Notices

Porsche Turbo 3.6 Detailed

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 01:08 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Anthony

That is Mikes car he is over on the 964 turbo forum. He purchased the car from Ray Joseph and I am surprised to hear it had anything but perfect paint for such low mileage and that Ray did not have the car fully detailed prior to selling it for such a tidy sum.

My turbo has nearly perfect paint with considerably more mileage but has had clear bra protecting the vital areas all its life.

My neighbor who owns a large detailing shop here in Jersey gave me some of the optimum products to try and they seam good but IIRC some of them contained Silicone which I have always been told never to use so I have not used them on my turbo yet.

Meanwhile if you are interested in the stats on the 94 turbo there are many threads on the 964 turbo forum. Here is a brief summary. The 94 turbo 3.6 is as said the last of the single turbo rear wheel drive cars. It is more like todays GT2 than any other model to compare to. It is the most advanced version of the single turbo models with a 3.6 l vs 3.3l engine. It has much more low end torque much less turbo lag than its predecessors. The 94 turbo 3.6 was introduced for the ROW market in 1993 as a 1993 model. There were a total of 409 standard 3.6Turbos built for the US market and the first 288 were 1993 MY cars M718 coded to change the vin to a 1994 MY. There is no differences between the M718 cars and the rest. All 1994 turbos were completed and delivered prior to December of 1993.

The 94 turbo had many milestones to its credit. It was the first Porsche to be supplied with 18" wheels. It was the only Porsche to date (other than special limited production models) to be supplied with 3 piece alloy wheels. Although the 928GTS was the first Porsche to receive the large Brembo brakes the 94 turbo 3.6 was the first model of any car to receive them painted in red (ie big reds). These were available in black at additional charge. It was also the first 911 to have a higher top speed than than the 928 since the 928 held this record for many years. The 94 turbo reached a top speed of 181mph vs the GTS's 177 mph top speed which was quite fast for the time. These cars also had a ridiculously high price tag. My 94 sold for $111,000 before taxes and additional charges which was crazy money for back then.

These cars are a blast to drive and very unique I would estimate less than 350 of them are still on the road and many are in very clean shape. Over half were painted in Black and many others in standard silver, red, white etc. Very few special order paints were made accounting for less than a third of total production. Although Signal Green was a standard color I have never seen another so this may be the one and only. Although it is hard to tell. Ironically Porsche has re introduced this color on the new GT3 RS. I hear it is stunning on the RS and may even be better looking than the orange if that is possible.

Yes IMO the 94 turbo is still one of the best Porsche's ever made. Currently because of their rarity the 94 is as expensive as comparable 993TT's or 996TT's. This model is currently selling for as much as 70% of its initial selling price and appears that might be inching upwards.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:51 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Cobalt,

Thanks for that information, love to learn stuff like that

You stated:

My neighbor who owns a large detailing shop here in Jersey gave me some of the optimum products to try and they seam good but IIRC some of them contained Silicone which I have always been told never to use so I have not used them on my turbo yet.
You've been misinformed as only Poli-Seal contains a silicone but it is a paintable silicone and actually "paint friendly". It won't harm your paint....in fact a lot of paint care products contain this type of silicone.

Poli-Seal can be applied to a panel and then painted over so it's a body shop safe silicone. So go ahead and use it on your paint, you'll like the results I'm sure.

Hope that helps,
Anthony
Old 05-01-2007, 10:26 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco
Hey Cobalt,

Thanks for that information, love to learn stuff like that

You stated:

You've been misinformed as only Poli-Seal contains a silicone but it is a paintable silicone and actually "paint friendly". It won't harm your paint....in fact a lot of paint care products contain this type of silicone.

Poli-Seal can be applied to a panel and then painted over so it's a body shop safe silicone. So go ahead and use it on your paint, you'll like the results I'm sure.

Hope that helps,
Anthony
Anthony,

Seams we both learned something. He had informed me it was paint safe but I had never heard of this. I was always told Silcone was a no no, but apparently that is not always the case. I tried the Poli-seal on my C2 and it appears to work nicely so I guess I will give it a try on my turbo . He swears by their products and I believe uses them exclusively.

Thanks

Anthony
Old 05-02-2007, 05:03 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Anthony....WOW! I can say for a fact that up to this point, I haven't ever seen a single automobile that I ever really liked, that was green in color. After seeing yours, I can honestly say there is at least one green one in the world that I LOVE. That car is hot!
Old 05-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porschefile
Anthony....WOW! I can say for a fact that up to this point, I haven't ever seen a single automobile that I ever really liked, that was green in color. After seeing yours, I can honestly say there is at least one green one in the world that I LOVE. That car is hot!

