Notices

Minnesota chat thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 01:59 PM
928S MN
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Pretty sure your WHP is north of mine. At least until I supercharge the cross plane V8.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:17 PM
David HUDGENS
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ha! I doubt mine is that powerful. I wish...

Mine is rated 325 from the factory. I have a few minor mods, so that's why I want to know the true numbers!

How's the family?
Old 01-26-2020, 02:25 PM
928S MN
Rennlist Member

Family is doing great. 2 Grandkids and another on the way!

Yours?
Old 01-26-2020, 08:16 PM
David HUDGENS
Instructor

Another grandbaby! Wow! I was going to ask about them and how fast they're growing.

My family is doing well. The oldest is somewhere out to see in his sub. We have no idea where. Middle son is going to Australia next month for a school field trip. I wish I could go. Youngest son is still coveting my 911 and is trying to talk me into buying another one for myself so he can get this one.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:31 AM
David HUDGENS
Instructor

Got the lift pucks from a fellow Rennlist member who normally sells them. Can't wait to try them out when the driving season is here and I don't mind crawling around my garage floor.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:46 AM
David HUDGENS
Instructor

A gift for the 997 so I can feel better about constantly taking the wheels off to wash them.

Old 03-01-2020, 11:19 AM
David HUDGENS
Instructor

My car is for sale if anyone here is interested or knows someone who is. Thanks, guys.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:59 PM
Laguna
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, folks. I'm a recent transplant to Minnesota and am considering my first 911 purchase. What's it like having a 911 during Minnesota winters? I'm especially wondering how dangerous road salt is for the long-term health of the car. If I do buy, it's likely going to be a new build and a keeper for 10+ years. If I get a full-body wrap and use a touchless car wash at least once a week in the winter (which would include an undercarriage spray), is it realistic to expect that I could daily the car during the winter -- other than during crazy snow storms -- and keep it rust-free for at least a decade? (I'd plan to have a specific set of winter tires/wheels, too.) Thanks!

(Also this is my first Rennlist post, so hopefully I don't botch the UI/formatting.)
Old 05-31-2020, 02:34 PM
doctorayes
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna
Hi, folks. I'm a recent transplant to Minnesota and am considering my first 911 purchase. What's it like having a 911 during Minnesota winters? I'm especially wondering how dangerous road salt is for the long-term health of the car. If I do buy, it's likely going to be a new build and a keeper for 10+ years. If I get a full-body wrap and use a touchless car wash at least once a week in the winter (which would include an undercarriage spray), is it realistic to expect that I could daily the car during the winter -- other than during crazy snow storms -- and keep it rust-free for at least a decade? (I'd plan to have a specific set of winter tires/wheels, too.) Thanks!

(Also this is my first Rennlist post, so hopefully I don't botch the UI/formatting.)
I moved to Minneapolis 2 years ago and just moved out west about a month ago. Minnesota is a wonderful state and Minneapolis is a gem of a city! I have to tell you that it is very easy to daily drive a 911 C4S or even a cayman. I did prefer to drive the C4S during snow storms. I had an unlimited car wash membership but it was not touchless as these were not easy to find around where I lived (except for those gas station ones). I do have PPF on my 911 and cayman with ceramic coating which should protect from scratches. I recommend Midwest Clear Bra in Plymouth, ask for Chris Mizuhata, they are simply the best! Honestly for me, it is not worth it to drive these cars just on a nice sunny summer day but rather every single day! and Yes you need a winter wheel and tire set which makes it very easy to change over every season.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:55 PM
Laguna
Intermediate

Great -- and I appreciate the recommendation.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:56 PM
Laguna
Intermediate

What kind of experience do have with dealer discounts at Porsche of Minneapolis or St. Paul? For a new build, Porsche of Minneapolis quoted me MSRP for new customers and $1000 off for repeat customers. Given what I've seen in the forums on discounts at out-of-state dealerships, I'm pretty surprised.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:22 AM
curt_928
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi guys! Am coming up to the twin cities this month. Any reputable Independent shops where I can bring my Cayenne (*ahem* manual trans) for clutch replacement. Always nice to have a place to bring it other than the dealership.

Many thanks in advance!
Old 07-26-2020, 10:27 AM
Laguna
Intermediate

Does anyone have a 992 with SPASM? I've gotten an allocation for a new build, and I'm debating whether to add that option. I'm trying to figure out how much it beats you up compared to PASM on roads that haven't been well maintained by MNDOT. In theory, I like the idea of having access to a sportier suspension. However, the reality is that I probably won't track it more than once or twice a year, but I'll be driving on semi-beaten-up highways much more often (like Hwy 52 between the Cities and Rochester). I'm following the "PASM vs SPASM" thread on the 992 forum but am hoping for input more specific to our situation in Minnesota. FWIW, I'm also speccing PDCC (and FAL).
Old 01-05-2021, 10:24 AM
Indenial
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi, new member here. Looking for someone in Rochester or Minneapolis willing to sit down and have a cup of coffee, while discussing the highs and lows of Porsche ownership. Actively looking for a 991.1 Silver/black 2014,15,16 C4S, PDK, coupe. This will be my first Porsche and I have a lot of questions. Thanks for considering.
Old 01-05-2021, 05:13 PM
928S MN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Indenial
Hi, new member here. Looking for someone in Rochester or Minneapolis willing to sit down and have a cup of coffee, while discussing the highs and lows of Porsche ownership. Actively looking for a 991.1 Silver/black 2014,15,16 C4S, PDK, coupe. This will be my first Porsche and I have a lot of questions. Thanks for considering.
Recommend you go on Facebook and search for the Porsche and Pancake Group. This is a Twin City group of Porsche addicts. This group of friendly folks can definitely help you with your questions on the 991. Or at least point you in the right direction.
Plus some great group activities throughout the year.

Quick Reply: Minnesota chat thread