Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2025 Cayenne Ehybrid NACS or J1772?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2024, 11:54 AM
cl0r0x70
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2025 Cayenne Ehybrid NACS or J1772?

Do we have confirmation which charger is going to be in newly-built 2025 Cayenne e-hybrids?
Old 08-18-2024, 12:46 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,982 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by cl0r0x70
Do we have confirmation which charger is going to be in newly-built 2025 Cayenne e-hybrids?
I would venture we're going to received J-1772 based Hybrids/EV's until at least 2025 model-year…(not data just gut feel) - 2026 would be the first Model-Year Porsche would/could switch to NACS for North American EV's…

2025 Taycan's are already being delivered and they are coming with J-1772/CCS1 native ports on the vehicles - 2024/2025 Macan EV's are also J-1772/CCS1 based - and I'm sure 2025 Hybrids (Panamera's and Cayennes) have already been made and are J-1772 based

I'll go one step further and suggest Porsche wont' change until the model refresh for each vehicle - the Cayenee was refreshed for 2024 - so if it's 5-7 years until next refresh - you'll see NACS native port as part of face-lift/refresh of the prdouct, not "mid-cycle" just to change the native charging port.

for example I would expect the gen-2 Taycan and gen-1 Macan EV to be J-1772/CCS1 vehicles for the entire generational run - NACS will come to the product liine when they refresh teh next Taycan and the gen-2 Macan EV. Similar for Hybrids.

https://www.macanevowners.com/forum/...….16867/

regardless of which native port your EV or PHEV comes with - you'll still want an adapter(s) to access the "other" EV chargers (EVSE's) should you encounter them…

J-1772 based vehicles can benefit from an adapter like this - https://ev-lectron.com/products/lect...nnectors-black - I have one for my 2021 Cayenne eHybrid and can use Tesla EVSE's at various hotels and businesses (I used this adatper in Walla Walla, WA at the eritage Resort for example to charge my Cayenne from Hotels' onsite Tesla EVSE.
NACS based vehicles can benefit from an adatper like this - https://ev-lectron.com/products/lect...chargers-black

PHEV's don't tend to support DC fast charging (no CCS support and batteries are too small) - but if you have a full EV with fast charging support you'll need a NACS/CCS - again there are two
  1. NACS native vehicles can benefti from a CCS adatper (allowing the NACS vehicle to plug into a CCS1 fast charger) - https://shop.tesla.com/product/ccs-c...apter?web=true
  2. CCS native vehicles can benefit from a NACS adapter (allowing CCS1 vehicle to plug into a NACS fast charger) - https://ev-lectron.com/products/lect...o-ccs-adapter\
For home charing I recommend one of the two following EVSE's - they both offer support for J-1772 and/or NACS
  1. Tesla Universal Wall Charger - NACS and J-1772 support - easy to pick ether when pulling cable from holster (built in adapter)
  2. Charge Point Flex - NACS or J-1772 support - DIY swappable cable - but it's one or the other, but still future proof to swap the cable when it comes time
    1. https://store.chargepoint.com/product/nacs-cable-kit
I'll be curious to see a few things from Porsche (and other vendors)
  1. when do they cut over their vehicle's to native NACS port on the vehicle?
  2. do they then also ship NACS native EVSE's?
  3. do they include a J-1772 adapter with the vehicle? (Tesla includes one with each vehicle)
  4. do they includer/offer a CCS1 adatper with the vehicle or separate purchase?
in any case we're in the middle of a transition and the CCS1 design was horrible and has a lot of systemic issues so this is ultimately good IMHO - but it's messy

owners of either type of vehicle will benefit from having two adatpers with them when away from home
  1. NACS based vehicles
    1. J-1772 Adatper
    2. CCS1 Adatper - if your vehicle supports fast charging (Hybrids do not support fast charging)
  2. J-1772/CCS1 based vehicles
    1. NACS-J-1772 adapter
    2. NACS-CCS1 adapter - fast charging vehicle's only
2026 is earliest in my opinion - 2028 we should be well on our way - adapters will be with us for some time.

