Notices

Hammered Boxster Detailed

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 11:35 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hammered Boxster Detailed

This Porsche Boxster was in sad shape. Paint chips galore, paint was very hazy all over and had no shine. Wheels were losing their clear, dings on every panel and the driver seat was almost bare on the side bolster.

I went to work on the exterior using a wool pad, the Metabo and a mixture of the old Optimum compound and Hi-Temps Extreme cut (about a 50/50 mixture). This leveled the paint down real nice and then used a white LC pad with Optimum polish to remove the wool swirls. The top was also cleaned and treated using 303's water repellent.

Final PolishII was then used with a rotary and a black finishing pad and also with my Cyclo to even out the paint.

Ron worked on the dings at this point and then laid down some Opti-Seal as our base. On top of the Opti-Seal Ron hand applied some Victoria's red Concours and also some of their new beta paste wax (a review of that wax to come later).

Ron then set about the interior while I finished up some exterior chip repairs plus some extra detail here and there.

The skies were very overcast so I don't have any really good "Before & After" pictures. In these first 2 pictures you can kinda make out the scratches in the paint. This was an odd gold-brown color that showed well in the sun I'm sure but looked rather BLAH in the shade or overcast skies.

We also removed the Boxster emblem, cleaned the area and polished it really good and then replaced the emblem with a new one. Ron and I both hate these types of emblems as they trap all kinds of crud in between the lettering.

Here are a few AFTER pictures of the Boxster all done.....sadly no sun.

Here is Ron's handy interior work. Lot's of driving with the top down as Ron encountered a lot of ground in dirt. Ron steam cleaned the entire interior, top to bottom, and then dressed it out with Optimum Protectant+. We could see the dirt literally lift out of the dash material and run down as the steamer went over those areas.......even after an initial cleaning!

The rear area where the plate and bumper pads reside always get really filthy and encrusted with years of crap and baked on exhaust so I removed everything I could and cleaned the area using a clay bar. The bumperets were cleaned with GR-40 and dressed with Optimum Protectant+ and set aside to dry.

I then removed the license lights and went about cleaning them with Optimums soon to be released water spot remover plus some APC. Some Optimum polish on the lenses and they were looking pretty good.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

The crud!

plate lights

After

All put back together and looking pretty nice......Oh, the pipe was cleaned with #0000 steel wool and English Custom Restorer and then polished with their Custom Blend and a microfiber.

The owner was very pleased but I sure wish we had some sun so we could get some idea of just how it looked.

Thanks for looking, any questions please ask.

Anthony
Old 04-28-2008, 11:39 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

WOW quite an improvement!!
Old 04-28-2008, 11:50 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Work like this isn't easy. Cars that have the mileage and wear/tear on them are the hard ones to restore. Nice work and nice attention to details.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:38 AM
c2silver
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

A beauty!
What was the process on the rock chips?
Old 04-29-2008, 09:56 AM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anthony,

Great job as always!

Steve
Old 04-29-2008, 10:16 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Anthony, where in TX are you? I'd like you to have a go at my 996TT.

Jose
Old 04-29-2008, 08:24 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Iceman, Stephan and Marine Blue.....thank you very much for the comments

C2Silver.......I had to eyeball the color mix with some metallic gold and metallic black with a dash of a silver. I then used a very fine red sable brush to gently dab the paint into the chips. It had tons of chips so I tried to concentrate on the larger ones with the brush.

The small ones I applied paint to my finger and rubbed it across the paint, try to push paint into the chips. I then used a paint leveling chemical to remove the excess after allowing the paint to dry for about 15 minutes. Thank you also for the kind words.

Anthony
Old 04-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jbossolo
Anthony, where in TX are you? I'd like you to have a go at my 996TT.

Jose
Hey Jose,

I'm in the San Antonio area. Hopefully you're close?

Anthony
Old 04-30-2008, 10:53 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I'm in Brownsville (WAY down south!), but PM me your contact info and I'll make an appointment to take the car there. Sometime next month?
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Hammered Boxster Detailed