Notices

odd question, but what can I use to polish a new windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 08:47 AM
stumpjumper
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question odd question, but what can I use to polish a new windshield?

there's an obvious residue from whatever they package them in, and it makes driving in the rain hellish (yeah, sorry, I drive it in the rain... snow too!)

I've tried 2 different paint polishes and my porter cable, but they didn't help at all, clay bar was the same, I don't know what to use, there's plenty of "glass polish" available but I've never used any of it so I have no idea what's good

thanks for any info!
Old 08-09-2007, 02:11 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 709 Likes on 370 Posts

Use Autoglym Glass Polish with a porter cable. You can use the Lake Country orange pad. Make sure to tape up any black trim.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:48 AM
stumpjumper
Drifting

thanks!
Old 08-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stumpjumper
there's an obvious residue from whatever they package them in, and it makes driving in the rain hellish (yeah, sorry, I drive it in the rain... snow too!)

I've tried 2 different paint polishes and my porter cable, but they didn't help at all, clay bar was the same, I don't know what to use, there's plenty of "glass polish" available but I've never used any of it so I have no idea what's good

thanks for any info!
If you've tried already 2 different paint polishes then I personally don't see another polish doing anything for you....provided those first 2 polishes were of an abrasive nature.

First try either a full strength vinegar wipe down or a straight alcohol wipe down as this may help better since you say it's a residue of some sort.

Seeing as you have already used polishes and a clay bar I'm guessing that you'll need to contact those who installed the windshield and perhaps need a replacement. If the company you deal with is good and cares about their customers they should have cleaned and inspected the glass before and after installation to see if its defective.

Anthony
Old 08-09-2007, 12:15 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

the glass has no visual imperfections that I can see when it's dry, and it's a Porsche windsheild so let me describe what happens as best I can

I tried Griots #2 and #3 to quickly polish with my PC and an orange pad, once over with each. It looked great for awhile but still when it rains (and only when it rains) water splatters funny on it, different from any other windshield I remember. It "splatters" and doesn't bead off at all (I haven't put a rain repellent on it yet) but the splatters appear to form a pattern as if there's still some type of adhesive residue left, I figure if I polish it with a real glass polish, then clean and treat it with a repellent I should be set

while I used 2 grits, I did it quickly, and washed it off as quickly as possible, I didn't want what I used to etch the glass at all
Old 08-10-2007, 01:20 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for Autoglym
Old 08-10-2007, 09:24 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Least Abrasive Product First:
Always begin the removal process with the least abrasive product before ‘stepping-up’
a) A safe solvent (Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner, Stoners™ Tarminator or Mineral Spirits
b) Detailer’s Clay (light, Medium, heavy grade or the Hi-Tech Body Sponge™ - ADS http://autodetailingsolutions.com/
c) A chemical / abrasive paint surface cleaner (Zaino Paint Cleaner Z-PC or Zaino All-In-One Z-AIO)

If none of the above remove the residue take Anthony's advice and talk with the glass intallation company
Old 08-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Related question: what can you do to eliminate the bead pattern on a windshield from a wiper having been left on while the windshield is dry? (please don't ask how this happened)
Old 08-14-2007, 07:18 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Autoglym glass polish and a rotary buffer
Old 08-15-2007, 02:06 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

mineral spirits, then autoglym, then mineral spirits to get off that residue and it's perfect, then I used aquapel as a bonus

thanks guys, now to do the same to the wife's car
Old 08-15-2007, 03:05 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stumpjumper
mineral spirits, then autoglym, then mineral spirits to get off that residue and it's perfect, then I used aquapel as a bonus

thanks guys, now to do the same to the wife's car
Can you explain how you used the mineral spirits - on a spongue, or what? Did you use a rotary to apply the autoglym?
Old 08-17-2007, 03:36 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

for the mineral spirits I just used a scott shop towel rag to wipe it on, then a clean one to wipe it off, then the autoglym with my porter cable on 5, it's not a rotary but a random orbital

Quick Reply: odd question, but what can I use to polish a new windshield?