Notices

Michigan Social Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 04:50 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The choice to ride along is up to you. That's what the instructors are for. Either they ride with you and help you learn or you hop in with them and go for a ride.

Grattan did some work to fix / repave bad sections. The bump on the inside of the final corner is nearly gone. I go through there flat out in my car, but I'd probably hold part-throttle in something with more power and/or a stiffer suspension. Getting unsettled there usually means you're climbing the grass hill and hitting the pit lane guard rail, or climbing the grass on the other side and hitting another guard rail.

Remember, this is for fun. This is not a race. There are no trophies. You go at your own pace and for your own pleasure. Always be safe. Stay firmly within your own driving abilities and don't let anyone else influence how hard you push and how fast you drive. Feeling like you need to catch and pass some other random car is how you end up making expensive mistakes. The only worry you really need to have is checking your mirrors regularly (when safe) to know if you need to point a faster driver by. And when you do point someone by, you wait until you are out of the corner and the car is under control and traveling straight before you drop throttle and stick your hand out the window. You only point them by when YOU are ready. Also, if someone points you by you have zero obligation to pass them. If you aren't comfortable or confident executing the pass in the location or space provided you can ignore them and wait for a point-by at a different location on track.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:24 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby921
The choice to ride along is up to you. That's what the instructors are for. Either they ride with you and help you learn or you hop in with them and go for a ride.

Grattan did some work to fix / repave bad sections. The bump on the inside of the final corner is nearly gone. I go through there flat out in my car, but I'd probably hold part-throttle in something with more power and/or a stiffer suspension. Getting unsettled there usually means you're climbing the grass hill and hitting the pit lane guard rail, or climbing the grass on the other side and hitting another guard rail.

Remember, this is for fun. This is not a race. There are no trophies. You go at your own pace and for your own pleasure. Always be safe. Stay firmly within your own driving abilities and don't let anyone else influence how hard you push and how fast you drive. Feeling like you need to catch and pass some other random car is how you end up making expensive mistakes. The only worry you really need to have is checking your mirrors regularly (when safe) to know if you need to point a faster driver by. And when you do point someone by, you wait until you are out of the corner and the car is under control and traveling straight before you drop throttle and stick your hand out the window. You only point them by when YOU are ready. Also, if someone points you by you have zero obligation to pass them. If you aren't comfortable or confident executing the pass in the location or space provided you can ignore them and wait for a point-by at a different location on track.
Great info sir, thank you. I just want to have fun not worried about being faster then anyone else.

Having a very stiff ride I will keep it in mind about the lifts or turns, no desire to do any damage next weekend. I love the way my car feels but it hops when going over pebbles lol

I also went through that checklist and I pass that already so I'm good to go there I think.

Thanks
Old 04-29-2019, 10:27 AM
Scooby921
Racer

I think I'm good on the inspection. Everything is tight, but I noticed the rubber boots on the outer two pistons on left front caliper are toast. Cracked from too much heat. The yellow paint on the brake pad backing plates is now white from having burnt off. I think perhaps it's time to find some titanium shims to slow the heat transfer into the calipers.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:35 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Are they going to do an inspection of there own before they let you on the track? Everything on mine is new last summer and has less then 500 miles on it all. all fluids were changed before I put it up for the winter including the break fluid. All sway bar bushings, boots, brake lines, control arm bushings, trailing arms and bushing, suspension etc.

Since this is such a long drive to get there.. is there anything they would turn me away from that I should make sure I have done?
Old 04-29-2019, 04:54 PM
Scooby921
Racer

I don't expect any inspection at the event. Nothing has been mentioned anywhere in any of the promotions for the event. While prudent, it would be really dumb to suddenly spring a tech inspection or some other requirement on the participants this close to the actual event. When I run with the 3 ***** Racing group they don't inspect, but they do collect that inspection form. You've signed it. It's your problem if the car has a failure. They don't inspect so they aren't any sort of liable for the mechanical soundness of your car.

Not wanting to risk failures I've ordered new dust boots for the caliper pistons, and picked up four sets of titanium shims to reduce the probability that the baking and cracking happens again. Assuming they show up in time I'll be disassembling the brakes for the second time this week .
Old 04-30-2019, 11:21 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

ya know when I did that Lamborghini track day a few years ago on a very small track(never made it out of 2nd gear) I felt pretty good about my driving skills being the second fastest one there. I'v spent the last couple of days reading up and watching stuff on this and some videos of the gratten track and people driving on it.... and crashing ... and video showing there heads bouncing around in there cars on this track... lol ya I'm getting some jitters lol the videos look like the track is so bumpy, I hope that's just the camera. trying to watch the speeds in these videos so I have an idea of what speeds I should be taking these turns and stuff... trying to prepare

quick Michigan update... don't bother going to caffeine and chrome in Dearborn its a cool place if you looking to buy a fun car but the "car show" part of it... not so much. we went Saturday and it really just wasn't worth the drive.