Thank You

Anthony
Old 05-04-2007, 11:54 AM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AO do you have a gallery of the Pcars you have done?
p.s.
great info cobalt.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:30 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Hello,

I don't have a gallery of them but I can post up a number of Porsche cars I have detailed if you like?

Thanks,
Anthony
Old 05-07-2007, 07:39 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ definitely....
we should make it a permanent sticky on this section of Rennlist. (And include what products were used since its the concours forum)
Old 05-09-2007, 09:59 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
Anthony

That is Mikes car he is over on the 964 turbo forum. He purchased the car from Ray Joseph and I am surprised to hear it had anything but perfect paint for such low mileage and that Ray did not have the car fully detailed prior to selling it for such a tidy sum.
Actually the paint was good when I received the car from Ray, but needed some work to bring it back up to where it should be. Like Anthony said it did have some areas that light to moderate scratches existed before he worked on it, but looked like it was due to improper washing, possible dry washing, etc... But they where barely noticable because of the light color. I saw this when my brother and went up to RPM to look at the car before I bought it. I knew I would have it detailed by Anthony when I got it home. The car was detailed to some extent when I received it, but I didn't really care about that, as long as there were no dings, dents etc.. Now after the detail job the paint looks fantastic, and near perfect, swirl marks, scratches are gone, definately showroom condition. Anthony is very talented

Last edited by SA Mike; 05-09-2007 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:58 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by perfectlap
^ definitely....
we should make it a permanent sticky on this section of Rennlist. (And include what products were used since its the concours forum)
I posted up a good deal of Porsche cars just a few threads down if you care to look at them....I can't figure out how to put in a link

SA Mike ,

Hey we need to get you washed up and maybe a little spruce up work!! I saw you drive past me last week on Huebner and I-10, about 8:00 PM, as I was going to Quizno's....in that lighting the car looked awesome if I say so myself !! What a head turner for sure

Anthony
Old 05-10-2007, 04:20 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Mike
You have a very nice 3.6 turbo & having Anthony local to take care of it......man you are one lucky guy!
Old 05-10-2007, 11:04 AM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco
Hey we need to get you washed up and maybe a little spruce up work!!

Anthony
Definately, I need to make some time to bring it to you. I bought some touch up paint for some small rock chips on the hood and also a new clear stone guard for the passenger's rear qtr panel, maybe you can install that for me when you see it next. I also need to talk to you about a clear bra for the front. Probably sometime next week will work

Last edited by SA Mike; 05-10-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:21 AM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
Mike
You have a very nice 3.6 turbo & having Anthony local to take care of it......man you are one lucky guy!
Thanks Brian, yes it does help to have Anthony in town
Old 05-10-2007, 11:36 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SA Mike
Actually the paint was good when I received the car from Ray, but needed some work to bring it back up to where it should be. Like Anthony said it did have some areas that light to moderate scratches existed before he worked on it, but looked like it was due to improper washing, possible dry washing, etc... But they where barely noticable because of the light color. I saw this when my brother and went up to RPM to look at the car before I bought it. I knew I would have it detailed by Anthony when I got it home. The car was detailed to some extent when I received it, but I didn't really care about that, as long as there were no dings, dents etc.. Now after the detail job the paint looks fantastic, and near perfect, swirl marks, scratches are gone, definately showroom condition. Anthony is very talented
I didn't think it was anything more than superficial, although I am sure what you or I would consider fine, Anthony would cringe over. It sounds like he is not happy until the car is better than showroom new.

So another added plus to signal green other than looking cool and being unique is it doesn't amplify the small stuff the way the other colors can (especially black).

BTW I am noticing a sudden surge in value of these cars. I have recently seen higher mileage cars sell for what the low mileage cars were selling for a year or so back. I think people are falling back in love with the old school classics.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:14 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
BTW I am noticing a sudden surge in value of these cars. I have recently seen higher mileage cars sell for what the low mileage cars were selling for a year or so back. I think people are falling back in love with the old school classics.

Thats so true, my brother once (and still is to some extent) was a big 993TT fan, is trying to get a hold of a 3.6T, but prices are climbing. It definately has to due with them being the last of air cooled single turbo and of course the "look".

Last edited by SA Mike; 05-12-2007 at 02:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Porsche Turbo 3.6 Detailed