Sponsored By:

Bring back analog mechanisms

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2024, 05:47 AM
mgx1020
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Bring back analog mechanisms

So I think for the sake of PCNA seeing they must know there will always be a desire to bring back classic Pcar.

Cayenne 9Y0.3 with analog features (tach/clock, S/T), GTS dash options, Turbo facias.

PCNA don’t lose your heritage, with your DNA and the Cayenne.
Old 07-28-2024, 05:35 AM
ThomasWShea
Three Wheelin'

Received 470 Likes on 342 Posts

first, can they give us a rotating headlight switch and a scroll wheel to dim the cluster and interior lights???

hitting a single button 4 times to turn off ur lights is annoying.

navigating 4 levels deep in a menu to dim dash lights is annoying.
The following 2 users liked this post by ThomasWShea:
i386_64 (07-28-2024), JSchilberg (07-28-2024)
Old 07-28-2024, 10:38 AM
retom
Burning Brakes

Received 488 Likes on 293 Posts

There are 3 main reasons why car manufacturers are replacing analog solutions with digital ones.

1/ Fashion: customers fascinated by technological developments constantly expect new bells and whistles in new car models.
2/ Costs: it is much cheaper to produce an LCD screen with haptic operation instead of many buttons, ***** or analogue indicators.
3/ Car complexity: with the number of options, assistance systems or data provided, their operation would require the number of buttons or ***** like on an airplane's dashboard. Apart from the costs, their operation would be really difficult. Additionally, digital solutions enable constant system upgrades.

I think the next level will be the development of AI that will allow for complete control of the car by voice. What is currently available is far from perfect.
Analog solutions will probably remain mainly in niche cars such as the latest Bugatti, where the instrument panel is a masterpiece of Swiss watchmaking. Although even in such cars, digitization cannot be avoided.
The following 2 users liked this post by retom:
Electric Lizard (07-28-2024), Needsdecaf (07-28-2024)
Old 07-28-2024, 12:34 PM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 464 Posts

I actually really prefer the digital 9Y0.2 dash vs the analog .1 dash and I have used both extensively. Of course it is a matter of preference.
The following users liked this post:
Electric Lizard (07-28-2024)
Old 07-28-2024, 12:36 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 580 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
There are 3 main reasons why car manufacturers are replacing analog solutions with digital ones.
Another reason, at least for instruments, is that digital gauges are easier and to read and interpret. Information that a driver formerly monitored by scanning many analog gauges and determining the meanings of gauge needle positions can be summarized in one relatively small digital display. And even the summarized digital displays have become somewhat superfluous since warning messages are displayed when something goes wrong. Does anyone really want to go back to having a large number of analog instruments?

Porsche's analog format speedometer display has essentially been a fashion statement since the late 2010's since it's scale is too small to be useful. Vehicle speed is much easier to see in digital format in the tachometer and heads-up display.

I use voice commands quite a lot but I sometimes mix up which ones are performed by Porsche Voice Pilot and which ones are performed by Google Assistant. I have to remember to do a short press of the turn signal stalk button (Porsche Voice Pilot) when voice tuning to a terrestrial, satellite or online radio station and a long press of the button (Google Assistant) to "next track", "previous track" when I'm streaming audio via Android Auto (e.g. YouTube Music).

I'm quite pleased with the current level of automation. A feature I might like: "Hey Porsche. Vaporize the A-hole who just cut me off."

Last edited by Woofman; 07-28-2024 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-28-2024, 12:40 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,386 Likes on 1,251 Posts

As others have stated, the roadway from analog is oneway - there won't be any reverting back.

But - there are other ways that you can recapture the Porsche analog experience...

This is the way I do it...

'88 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe - fully restored.

The following 8 users liked this post by Ironman88:
daveo4porsche (07-28-2024), golftime (07-28-2024), LDT (07-28-2024), Needsdecaf (07-28-2024), rdboxster (07-28-2024), Schnave (07-28-2024), silversurfer6 (07-28-2024), Woofman (07-28-2024) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-28-2024, 09:23 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by mgx1020
So I think for the sake of PCNA seeing they must know there will always be a desire to bring back classic Pcar.

Cayenne 9Y0.3 with analog features (tach/clock, S/T), GTS dash options, Turbo facias.

not a chance in hell.

Originally Posted by retom

1/ Fashion: customers fascinated by technological developments constantly expect new bells and whistles in new car models.
2/ Costs: it is much cheaper to produce an LCD screen with haptic operation instead of many buttons, ***** or analogue indicators.
3/ Car complexity: with the number of options, assistance systems or data provided, their operation would require the number of buttons or ***** like on an airplane's dashboard. Apart from the costs, their operation would be really difficult. Additionally, digital solutions enable constant system upgrades.

I think the next level will be the development of AI that will allow for complete control of the car by voice. What is currently available is far from perfect.
Analog solutions will probably remain mainly in niche cars such as the latest Bugatti, where the instrument panel is a masterpiece of Swiss watchmaking. Although even in such cars, digitization cannot be avoided.
all of this.
Old 07-28-2024, 09:37 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,982 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by mgx1020

Old 07-28-2024, 10:40 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 217 Posts

I’ve had my 24 base hybrid for 8 1/2 weeks and have 3203 miles including a few day-long driving trips. Except for future trips I don’t expect to spend so much time in the SUV when convertible weather kicks in after August.

I really like the digital dash. It’s more flexible than Mrs. L’s GLE450 dash and doesn’t share the Merc’s PITA mouse buttons that regularly inadvertently change the screen set up. That said, I hope they add an analog clock display in a future update.

After a fairly short learning curve, changing the screens to help me enjoy the drive is now easy. Switching to the map for instance can be done by touch and allows a quick glance to give an overview of what’s ahead. In that regard, the dash works well with the PCM. Combined with the well integrated hybrid system, air suspension and PDCC, the entirety of the vehicle is a lot of fun.
Old 07-28-2024, 10:59 PM
Arclite6
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Porsche makes and sells more SUVs than any other car they make. They are helluva lot more people who want the latest and greatest tech in their cars (digital dash, heads up display, AR, etc..) than ones who want old fashion analog gauges that belong on a diesel generator. Without those buyers who want the latest tech and luxury feel with that Porsche badge you won’t have the other P cars.

They will never go back to analog gauges, because no other manufacturers are going analog. That ship has sail and these forums probably represent less than 1% of all owners.
Old 07-29-2024, 08:54 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

i've had two recent 7 series. I find the bmw ergo to be superior to the cayenne.
The bmw has the thumb roll for dash dimmer seven shortcut programmable buttons, and 4 drive modes , all hard buttons, and there are five -i think- menu buttons around the iDrive dial.easy to control a lot from the first level with eyes on road and yet still looks sleek.

Quick Reply: Bring back analog mechanisms