Sponsored By:

4th Generation Cayenne to be EV Only

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2024, 06:37 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 334 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by OncPorsche
waaahhh wahhhh wahhhhhhh superior technology is here look out! you guys are great, this topic brings out the most insufferable people; cant even have a genuine convo, mainly because most people are just arrogant and uninformed. sure driving an ev is boring; i havent been to a gas station for my daily in 2 years, havent paid $1 to operate it, not $1 (unless you count wiper fluid). While again, it is boring, pulled up next m3, m5, 911 S and spyder all within the last month and embarrassed all on both 4 lane backroad highways and straighterish highways, its not if its when BUT AT LEAST MY CAR IS GAS you can yell while my middle finger is 5 car lengths in front of you, if you can see it by the time im gone
Arrogant? Look who’s talking! Unless you own a Plaid, I bet the M3/5 weren’t even trying. Embarrassed? Hardly. Unless you own a Plaid, check your ego at the door and your tail between your legs.
Old 07-26-2024, 06:45 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 230 Posts

No way in hell I'd buy one. Period.

We use ours for long trips. And going electric would defeat the whole purpose of the car.

Last edited by George from MD; 07-26-2024 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-26-2024, 06:54 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

I must say, everyone I know who own an EV likes them as a DD but a good majority find them boring. It’s an appliance on wheels and they can have it. I have to have fun every time I’m behind the wheel. To each his own.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 07-26-2024 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-26-2024, 07:02 PM
OncPorsche
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
Arrogant? Look who’s talking! Unless you own a Plaid, I bet the M3/5 weren’t even trying. Embarrassed? Hardly. Unless you own a Plaid, check your ego at the door and your tail between your legs.
you again huh, My dd ev is 0-60 in <2.5s, silent killer. Not a plaid either. Tesla while they serve a dd purpose, aren’t luxury. To each their own.
Old 07-26-2024, 07:08 PM
GT3ZZZ
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 111 Posts

waaahhh wahhhh wahhhhhhh superior technology is here look out! you guys are great, this topic brings out the most insufferable people; cant even have a genuine convo, mainly because most people are just arrogant and uninformed. sure driving an ev is boring; i havent been to a gas station for my daily in 2 years, havent paid $1 to operate it, not $1 (unless you count wiper fluid). While again, it is boring, pulled up next m3, m5, 911 S and spyder all within the last month and embarrassed all on both 4 lane backroad highways and straighterish highways, its not if its when BUT AT LEAST MY CAR IS GAS you can yell while my middle finger is 5 car lengths in front of you, if you can see it by the time im gone
The technology isn't superior, it's a dead end like Betamax. Superior tech has demand pull from customers but EV doesn't, it's being forced on us by extremist politicians and the WEF combined with big subsidies. Maybe check out some big picture news on what's happening?

For me, the sound and smell and analogue feel and weight are the key points. If you like driving a giant washing machine that's great for you but not for many in here.

As for it costing you nothing, maybe you got lucky and rented it. If not, you'll have epic depreciation which will make the fuel costs look like pennies. The most insufferables of all are the EVangelista.
The following 2 users liked this post by GT3ZZZ:
George from MD (07-26-2024), luv2sleep (07-26-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 07:14 PM
OncPorsche
Instructor

Originally Posted by GT3ZZZ
The technology isn't superior, it's a dead end like Betamax. Superior tech has demand pull from customers but EV doesn't, it's being forced on us by extremist politicians and the WEF combined with big subsidies. Maybe check out some big picture news on what's happening?

For me, the sound and smell and analogue feel and weight are the key points. If you like driving a giant washing machine that's great for you but not for many in here.

As for it costing you nothing, maybe you got lucky and rented it. If not, you'll have epic depreciation which will make the fuel costs look like pennies. The most insufferables of all are the EVangelista.
im not hijacking the thread but these are the comments that let me know most peopl don’t know what they are talking about or im different. I could care less about saving the world or emissions etc. I travel so much for work not having to ever be at a gas station is great. I drive, charge and by the time I’m in done, I drive back. Car drives itself. I’m not touring evs as end all be all. It’s just perfect for a medium to moderate drive ev. Bought it after someone traded it in after 2000 miles and they took the dep hit. Probably worth what I paid for it (plus I got it at cost at the time of resale).
The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (07-27-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 07:24 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

you again huh, My dd ev is 0-60 in <2.5s, silent killer. Not a plaid either. Tesla while they serve a dd purpose, aren’t luxury. To each their own.
So, you don’t drive the quickest EV!? Well, that’s no fun. Definitely don’t have the bragging rights that’s plastered all over your post. Just sayin’.Arrogance anyone?
The following 3 users liked this post by luv2sleep:
George from MD (07-26-2024), Hunky (07-26-2024), Ron.s (07-26-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 07:35 PM
Elucidus
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

I still really want a Taycan, but with the mix of purposes I have for my vehicles, I can't justify one. If I could mount a 2" trailer hitch to it - maybe.
Old 07-26-2024, 07:39 PM
OncPorsche
Instructor

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
So, you don’t drive the quickest EV!? Well, that’s no fun. Definitely don’t have the bragging rights that’s plastered all over your post. Just sayin’.Arrogance anyone?
Tesla plaid isn’t the fastest ev…… Tesla (plaid inc) is below my luxury standard for a dd. It’s miserable inside. Again, not what this is about. Poor man’s fast ev. But they do serve a functional purpose.
Old 07-26-2024, 07:47 PM
OncPorsche
Instructor