Most of the commerical/public Charging networks (EVGo, ChargePoint, EA, others) have announced plans to retrofit their chargers with NACS cables - but none of them have published a clear time frame, and it's unclear if they will "swap" cables or provide "mulitple" cables at various stalls and sites (for example it would be possible for EA to have each "stall" have two cables - a NACS cable and a CCS1 cable - only one active at a time, but choose the cable that fits your vehicle) - we'll have to see how this plays out.

another "gut" feel - the 718 EV and Cayenne EV will be the first Porsche EV's to never have a J-1772/CCS1 version - those will come out the gate w/NACS.

for me personally I will always carry the adapters appropriate to my vehicle's native charge port type so that I have full access to all possible charging sties/stalls when away from home - it's just too useful and the adapters do not take a lot of space in the vehicle to carry around.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 08-18-2024 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-18-2024, 02:44 PM
On_Your_Left
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Great answer above. I'd add in one more charger to recommend at least evaluating. I have the hardwired Enphase charger, and it's solid AF
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (08-18-2024)
Old 08-18-2024, 02:56 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by On_Your_Left
Great answer above. I'd add in one more charger to recommend at least evaluating. I have the hardwired Enphase charger, and it's solid AF
enphase/clipoercreek are 100% excellent reliable awesome stunning EVSE’s - simple no muss no fuss just works - but they do not make the list for me personally given lack of any announced NCAS. story - but they are the gold standard for simple J-1772 EVSEs

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 08-18-2024 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-18-2024, 05:32 PM
On_Your_Left
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
but they do not make the list for me personally given lack of any announced NCAS. story - but they are the gold standard for simple J-1772 EVSEs
I don't understand your comment. They sell NACS....

Old 08-18-2024, 07:54 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I don't understand your comment. They sell NACS....

I stand corrected - this makes them a great choice, but it's unclear if you can switch an existing J-1772 Enphase EVSE to NCAS or vice versa - both the 2 I suggested have accomodations for supporting J-1772/NACS without buying a new EVSE…

but given NACS support the list is:
  • Tesla Universal wall Charger
  • Chargepoint Flex
  • Enphase (formerly clippercreek)
Old 08-18-2024, 08:28 PM
On_Your_Left
Rennlist Member

I stand corrected - this makes them a great choice, but it's unclear if you can switch an existing J-1772 Enphase EVSE to NCAS or vice versa - both the 2 I suggested have accomodations for supporting J-1772/NACS without buying a new EVSE…

but given NACS support the list is:
  • Tesla Universal wall Charger
  • Chargepoint Flex
  • Enphase (formerly clippercreek)
As far as I can tell, you cannot easily (if at all) switch out adapter. I have a J1772 Enphase unit, and bought one of these for when any Tesla driving amigos come over. Any J1772 charger can support a NACS car, it's just a question of using the adapter. The Tesla Universal charger is nothing more than a NACS charger with a nicely integrated J1772 adapter.

I had that Tesla Universal Chargers for awhile but that turd was overheating in the summer temps so I replaced it with the Enphase.

Last edited by On_Your_Left; 08-18-2024 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-18-2024, 08:34 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

As far as I can tell, you cannot easily (if at all) switch out adapter. I have a J1772 Enphase unit, and bought one of these for when any Tesla driving amigos come over. Any J1772 charger can support a NACS car, it's just a question of using the adapter. The Tesla Universal charger is nothing more than a NACS charger with a nicely integrated J1772 adapter.

I had that Tesla Universal Chargers for awhile but that turd was overheating in the summer temps so I replaced it with the Enphase.
yeah the adapter makes all things "good" - sorry to hear your Tesla unit was overheating - my 3 universal units work great and so far don't have any thermal issues - the enphase stuff is rock solid and well regarded- always has been…

virtually anything is better than the Porsche EVSE's…
Old 08-18-2024, 08:42 PM
On_Your_Left
Rennlist Member

yeah the adapter makes all things "good" - sorry to hear your Tesla unit was overheating - my 3 universal units work great and so far don't have any thermal issues - the enphase stuff is rock solid and well regarded- always has been…

virtually anything is better than the Porsche EVSE's…
It's the old "they don't make them like they used to....". I had the older gen Tesla charger (the black one with the 25 ft cable and Elon signature on the case) and that thing was a beast. Zero issues. But when we replaced the Model S with the Taycan I swapped out our EVSE too.
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (08-18-2024)

Quick Reply: 2025 Cayenne Ehybrid NACS or J1772?