Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Badged as Cayenne S but has 3.0L engine??

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2024, 03:39 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 350 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Woofman
LOL, have you done repairs and maintenance on Toyota and Lexus vehicles? So easy. Porsche dealership oil and filter change: $260 (apparently that's low). Toyota dealership oil and filter change: $63
While I was on the 50,000 mile warranty, I religiouslt took my Porsche for maintenance for around $500-$600..

After the warranty, they they quoted me ~$1,000, and since then, I do my own oil, oil filter, engine air filter, and brake pad/rotor service ... Oil and Filter change cost me around $70.00, and it takes me 45 minutes max using my oil vacuum extractor, counting waiting to the oil to be bacuum out..

Last time the charge me $8,000 for changing only one turbo, while any other vehicle cost a fraction of that. They mentioned that after 80,000 miles, you need good luck for your turbos to not fail, since they are not maintainable.
Mine jas only one rod that broke, and they could not fix it..
Old 07-15-2024, 04:08 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Shuga
You're talking about oil changes and brakes. The brakes on a Toyota don't cost the same as they do on a Porsche, same thing for the oil that's used. Is it easy to do an oil change? Only if you have the right tools. Like your R8 it's going to take more oil then a Camry.
To each his own. As with most on these forums, it's really not about the cost. I want it done right and more importantly, I don't like other people laying their hands on my cars. If only people knew how some techs perform a brake flush! The shady ones take a turkey baster and suck out the fluid from the master cylinder, then refill and among other shady practices. Maybe your Toyota shop?!

Last edited by luv2sleep; 07-15-2024 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-15-2024, 04:30 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 542 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheACC
Oil and Filter change cost me around $70.00, and it takes me 45 minutes max using my oil vacuum extractor, counting waiting to the oil to be bacuum out..
But how long does it take if you follow Porsche's oil change instructions which involve removing the undercover and draining the oil from below? And what about resetting the maintenance required message using an electronic tool that costs at least several hundred dollars. On Toyota/Lexus resetting the maintenance required message takes a few seconds following instructions in the owners manual.

I watched a Porsche dealership tech take around two hours to replace the flimsy Mattel-quality HVAC vents in the rear of the center console of my 2022 Cayenne. The vents were not broken but had come apart internally. On my Lexus vehicles, extracting and replacing the front or rear HVAC vents required a small screwdriver to release two clips, a trim removal tool to pry it out and about one minute of time. And the Toyota/Lexus vents aren't flimsy and subject to easily breaking.

Porsche vehicles do not seem to be designed with maintenance and repairs in mind with the "excuse" being that performance was the highest priority. I think its more a matter of the designers just not caring.

I'm actually not complaining but just stating what I've noticed. I knew what I was getting into when I bought Porsche.
Old 07-15-2024, 04:48 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,372 Posts

^^^ Agree with Woofman. Another example: the pollen filter. On my Lexus (and Jeep Wrangler, for that matter) it takes me about 2-3 minutes to change the filter — conveniently located in the glovebox — no tools required!.

Not so for the Cayennes. I had to wriggle and squirm myself upside down into the passenger footwell and unscrew several screws plus an electrical connector. What a PITA!
Old 07-15-2024, 05:12 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,193 Posts

But how long does it take if you follow Porsche's oil change instructions which involve removing the undercover and draining the oil from below? And what about resetting the maintenance required message using an electronic tool that costs at least several hundred dollars. On Toyota/Lexus resetting the maintenance required message takes a few seconds following instructions in the owners manual.

I watched a Porsche dealership tech take around two hours to replace the flimsy Mattel-quality HVAC vents in the rear of the center console of my 2022 Cayenne. The vents were not broken but had come apart internally. On my Lexus vehicles, extracting and replacing the front or rear HVAC vents required a small screwdriver to release two clips, a trim removal tool to pry it out and about one minute of time. And the Toyota/Lexus vents aren't flimsy and subject to easily breaking.

Porsche vehicles do not seem to be designed with maintenance and repairs in mind with the "excuse" being that performance was the highest priority. I think its more a matter of the designers just not caring.

I'm actually not complaining but just stating what I've noticed. I knew what I was getting into when I bought Porsche.
Maybe you're right that the designers don't care.

