me, geez, I think 3 years or more. In that time it's been used hundreds of times without issue.

Now you're most likely not going to use your steamer every day like a pro would so the wear and tear shouldn't be an issue. The things you want to look for are pressure (psi, should be at least 55 or higher) and 120 celsius is around 250 degrees, correct? Is that temperature at the nozzle or in the actual boiler unit?

Call the company selling the unit and talk with them and try to get a feel for how well they might respond if you have problems with the unit because a great steamer is a piece of junk if broke and no support to correct it.

I use our steamer in the house to clean carpets (my daughters parrot!), to clean the bathrooms, steam the tile floors (be careful, tile after steaming can be very slippery), showers.....the uses are almost limitless.

Good luck with your search and I hope you're happy with it.

Anthony
Old 05-25-2008, 12:52 PM
marcoturbo
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply Anthony.

4 bar = around 60 psi.

The 120° C (250 °F) are reached at the nozzle. The temperature in the boiler unit (2 units in fact) reaches 150 °C (302° F)

Here's a pic of the cleaner

I found this video on a detailing french website.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIv7L66W7_g

Any comments on this cleaner ?
Old 05-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I use a pro steamer. It really cuts down on time, & chemicals used. However, you can kill electronics, leather, & wash out vinyl with it. You need to know how to use it & it's limits.
Best uses...
1. Removing any adhesive, like de-badging
2. door & trunk jams
3. Headliners & interior cracks
4. Embedded dirt

Just be careful, don't keep it on one place to long, & don't work to large of a area.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

marcoturbo, sounds like a nice steamer plus it looks kinda cool, like a small pressure washer.

Really nice that it seems to be a local company so support shouldn't be an issue.

Hope all goes well.

Anthony

Quick Reply: does anybody use a dry steam cleaner ?