Notices

Leather dashboards

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 05:02 AM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather dashboards

Have been using Autoglym and another poular brand, which I forget right now, on my seats for years- no problem.

My new car has a full leather dash though and I am hesitant to apply anything there yet. Seat leather is by nature thick and supple and seems to love the conditioners. The dash however, is very tight and so smooth I just wonder....

Who has had good luck with what on a full leather dash? I don't want it to get a shine.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:19 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My "00 C2 that I will be picking up next week has full leather. I was told that if the leather doesn't come into human contact, leave it alone. Dust it with a damp towel once in a while, that's it.

Not sure if that's right, but it sounds logical.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

The leather dash can be left alone.....just cleaned with a proper cleaner every so often and then go "El Natural" I treat many of my garage queens in this manner but cars out in the sun all day are better off with a cleaning/conditioning schedule.

Or you can use some Leathermaster conditioner. I like their foaming leather cleaner/conditioner personally. Wonderful product, safe for aniline and coated leathers.

Anthony
Old 04-08-2007, 12:52 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 768 Likes on 404 Posts

I ALWAYS treat the leather regardless of where it is. Most leathers now have a UV clear over them to protect agains the rays but I've seen a handfull of Turbos with wrinkled dashes. My routine begins with cleaning using Autoglym Interior Cleaner. It's AMAZING stuff. Great for carpets, vinyl, cleaning rubber door seals, etc. I then apply Zymol Treat to the leather. It's a great product that has a nice satin sheen. It absorbs within 15 minutes and looks great for months. Just make sure you apply it to surfaces that are above 75 degrees. Body temp would be ideal. My 2 cents
Old 04-08-2007, 01:08 PM
CT03911
Banned

A little mixed opinions there but as alway, appreciate the response. I did do the door panels yesterday, when I did the seats and they are the same tight grained leather as the dash. I will look at them when I get back Tuesday, a four day set up/absorbtion time. If they look good I may go ahead and do the dash. I'd feel better if it got something to keep from getting brittle.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:57 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My take on UV clear coating is this- a vehicle clear coat has a UV protection in its final coat, but if you leave it unprotected for some 'time' it may start to oxidize or fade (UV radiation is very powerful and need I say hot This may dry out the leather dash attachement (adhesive)and cause it to wrinkle.

FWIW 303 Space Protectant is realativly cheap, recovering / replacing leather not so)
Old 04-09-2007, 02:49 PM
CT03911
Banned

Thanks guys. I'm going to do the dash.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:41 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

I use 303 Aerospace protectant on the leather dash and it does hold up very well and doesn't attract dust.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:02 PM
CT03911
Banned

I thought you should avoid 303 on the leather. Not because it will do anything outwardly bad but it simply isn't the correct product.

I do use 303 religiously everywhere else, all plastic and seals, etc. It is such a good product I guess I shouldn't be surprised it works for you on leather too. I would just feel more comfortable treating leather with a true leather conditioner.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:41 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are more comfortable with a leather cleaner, ensure that its also formulated with a UVR protection (Zaino Z-10 Leather in a bottle)

Quick Reply: Leather dashboards