But maybe there's another explanation on why the routine maintenance and repairs on these cars is as involved and seemingly difficult (for an average car maintenance DIY'er) to do.

One of the key financial performance metrics that dealerships use to gauge their financial performance is referred by them as "Absorption Rate." The goal for them is to achieve and sustain (if possible) a 100% Service Department Absorption Rate which equates to the service department revenues being sufficient to cover 100% of the entire dealership fixed expenses and salaries for all personnel.

My thought is that the engineers / designers deliberately make these routine maintenance tasks more involved so that they are discouraging to the average DIY'er to take on. Driving more (or at least some) of that service business back to the dealership thereby helping the dealers achieve a higher service department absorption rate.

Old 07-15-2024, 05:13 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
To each his own. As with most on these forums, it's really not about the cost. I want it done right and more importantly, I don't like other people laying their hands on my cars. If only people knew how some techs perform a brake flush! The shady ones take a turkey baster and suck out the fluid from the master cylinder, then refill and among other shady practices. Maybe your Toyota shop?!
I didn't say I trusted the dealer, however when they break something I'm going after them full force. But when I break something, I just stare at it and think "I wish someone else woulda broken this."

The following users liked this post:
Vapordan (07-15-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 07:44 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

I reset my oil and maintenance interval in about 5 minutes max, counting turning on my Autel BK906BT, automatically reading my VIN, and done after pressing the reset oil/maintenance button..

I agree with the other callers that Porsche makes it hard and expensive to repair the vehicle and like the LiFePO5 Lithium battery ($2,200 battery part & $1,000 for the brainless easy labor and registration) that they embed custom electronics into the battery to make ot impossible for 3rd party companies to offer critical parts..

Like many other Porsche owners that I know, olit may be the last Porsche too. Too many other great luxury brand options, better customer service, much better electronics, and more reliable vehicles..

It's not the same Porsche quality and technology company that I new for more than 5 decades..

If Porsche don't offer 600 miles and 1,000 miles EV ranges, Porsche will be obsoleted faster than you say stupidly overpriced..
Old 07-15-2024, 07:55 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

I reset my oil and maintenance interval in about 5 minutes max, counting turning on my Autel BK906BT, automatically reading my VIN, and done after pressing the reset oil/maintenance button..

I agree with the other callers that Porsche makes it hard and expensive to repair the vehicle and like the LiFePO5 Lithium battery ($2,200 battery part & $1,000 for the brainless easy labor and registration) that they embed custom electronics into the battery to make ot impossible for 3rd party companies to offer critical parts..

Like many other Porsche owners that I know, olit may be the last Porsche too. Too many other great luxury brand options, better customer service, much better electronics, and more reliable vehicles..

It's not the same Porsche quality and technology company that I new for more than 5 decades..

If Porsche don't offer 600 miles and 1,000 miles EV ranges, Porsche will be obsoleted faster than you say stupidly overpriced..
I spent about 10 years working directly with Native Americans on a reservation. On occasion, some of them would jokingly refer to a person who was chronically negative as "black cloud". "Here comes Black Cloud again..."

My sense is the they would bring up that Black Cloud moniker if they read your posts. Constantly negative.

Old 07-15-2024, 10:57 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ironman88
I spent about 10 years working directly with Native Americans on a reservation. On occasion, some of them would jokingly refer to a person who was chronically negative as "black cloud". "Here comes Black Cloud again..."

My sense is the they would bring up that Black Cloud moniker if they read your posts. Constantly negative.
Bringing up my Porsche, and other owners issues, is not being negative.

This is a Porsche forum, like many others on the web, and not a Porsche marketing forum that only pushes sales like some people use it.

If you have been in forums for decades, you would learn the real issues that a vehicle has by the problems their owner have.

A forum that doesn't want to hear any problems with vehicles is a purely attended forum.

In addition, smart companies learn what real customer issues are and what they really want, and it may save the future existence of the company.

Like the 600 miles and 1,000 mile milestones..

Maybe Porsche will never make it a reality because there is a moron in the company that thinks low mileagemilseare the way to go, while China and other companies are going to make all those low mileage EV models completely obsolete starting the end of this year and finishing off low mileage EVs over the nexr years..

