Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2024, 06:37 AM
YVR_PinoyPorsche
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2023 Porsche Cayenne Winter Set Options

HI!
Newbie Porsche Cayenne owner here.
I recently purchased a 2023 Porsche Cayenne Base and has been looking for information about winter sets.
I have purchased from marketplace a 19" Porsche Cayenne Wheels and Winter Tire Set (Porsche Cayenne S).
I asked one dealership what their recommendations for my Cayenne and was told I can choose from 20" to 22" being that my Cayenne is E3.2.
I thought my 2023 is an E3 and E3.2 starts from 2024.
Cutting the story short, Is the 19" Winter wheel set OK for use with my 2023 Cayenne?

I would rather use this instead of buying a new set given that it's expensive and 19" is better in snow than a 21".
Let me know what you guys think and help out a newbie here.
Thanks!

This is the winter/snow set that I am hoping to install come winter time.
Old 09-09-2024, 08:10 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,803 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist.

If your gear selector is on the center console and you have a physical tachometer, you have an E3 (Pre-2024) Cayenne.

Ignore the advice from the dealership. Your thoughts were correct and your winter tire set should fit just fine.

Here’s what the Porsche Manufacturers Certificate of Approved Wheels and Tires says, complete document attached:

From page 2 and page 5:

Attached Images
The following users liked this post:
YVR_PinoyPorsche (09-09-2024)
Old 09-09-2024, 09:16 AM
jtsmith18
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Schnave is correct as always. I have a 2022 base that came with 22” summers but run the 19” with snows in the winter. Lately, because I drive to California from Canada for 3-4 months in the winter I have been running 265-50-19 Michelin Cross Climate 2’s front and rear on the Porsche 19” rims. works great too. They have both the snowflake and mountain symbol for winter use but are not Porsche approved tires. Four months of California heat will ruin a set of snows!
Old 09-09-2024, 09:47 AM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 580 Likes on 360 Posts

I had originally planned to downsize from 21" to 19" for winter but instead went with OEM 20" wheels and Michelin Alpin in the OEM size based on the following statement from Consumer Reports when they tested a base 2019 Cayenne on standard 19" wheels and tires:

"Even on our track the Cayenne behaved more like a sports sedan than an SUV, with strong tire grip and a balanced behavior at its cornering limits, particularly in Sport mode which makes the stability control less intrusive. However, the Cayenne posted a relatively low speed of 49.5 mph in our avoidance maneuver course, due to its tendency to slide the front tires and run wide rather than following its intended arc into the exit lane."

My concern was that dry pavement performance of 19" wheels and winter tires would not be acceptable for those times when I push the Cayenne hard on sunny winter days when the pavement is dry. I haven't done a lot of driving on snow and ice during the two winters with my 2022 Cayenne base, but it did exceptional well on fairly deep snow and on ice covered roads on the 20" winter setup. I was surprised that the Cayenne could claw up a steep ice covered hill that was so slick that I couldn't even walk up. It felt invincible ... as if I could go anywhere.

Your 19" wheels and winter tires should work fine if you moderate your winter driving behavior enough but the 20" size would have worked well too.
Old 09-09-2024, 10:50 AM
YVR_PinoyPorsche
3rd Gear

Thank you for your reply.
I definitely will drive moderately fast in the winter compared to the rest of the year!
Old 09-09-2024, 10:57 AM
YVR_PinoyPorsche
3rd Gear

Thank you for the very informative response.
So the dealership looks like just trying to make a sale on a Cad$6500 Winter set!
Good thing I am able to avoid that trap.
Thank s to you guys and rennlist.
Old 09-09-2024, 06:24 PM
toma nova
Rennlist Member

Received 365 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Woofman

"Even on our track the Cayenne behaved more like a sports sedan than an SUV, with strong tire grip and a balanced behavior at its cornering limits, particularly in Sport mode which makes the stability control less intrusive. However, the Cayenne posted a relatively low speed of 49.5 mph in our avoidance maneuver course, due to its tendency to slide the front tires and run wide rather than following its intended arc into the exit lane."
This is all down to tires, not wheel size. Summer tires on my 19" wheels will outperform A/Ss on a 21" wheel in a slalom or avoidance maneuver.

Cayennes deserve a high-performance A/S at a minimum; the 19" OE Conti TX are definitely not that.
Old 09-09-2024, 06:44 PM
E'TLS
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by YVR_PinoyPorsche
Thank you for the very informative response.
So the dealership looks like just trying to make a sale on a Cad$6500 Winter set!
Good thing I am able to avoid that trap.
Thank s to you guys and rennlist.
Unfortunately, new wheel/tire set from the dealership will be expensive especially in Canada, even if for the pre-facelifted E3 Cayenne. The 19" E3-spec wheel/tire set will definitely fit your E3 Cayenne, because E3 base Cayenne comes standard with 19" wheels as original equipment.
Old 09-09-2024, 11:02 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 580 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by toma nova
This is all down to tires, not wheel size. Summer tires on my 19" wheels will outperform A/Ss on a 21" wheel in a slalom or avoidance maneuver.
Now that I would like to see!

Quick Reply: 2023 Porsche Cayenne Winter Set Options