4th Generation Cayenne to be EV Only

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2024, 06:39 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunky
There is no need for the US to buy foriegn oil when we have more than enough of our own.
EVs have a place in our transportation futures but at present I wouldn't get to sanctamonius about your rechargeable car when this is the current reality:

No "authoritarium regime" involved in this business. Naaaaaaahhhhh!
LOL @ the usual anti-EV tropes. Yes, a kid carrying dirt on his head in a meme sure does tell the whole story about child labor in precious metal mining. Not to mention the kid in that picture appears to be moving dirt to build a building foundation, hence the block in the background, but why let facts get in the way of your argument.

Take that crap to the OTF. The reality is that Porsche, among others, are investing in EV's. If you don't like it.....see ya.
The following users liked this post:
FlightLevel (07-28-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 06:49 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
so it's not "if" - this _WILL_ happen - so let's pretend this has already happened - what would you buy instead _TODAY_?

and your really really opposed to instant Torque, bonkers acceleration, plenty of power at all time, instant throttle response, and a super low center of gravity which improves "feel" and handling?
New 4Runner
X5
X7
MB ICE SUV if one exists at the time
Macan ICE if one exists and ICE Cayenne not available at the time
Old 07-25-2024, 06:52 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 365 Likes on 220 Posts

I figured my 24 Cayenne S would likely be my last non-EV SUV. Will depend on the state of public charging and range and all.

But I buy Porsche's for the driving/handling fun and if I'm switching to an EV, then I'm not sure I'd bother w/a Porsche. So while I wouldn't say "I'm out", because I'm not ideologically opposed to EVs (just not a fan of mandates), without the dulcet tones of the burbling V8, I might decide to shift my priorities from handling to luxurious comfort and that's not really where Porsche shines, so I'd certainly be scouting other brand's offerings.
Old 07-25-2024, 07:16 PM
retom
Pro

Received 445 Likes on 263 Posts

When the first cars with combustion engines appeared, the owners of horse-drawn carriages also said that this technology would not catch on. Horses were quieter, cheaper, did not require petrol and could be fed with grass by stopping in every field.

I think that many people who talk about EVs here have never driven cars such as the Taycan, Audi e-tron GT or BMW i4 M50.
It is a completely different pleasure to drive such cars. If the problem with short range, long charging time and vehicle weight is solved, cars with ICE will naturally disappear from the market.

In 3-5 years, solid-state batteries will become an absolute game changer. Then we will be able to return to the discussion about the advantages of ICE over EV
Old 07-25-2024, 07:19 PM
GT3ZZZ
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 98 Posts

I'm going to run my MY23 TGT for as long as I can. It's a high water mark for the Cayenne IMHO, outrageous performance and the last one with an analogue rev counter, key start and proper gear shifter. Zero interest in any EV, let alone a Porsche, just overweight and over-priced and then will depreciate off the scale.

LDT (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 07:21 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 189 Posts

Not really concerned. Manufactures need to preserve markets where EVs are about the only choice. For the others it’s more up to the individuals. They do say the ICE will be manufactured alongside the EV. You want an EV buy it. I will stay with ICE until my years of driving end or there are none available. Just have to plan the timing of purchases. Something to consider with the Cayenne EV: Rumored weight? More than most mountains. https://apple.news/A-BD5XMdeRKCmXT3_vT7vSw
Old 07-25-2024, 07:21 PM
LDT
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 377 Posts

Count me out. If true, a current model year GTS will command a pretty price.
Old 07-25-2024, 07:30 PM
LDT
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
so it's not "if" - this _WILL_ happen - so let's pretend this has already happened - what would you buy instead _TODAY_?

and your really really opposed to instant Torque, bonkers acceleration, plenty of power at all time, instant throttle response, and a super low center of gravity which improves "feel" and handling?
Current yr CPO Cayenne GTS or S
X5
Q8
New GX
GV 70/80
’25 Explorer (ouch)
GLE
Old 07-25-2024, 07:51 PM
Hunky
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
LOL @ the usual anti-EV tropes. Yes, a kid carrying dirt on his head in a meme sure does tell the whole story about child labor in precious metal mining. Not to mention the kid in that picture appears to be moving dirt to build a building foundation, hence the block in the background, but why let facts get in the way of your argument.

Take that crap to the OTF. The reality is that Porsche, among others, are investing in EV's. If you don't like it.....see ya.
"building foundation", sure thing.
Old 07-25-2024, 08:06 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,952 Likes on 1,924 Posts

There is no need for the US to buy foriegn oil when we have more than enough of our own.
EVs have a place in our transportation futures but at present I wouldn't get to sanctamonius about your rechargeable car when this is the current reality:

No "authoritarium regime" involved in this business. Naaaaaaahhhhh!
we can address this if it's an actual problem - which it is - we've gotten child labor out of other industries - it's a solvable problem - and getting rid of EV's wont' get rid of the world's demand for lithium for other purposes…

child labor is abhorrent - the fact that's it's tolerated in some regions can be addressed - the world will continue to mine/consume lithium with/with-out EV's - unless you're willing to give up _ALL_ your batteries - which honestly in implausible for medical devices and other uses…

this is a pointless "fact" that can be addressed via policy requirements/changes…the EV is not causing this.
Old 07-25-2024, 08:10 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 300 Likes on 199 Posts

I’m not anti-EV but I can’t get excited driving one. Sure, they are quick but lack character IMO. The day that I’m forced to buy an EV, I’ll find a new hobby. Drill baby, drill!
The following 3 users liked this post by luv2sleep:
Hunky (07-25-2024), LDT (07-25-2024), Toothmechanic (07-26-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 08:31 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 300 Likes on 199 Posts

Let’s just skip the chicken little electrons and go straight to nuclear energy via the flux capacitor!
Old 07-25-2024, 08:40 PM
Hunky
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
I’m not anti-EV but I can’t get excited driving one. Sure, they are quick but lack character IMO. The day that I’m forced to buy an EV, I’ll find a new hobby. Drill baby, drill!
I can relate to this, very well stated.
Toothmechanic (07-26-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 01:40 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,623 Posts

"building foundation", sure thing.
How much excavation, mining or construction have you been a part of in your life? Do you do it professionally? I do. I see cinder blocks below grade and rebar cages sticking up for column tie ins. What do you see? A cobalt mine? Try googling a picture of "cobalt mine" and see what you come up with.

I'll wait.

BTW, my wife is in O&G so I'm no "hug the polar bears" guy but also don't like spreading BS memes to try to make a point.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 07-26-2024 at 01:43 PM.
aggie57 (07-26-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 01:52 PM
OncPorsche
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 62 Posts

waaahhh wahhhh wahhhhhhh superior technology is here look out! you guys are great, this topic brings out the most insufferable people; cant even have a genuine convo, mainly because most people are just arrogant and uninformed. sure driving an ev is boring; i havent been to a gas station for my daily in 2 years, havent paid $1 to operate it, not $1 (unless you count wiper fluid). While again, it is boring, pulled up next m3, m5, 911 S and spyder all within the last month and embarrassed all on both 4 lane backroad highways and straighterish highways, its not if its when BUT AT LEAST MY CAR IS GAS you can yell while my middle finger is 5 car lengths in front of you, if you can see it by the time im gone

Quick Reply: 4th Generation Cayenne to be EV Only