Don't want to hear issues? Then block me or don't click ony links.. don't tell owners not to post problems and complains on high count occurrence issues or how Porsche dealers treat their customers by denying warranties or on highly degective CPOs..

Old 07-15-2024, 11:06 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Bringing up my Porsche, and other owners issues, is not being negative.

This is a Porsche forum, like many others on the web, and not a Porsche marketing forum that only pushes sales like some people use it.

If you have been in forums for decades, you would learn the real issues that a vehicle has by the problems their owner have.

A forum that doesn't want to hear any problems with vehicles is a purely attended forum.

In addition, smart companies learn what real customer issues are and what they really want, and it may save the future existence of the company.

Like the 600 miles and 1,000 mile milestones..

Maybe Porsche will never make it a reality because there is a moron in the company that thinks low mileagemilseare the way to go, while China and other companies are going to make all those low mileage EV models completely obsolete starting the end of this year and finishing off low mileage EVs over the nexr years..

Don't want to hear issues? Then block me or don't click ony links.. don't tell owners not to post problems and complains on high count occurrence issues or how Porsche dealers treat their customers by denying warranties or on highly degective CPOs..

Old 07-16-2024, 08:52 AM
BobEisenberg
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
Funny. Really. That said, I’m not looking to start a “posting war” but my perspective is that if the cars have problems, I want to learn from others. Even better, if folks have had problems they’ve resolved, I appreciate the sharing of that info. Love my new to me ‘20 Cayenne Turbo but if I had to rely on dealers for all maintenance and repairs, I wouldn’t want to keep it. I’ve got other things to do with my money (kids’ college, e.g.). And if parts in my car have a history of failure, knowing that in advance helps me keep an eye out for such failures and possibly recognize the possible cause of a problem without visiting a shop. So that’s my view of forums like this and I’m most appreciative of all contributors — both with positive experiences to share or negative.
Old 07-16-2024, 09:58 AM
runbuh
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
Or, like my local Porsche Dealer, pay a kid to do oil changes and end up putting the wrong oil in my car. They put A40 into my car, when Porsche specifies C30, and then charged the normal high Porsche rate. Then they wanted to argue with me that they used the oil the Porsche specified, despite me showing them Porsche's documentation to them, plus the NHSTA documentation from Porsche, plus my owner's manual, which all called for C30.

Dealers can be a universal source for suckage. I do every bit of maintenance that I can do myself, and 2019 Cayenne S oil changes suck.
Old 07-16-2024, 01:51 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 569 Posts

Too many other great luxury brand options, better customer service, much better electronics, and more reliable vehicles..

Porsche will NEVER be obsolete. This brand is for enthusiast. Real car people. Not Tesla owners. Is Porsche tech the best? NO. Do people go buy a Porsche and say " This has the best tech I've ever seen?" No, not at all. They never will.
What are the other options on this level? Bentley? Ferrari? Lamborghini? Did the quality go down? Yes. Has every car brand quality gone down? Yes 100% But we still buy them.
Old 07-16-2024, 05:44 PM
Vapordan
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Here are the facts. Porsche doesn't really care what the folks on Rennlist say.

Apart from Covid dip and Great recession, the brand isn't slowing down.
Good read: The Facts And Numbers Behind Porsche (motor1.com)

Last edited by Vapordan; 07-16-2024 at 05:46 PM. Reason: better picture
Old 07-16-2024, 06:54 PM
Alnitak
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sur5or
Hi OP

your messages make it sound like the “not really an “S”” car was “CPO’d” then auctioned by a Porsche dealer to the non-Porsche dealer that sold it to you? In that case I don’t think the CPO is valid and won’t be honored my Porsche…never mind that I don’t see how the badging issue would pass CPO in the first place.

maybe I have it wrong?
You have it correct. CPO's by Porsche in Florida, bought in NJ, obviously (or so it seems) on a 3-year lease; turned in after 2 years and 10 months, then somehow made it to Florida where it was CPO'd (all according to Carfax).

I had same question after your post...How could Porsche CPO it with wrong badging?? Seems they would have CPO'd base model and re=badger accordingly.

Quick Reply: Badged as Cayenne S but has 3.0L engine??