Notices

Wash & Shine first timer question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 01:05 AM
Topless in Temecula
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wash & Shine first timer question

What are the top ten things a concours virgin forgets to do when prepping their cars? I am entering my very first event and don't want it to be my last and I don't want to embarass myself - please help. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:34 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 357 Likes on 158 Posts

Peter,
Top ten things.......Clean, Clean, Clean, etc. etc.
When you get through cleaning, start over and clean again!

Seriously, I started in WS many years ago and worked up to Full Concours at Parade level, winning a 1st in Class and Division. Best advice is not to take it too seriously and have fun. Some Judges have forgotten that this is supposed to be about having fun. I'm a certified Concours Judge and I think it should be a positive learning experience. First timers should be encouraged to come back next time with their car even better. No matter how much or how hard you clean your car, the Judges WILL find some reason to deduct a point or two. I once had a female Judge that had very small hands, and could reach her fingers in much tighter places than my hands could reach. Guess what she found......dirt. She wiped it on the scoresheet in some sort of sign of disgust. Gimme a break.
Judges are usually **** about things behind things. Like fingerprints behind the rearview mirror, dust/dirt behind the gas/brake pedal, or the top of the sunvisors. Seat rails are pretty obvious places for grease, which attracts dirt.
Wash & Shine means no engine compartment or undercarriage will be judged. But don't forget wheels and tires, even the backside of the wheel can be judged, depending on the Judge. One thing alot of people are not aware of......The Porsche crests on your wheels should have the bottom of the crest pointed directly at the valve stem. Deduct at least 1/2 point if they're not!
There's alot more to Concouring than what I've just typed. But for your first time out, just have fun. And ask the Judges what they would do to improve for next time. You will get your scoresheets, showing what they deducted, but sometimes it can be a little cryptic and you may not understand why they dinged you for something.

Good Luck,
Robert
Old 09-20-2005, 07:36 PM
Topless in Temecula
Racer

Thanks Robert - will they deduct for a 3M film bra, non-standard locking gas cap (my actually be a Porsche cap as car key unlocks it), bumber llugs where front plate usually is placed? I am going to this for funa dn to share with my daugher (a 31 yr old car geek - restoring a '56 ford and older Caddy) so we'll enjoy - just don't want to appear to have no clue - even though I don't. LOL.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:59 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

It's probably a coin toss on the clear-bra. One Judge will "look" the other way and another Judge will deduct points. The car did not come off the factory line with a claer-bra installed, so usually after market accessories of any type will be under the gun. I doubt you get hurt by having bumper-plugs, but things like AM floor mats, seatcovers, non-Porsche wheels, chainlink license plate frames and fuzzy dice are what drive Judges to drink!
No brainer things like swirls in the paint, threshold scuff marks, fingerprints on the windows are Judges' delights. They eat'm up. Don't use any glossy-drippy-shiney stuff on the tires like Armorall to make them look new.
Basically, just clean places that may have never been cleaned before.
I always run my hand under the car door when it's open. 9 times out of 10, I'll find some dirt = point deduction. Be sure to remove everything out of the glove compartment except the Owners Manual, receipts from Taco Bell = point deduction. Dirt behind the rear license plate = point deduction.
It's really a process of elimination. Each time you enter a Concours, you learn what to eliminate that the Judge will deduct a point for. After a few years or so, you get a score of 298.5 out of 300.

Robert
Old 09-20-2005, 09:49 PM
Topless in Temecula
Racer

I'll let you know how it goes and post a pic or two - thanks for the pointers.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:33 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Another favorite spot is the dirt in the door jambs, up behind the hinges! Also grease in the door/hatch locks too! Dirt inside the fuel filler area....you get the idea! Anywhere you can possibly think to clean...clean! I have found the Zone 7 concours guide very valuable! Many great tips in there!
Old 09-21-2005, 12:09 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Topless in Temecula
non-standard locking gas cap (my actually be a Porsche cap as car key unlocks it)
Peter - the 964 & 993 cabriolets came with locking fuel cap as standard (not sure about later models) - that's why the key works. It's because someone could reach in while the roof is down and pull the fule flap release - extra security.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:26 PM
Topless in Temecula
Racer

Thanks Robert, Brian and Rob! I placed third in W/S-3 - not too bad. I lost .5 on the outside (dirt I failed to reach in the bumperettes on the rear bumper, didn't get all the dirt on the inside edge of the door handles, to much tire dressing (I had put it on day before but didn't wipe off) -judge suggested I wash it off at event and again right before judging. Lost .8 on inside from dirt in seat hinges, some very tiny lint in door storage area (sticky tape next time not just vacuum), streak on visor mirrors, some lint under steering wheel unit at dash (very small tight space too be sure). Learned a lot, got 128.7 out of 130 - a little trophy and now I am hooked. Anyone know of a 993 concure guide? Maybe someone should do one - this is a hard way to learn but lots of fun with daughter! Pics to follow once my son can re-size them. If any of you are in Temecula area - glass of wine is on me.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:27 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That's awesome.

I'm looking forward to the pictures.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:14 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Guide to Concours D'Elegance

Topless:

A great reference for Concours preparation is the PCA Zone 7 Guide to Concours D'Elegance. It includes a step-by-step set of instructions on how to prepare your Porsche for competition.

It is available to order on the Zone 7 Website
Old 09-28-2005, 08:43 PM
Topless in Temecula
Racer

Here is a link to my pictures - hope it works. If not, 'll try to re-size and upload them. Thanks again for all the Rennlist help - http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePh...82_58054973309

Peter
Old 10-20-2005, 02:51 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Peter...
Sorry we're late to the party. We can't see the pictures.....
We have to have an account to sign in.

JoAnne

Quick Reply: Wash & Shine first timer question