Notices

930 Slant Nose Turbo Concours Prep

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Todd Helme
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 930 Slant Nose Turbo Concours Prep

The 1989 Porsche 930 Slant Nose Turbo is, IMO, the epitome of air cooled turbo Porsches. It is just a cool car, and my client desired perfection! This particular car is fully loaded and stickered at over 100k in 1989!!!

Outline:
-Wash with Zaino Z7
-Clay with Sonus Grey clay using OPT ONR (cut) as lube
-Paint Correction featured a combination of 3M Extra Cut 3000, Meg’s #83, OPT OP, and Menzerna SIP and FPII on various Lake Country pads (7.5 inch and 4 inch) in Full Wool, Purple Wool, Orange CCS, White CCS, and Blue CCS cuts
-3 Coats of Zaino (Z5pro x2 ZFX’ed) and CS. Z8 final wipe down
-Tires cleaned with Meg’s APC and dressed with Zaino Z16
-Rims cleaned with P21s wheel cleaner. Metal Lip polished with Deep Finish Deep Alum, protected by JW Acrylic Jet
-Wheel Wells cleaned with Meg’s APC and Surf City Garage Road Grime Spray and dressed with OPT Tire protestant
Interior:
Carpets removed, vacuumed
-Spot removal with Folex
-Shampooed with Stoners Carpet Cleaner
-Protected with 303 Fabric Guard
Leather
-Conditioned with Leatherqiue Rejuvenator
-Cleaned with Leatherquie Pristine Clean
-Dash protected with OPT Leather Conditioner and Protectant
All plastic trim was cleaned with mild soap and treated with 303 Aerospace Protactent

While outlines are great, the product list doesn't do justice other than a reference. Brian spent over 6 hours on the interior, working areas over and bringing each square inch to perfection. I'm sure many more products where used that I failed to mention.

Regarding the paint polishing, I am at a point where I am no longer satisfied with less than 99 percent (or taking an existing finish to 100 percent of its potential). Luckily, no scratches required wet sanding, but ever square inch of the vehicle was polished with as many as seven-eight passes, including and excessive amount of time with 4 inch spot pads and a lot of fine detail polishing. I can put my word on the fact that each area of paint on this curved car was treated equally, and brought to absolute perfection under the most discriminating eyes. Total paint correcting time was just over 20 man hours. We started at 9:00 AM and finished just past 1:00 AM the following morning. It was a long day, but that’s what OCD does

Some early, low light sun shots of the defects in the paint. The pictures did not capture the depth or amount of the various scratches and swirls covering the body of the Porsche.

Here I am discussing something (probably telling both a funny and unoriginal joke) while taping the trim of the Porsche.

Unfortunately, a low cloud cover rolled in for the day, which rendered the test spot useless…

As I learned the paint and the work required for it, Brian started working his magic on the interior with the floor mats.

Here I am working SIP over the fender of the Porsche, slowly bringing it to perfection. After each session of passes, the paint is wiped with body shop wash, measured with a depth gauge and carefully examined by both of us. Only after passing inspection, is the okay given to move to the next area. After all areas are correct in both sets of eyes, is the next step used.

Brian carefully worked around the interior, removing stains and ground dirt from the carpet…

Brian then removed the carpets and cleaned the floor boards…

The carpets where sprayed and brushed, then shampooed…

Hand applying the Leatherique Rejuvenator to gently clean the leather and remove 20 years of grime, oil, and dirt..

The glow of paint that passes inspection!

Brian helped polish and work the paint while letting the Leatherquie work..

Interior Finished!!!

As night fell, we pulled the Porsche into the garage and continued to work the paint towards perfection..

After a long day of paint correction, the 930 was wiped with pre-sol and rewashed with Z7 with a foam gun.

Then we pulled the car back inside and re-inspected the paint. After passing, we began to hand apply and layer the Zaino sealant.

After a long day, it was time to pull the Porsche and the Ferrari Boxer BBI (the one from the Cavallino thread) back into the garage and call it a day. Brian took a couple pictures, I guess to show how tight of a squeeze it was..

Old 12-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Todd Helme
Intermediate

Two cars with absolutely perfect paint…

Old 12-10-2007, 06:50 PM
96C4S
Burning Brakes

Woooow fantastic job.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:30 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

WOW...looks GREAT.....the owner has quite a nice collection.....BBI, turbo, 964 targa, 328GTS & maybe a ZR1....very nice!!
Old 12-11-2007, 02:56 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

You could put that car on a poster. I'm drooling
Old 12-12-2007, 08:43 PM
gmblack3
Instructor

That is red done right for sure. Beyond attention to detail everywhere you look.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:37 AM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice work.
tel: 201-233-0003
Promo code is rennlist for 10% off anything on the site
Current Sales and Updates
Old 08-14-2008, 09:59 AM
Todd Helme
Intermediate

Thanks for all the compliments guys!!!

(ps keep them comming)
Old 08-14-2008, 10:35 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

wow.... you guys dont happen to come to Vancouver often do you?
Old 08-15-2008, 05:55 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah...love it!

Quick Reply: 930 Slant Nose Turbo Concours Prep