Zaino Z8

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 10:00 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Zaino Z8

Is there a trick to applying this stuff. I'm having a hard time not getting smudges from it. I have to buff it out pretty aggressively to get a good finish from it. Right now, I'm not too happy with the stuff. Too much work for not that big an advantage, but maybe I'm doing something wrong?
Old 07-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Is there a trick to applying this stuff. I'm having a hard time not getting smudges from it. I have to buff it out pretty aggressively to get a good finish from it. Right now, I'm not too happy with the stuff. Too much work for not that big an advantage, but maybe I'm doing something wrong?
From my limited experience with Zaino the main key is not applying too much or you can have the problems you are describing. Smudges and smears.

Try removing what you have applied, with either a 50/50 water/alcohol mix or claying that area. Then apply a really thin layer, that you can barely see it. Zaino is designed to be applied in building layers, like painting....several light, thin layers are always better than one heavy coat.

I am sure other more experienced Zaino users can give you some nice tips.

Anthony
Old 07-09-2006, 02:23 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Did you prep the surface? Claying the car is very important. Also, if there is residual wax on the car (didn't use Dawn or equivalent) it can cause problems. Applying the wax in very thin coats, several, is also key. More is NOT better. We need more info...
Old 07-09-2006, 03:58 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm putting the Z8 on top of Z2pro. I've got several layers of Z2 on the car. I love the Z2 product. It's easy to apply, and gives a really nice finish. I've experienced the mistake of putting too much Z2 on, so I know what you are talking about there. Maybe I just need to be more careful and put even less Z8 on.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:13 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just put a very light mist of Z8 on, then wipe off softly using a soft buffing microfiber.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:14 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Sal doesn't recommend microfiber. He says there is so much variation in what's on the market and they haven't really tested it with Zaino enough. Stick with 100% cotton toweling. Just barely spritz a section with Z-8 and start wiping immediately. The key with Zaino is, when you think you're not using enough, you're using the right amount.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:30 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

...and make sure Z8 is shaken well before using
Old 08-10-2006, 10:53 AM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

I have heard of this from a number of Z8 users. I am sure that it only needs the very lightest of coats and immediate wipe off. IMO, Z6 is almost as good and is really easy to use.

As for the comments about microfibre cloths, I have read this before and am totaly puzzled. Is there a real problem of poor quaility cloths in the US? I have never heard of a problem in the UK. It seems so strange that Sal, a man who wants to transorm the way in which cars are "waxed", seems so close minded about what I think of as a wonderful product that is so vastly superior to cotton towelling!

(BTW, Rob, I hope you have sent me the Z5 Pro I ordered this week. The other stuff I bought a couple of months ago is great and yes, I am the guards red RS in Wimbledon!)
Old 08-14-2006, 05:54 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Simon - yes, should be with you by now...I still haven't had time to try Z5 Pro...

Got some time off next week, so will try and do it then!
Old 08-26-2006, 08:49 PM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I've never had a problem in applying Z8, I agree that it is not as easy to use as Z6. I only apply Z8 after a fresh coat of Z2 has been applied. I work in very small areas and spray a very little amount of Z8 on the surface and wipe off using microfiber. I never have a problem with smearing under these conditions.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:53 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

less is more, keep it to a mist
Old 09-01-2006, 05:50 PM
vytenisb
Rennlist Member

Have used most Zaino products and agree that the key is to use as little as possible. One gripe I have is that the mist from Zaino products makes this difficult on both Z6 and Z8. Meguiar's spray pump puts out an ultra fine mist. I cleaned out that bottle and poured the Zaino in. Much better.

Quick Reply: Zaino Z8