Originally Posted by Elucidus
I still really want a Taycan, but with the mix of purposes I have for my vehicles, I can't justify one. If I could mount a 2" trailer hitch to it - maybe.
my advice and it goes for all people looking into evs. You need to know what you’re getting into and using it for. It’s not going to replace a 6 hour road trip family hauler (not yet) and if charging is a problem (not sure how it would be in 2024, everyone should have a charger at their house installed for <$500) you’re setting yourself up for failure. All new EVs have a massive dep hit so finding one with like 5-10k on it is perfect spot.
Old 07-26-2024, 08:23 PM
Elucidus
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

my advice and it goes for all people looking into evs. You need to know what you’re getting into and using it for. It’s not going to replace a 6 hour road trip family hauler (not yet) and if charging is a problem (not sure how it would be in 2024, everyone should have a charger at their house installed for <$500) you’re setting yourself up for failure. All new EVs have a massive dep hit so finding one with like 5-10k on it is perfect spot.
Thanks, I have a few thousand miles of experience driving EVs of various shapes and sizes, including towing a few different trailers with one. I have an 11kW charger at my house which is barely touched by my 2019 Cayenne E-Hybrid (3.6kW onboard charger ).

6 hours seems perfectly doable with a Taycan. That's one charge stop, and I usually stop every 2 hours or so for a number of reasons. Having a planned stop in hour 3 or 4 is OK by me.

Towing or carrying a roof box is what kills the idea of using an EV for me. I was considering a Taycan instead of a Cayenne, but that roofbox would have changed a 1 stop 6 hour drive into a 2 or 3 stop drive, with some of those stops having minimal charger coverage.
The following 2 users liked this post by Elucidus:
daveo4porsche (07-26-2024), OncPorsche (07-26-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 09:10 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 179 Posts

In Car & Driver today, "Gas-Powered Porsche Cayenne Will Reach 2030's, Keep V8 Engine Alive"

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a6...-hybrid-2030s/
Old 07-26-2024, 09:25 PM
Ron.s
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Just off the cuff without much thought...
EV's are still bleeding edge tech with high obsolecence for some time to come...some 1-2 year old Taycans in my area have depreciated much more than ice...as much as 50%. Dealer inventory turn of EV's are running 2X to 3X ICE. Higher income folks probably prefer a new vehicle or a big discount on a CPO. Middle class market challenge is still the cost of a home setup and apartment dwellers with not enough chargers if any. A high percentage of pre 1970 neiborhoods require costly Power Co infrasture changes to supply the power. Homes/neighborhoods with 100 Amp systems will require huge costs to transition.
Infrastructure is almost non existent in rural America and as faster charging developes it will make existing units obsolete and unpopular since charging times will be greater.
Northern America faces range degradation in cold weather as well as lack of charging infrastructure.
Supply of power-we can't keep up with Electric Power peak demand now and the Green movement is pushing out Coal, Nuclear...NG next? Push in some states to ban NG Aplliances. I for one would look for alternatives when/if any proposed system requires off peak charging or drawing power from my EV to supplement the System.
Sure these issues can be resolved...someday probably at a very high cost. There's a reason that no one has developed a business plan outlining the total cost estimate of the EV transition...now required by Law. When EV mandates start hitting Joe Public's pocketbook, pushback might just swing the Political climate. Wealthy Porsche buyers in Metro areas might not have the best understanding of the total picture.
At present it appears the China has a good chance of dominating the non luxury EV market...just another increase of our Trade Deficit to a Communist Country.
Sometimes a poorly executed "good idea" can have serious unintended consequences, IMO. I'm not anti EV!

Last edited by Ron.s; 07-26-2024 at 10:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
OncPorsche (07-26-2024)
Old 07-27-2024, 09:54 AM
Hunky
Pro

Received 303 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
LOL @ the usual anti-EV tropes. Yes, a kid carrying dirt on his head in a meme sure does tell the whole story about child labor in precious metal mining. Not to mention the kid in that picture appears to be moving dirt to build a building foundation, hence the block in the background, but why let facts get in the way of your argument.

Take that crap to the OTF. The reality is that Porsche, among others, are investing in EV's. If you don't like it.....see ya.
Like these foundations under construction?

Old 07-27-2024, 11:43 AM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 220 Posts

I mean, we’re talking about SUVs here. So boring is okay, long as it’s capable and comfy.

But I have no desire for sedans of any kind and will never buy an EV sports car. Because, for me, an EV is absolutely boring and soulless as a sports car. I don’t care if it can go 0-60 so fast it time travels back to the past. If there’s no exhaust and no gears, then I find it boring. It took me like 2 minutes to decide to forego the PDK in my gt3 in favor of a manual which means giving up at least a half second in 0-60 time. Because driver engagement is what I value, not straight line speed.

But listen, if saving money and the sound of vacuum cleaner is what excites you, and it gives your middle finger a hard-on, then great - each to their own.

I like actually driving my cars and don’t care what it costs to do it. Maybe you could start a GoFundMe and we can donate to you so you can afford to drive a car with a soul?

Quick Reply: 4th Generation Cayenne to be EV Only