Notices

Removing the 3m bra

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 03:16 PM
Cliff Leve
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing the 3m bra

Can the 3m clear bra be removed by hand, or do I need to take it back to the installer? Mine is looking worn and I am thinking of taking it off for good.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:02 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 141 Posts

The answer is yes. I'm preparing to have mine redone as well and letting it sit in the hot sun for an afternoon prior to removal helps a lot. I will post pictures for all those skeptics. I want to have my appt scheduled prior to the removal though so I don't run around naked for too long.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:14 PM
CT03911
Banned

Just had two vehicles done w/3M at my dealer. Asked the installers this question. They said do NOT use direct heat. Sitting in the sun is good, just no blowers etc. They said to "pull" it off vs "peel" it off. That is to say stretch it out, pull it, elongate it and lift it off instead of peeling it back and away. Once off you may see some adhesive remaining, typically only in spots not all over as you might think. A good adhesive cleaner will remove this. Of course they recommended 3M's products. Again, haven't tried it but this came directly from qualified 3M guys two weeks ago.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:01 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

CTO is pretty much correct.

On the films I have removed I have found that the amount of adhesive left over is directly related to the film generation (early 3M film SUCKS as it leaves alot of adhesive) and also how long it's been on.

Black paint seems to be the worst and leaving it in the sun doesn't seem to help much for ease of removal. In fact I did a removal on a cold winter day and had an easier time with it....go figure.

I have also found that, as noted by CTO, pulling is better. Also, try not to make the film "pop" as this is where the film seperates from the adhesive and sticks on the car. Beware of your knuckles as they may blister and peel from the removal

Lastly, you don't need a 3M adhesive removal product. Just go to home depot and look for either "Goof Off" or in the paint section a product where the active ingredient is "Xzylene". That's what's inside 3M adhesive remover.

Anthony

Quick Reply: Removing the 3m bra