Just and fyi
Old 04-30-2019, 11:28 AM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 138 Posts

Hey, I just cleared up may 4, what's the organizer and do you guys think there's room to get in?
Old 04-30-2019, 11:41 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andy7777
Hey, I just cleared up may 4, what's the organizer and do you guys think there's room to get in?
Midnight tint the link says "almost sold out" so looks like theirs still room

https://midnightclubmi.com/squeeze-page
Old 04-30-2019, 01:29 PM
DerTyp
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys,
I was able to test drive a 991 911 S on Saturday and it was a lot of fun.
Fred Lavery on Woodward has one in stock, so I wanted to see how I would like the car. Never been in a 911 before. We were able to drive around a bit and took a route through Cranbrooke, so I could see how the car handles in turns and twist.
And I have to say, I like it a lot. Even though, the car checks all my initial boxes, I am going to pursue one with more options and a better color combination.
I will keep you updated on my pursuit. Hope to see and meet you guys soon
Old 04-30-2019, 03:43 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Originally Posted by ttt123
ya know when I did that Lamborghini track day a few years ago on a very small track(never made it out of 2nd gear) I felt pretty good about my driving skills being the second fastest one there. I'v spent the last couple of days reading up and watching stuff on this and some videos of the gratten track and people driving on it.... and crashing ... and video showing there heads bouncing around in there cars on this track... lol ya I'm getting some jitters lol the videos look like the track is so bumpy, I hope that's just the camera. trying to watch the speeds in these videos so I have an idea of what speeds I should be taking these turns and stuff... trying to prepare

quick Michigan update... don't bother going to caffeine and chrome in Dearborn its a cool place if you looking to buy a fun car but the "car show" part of it... not so much. we went Saturday and it really just wasn't worth the drive.

Just and fyi
Unless they disclose modifications to the car and the date of the event it's hard to know what's going on. If you're watching spec miata's running 600 lb/in springs they are going to bounce around a bit. If you're watching some import ricer with Asian brand / manufactured coilovers it's riding on pogo sticks and not realistic for anything with a good suspension.

Start slow and work up in speed. Your first few laps for your first session are likely to be under yellow / caution so you're slow and getting your bearings around the track. If you're turning laps in the 1:40 range I'd say you're doing really good for a first track day. Your car can probably run under 1:30, but you'll need driver mods to get there.

Also, check your email. Chad finally sent out his own safety inspection form to be filled out and brought to the event.

Originally Posted by andy7777
Yes, in fact I just saw Chad post that a couple people backed out and were selling their slots for a reduced price in hopes of recovering some money.

Chad Mfive
I have a few drivers that aren’t able to attend for different reasons. They’re selling their single day pass between
$150 Saturday 2
$125 Sunday 2
$100 Sunday 1
Message me and I will like you up if you’re interested.

Midnight Season Opener - Grattan Raceway
Midnightclubmi.com
Originally Posted by DerTyp
hey guys,
I was able to test drive a 991 911 S on Saturday and it was a lot of fun.
Fred Lavery on Woodward has one in stock, so I wanted to see how I would like the car. Never been in a 911 before. We were able to drive around a bit and took a route through Cranbrooke, so I could see how the car handles in turns and twist.
And I have to say, I like it a lot. Even though, the car checks all my initial boxes, I am going to pursue one with more options and a better color combination.
I will keep you updated on my pursuit. Hope to see and meet you guys soon
Hard to find exact specs on the used car market, but definitely better to wait and see if you can get most of what you want instead of regretting jumping on the first one. Definitely needs the sport exhaust.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:27 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 138 Posts

Thanks Scooby, Ill show up on Sunday. Green Cayman R.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:51 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Cool! If anyone wants / needs to find me on Saturday I'll be in one of the garage stalls.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:13 AM
DerTyp
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby921

Hard to find exact specs on the used car market, but definitely better to wait and see if you can get most of what you want instead of regretting jumping on the first one. Definitely needs the sport exhaust.
Agreed, I would definitely want the PSE and the sport steering wheel. I don't want to spend big money and then immediately start to mod the car because it is not 95% what I want. Like even putting a different exhaust on it.
I found one here on the marketplace which checks all my boxes. Low miles and great price.
Now just need to make it happen.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:05 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Reasons why you should check the car and take safety inspections seriously prior to a track day. The cracking in the rotors and the roasted, toasted, cracked, and torn caliper piston dust boots.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:18 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

holy smokes!!!! Is this the result of racing it or everyday driving?

I pulled my wheels off this week and went through everything.. all is good.

Quick Reply: Michigan Social Thread