Notices

How can I protect my leather seats from a plastic baby seat?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 04:26 PM
95M3CSL
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I protect my leather seats from a plastic baby seat?

Looking for some help with leather protection for a baby seat contacting leather seat situation.

I'm about ready to put a Porsche Junior baby seat in the front seat of my 40th anniversary 911. The airbag deactivation capability is installed by Porsche as well. The car has the natural leather nearly black sport seats. The bottom and back of the baby seat is plastic and will be contacting the leather on the seat and will rub during use with or without baby in it. Just taking the seat home in the car without the baby there are rub marks making the leather look shiny where the baby seat contacted the car seatback. I've seen other instances where at the contact point the leather could be rubbed to the point that it looks different or smoother or even lighter than the other leather of the back seat.

What type of material could I or should I use to protect the leather from this rubbing and make sure that the leather where it does come in contact with the protection material is not changed in color or appearance? Examples I could think of were a terry towel in black, a plastic or rubber mat, felt material, regular cloth, something else?

Thanks,
Marc
40 year 911
95 M3
Old 11-09-2004, 02:50 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

I would use a soft flannel blanket or something similar. Ive even put a t-shirt on seats before.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:56 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd be scared of the kid spitting up in the car! You sure you want to do that?
Old 12-08-2004, 12:54 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Use one of the "non-slip" pads they put under small carpets. It's a rubberized foam netting. Works well.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:21 AM
jasoncuk
Instructor

We just use a folded large towel in the same colour as the seat leather to cover the whole seat for spills of any food (or as the previous poster said any throw-up). Seems to stop the seat marking the leather.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:05 AM
Res Ips
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

An old piece of sheepskin cut to size plus a few inches. Placeed sued side down to leather seat.

You can use an old car seatcover made of sheepskin or go to a car care store and purchase an in-expensive sheepskin seatcover. The cheaper ones have a rubberized back on them. Remove that and rough the suede side up a bit.

You can also cut up an old sued jacket. Same effect. Leather and sued will not "fight' each other. Sued is 'rough" enough to provide some resistance so the child seat should not move. Test it out first without the child in the seat. Place an equivalent weight in the seat and drive around a bit.

Jim
Old 12-17-2004, 08:04 AM
LT1
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I use these white vinyl rectangles with a softish back that I stole off of my kids changing table. They are perfect. They are already cut to size ( a little smaller than the sitting area of the front seat) plus you can easily fold them up and stick them in the glove box when not in use. I'll try to ask my wife exactly where she bought them.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:43 PM
9SIX8
Advanced

something like this
http://www.buybuybaby.com/shopping/p...oductID=139225

they sell these type of things at various baby stores. i use a towel for any places the mat doesnt protect.

and i'm with porsche-o-phile, you sure you want your kid in that car?
Old 01-17-2005, 04:40 AM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Marc,

Noticed you live in LA. Me too. Try going to your local "Right Start" store they have tons of options. One thing you need to keep in mind with car seats is depression damage. So I urge you to consider the following to prevent such damage: http://www.rightstart.com/global/sto...upTP~Model.htm

Nowadays I have a booster seat on the back of my 40th Anniversary 911, and use the following product: http://www.rightstart.com/global/sto...upTP~Model.htm

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:32 PM
95M3CSL
Advanced

Default Lots of fantastic responses. Thank you very much!!!

Yes, I want my boy in the car because I want my boy to enjoy his car genes he got from Daddy.....

I negotiated a Porsche seat and installation as part of my deal with the dealership when I bought my 40th 911. This is a family car with 4 seats....

Best regards,
Marc
Old 04-27-2005, 07:01 PM
teamgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default This is an easy one...

After suffering from some pretty 'dented' leather on an SUV we sold last year, I told the wife to find something to put under the seats b/f we strapped them into a $40k suv...she came back with a seat liner from babys r us...prince lionheart I think was the manufacturer. They're dense foam pads that protect the seat back and bottom from the baby seat. There's also a lip on the bottom pad to catch any 'accidents'. They've been under two seats in the Sequioa for over a year and I can pull the seats out and there's ZERO damage to the leather. Hard to believe I was so excited over some foam pads, but these are made for the task.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: How can I protect my leather seats from a plastic baby seat?