Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Badged as Cayenne S but has 3.0L engine??

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2024, 04:17 PM
Alnitak
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was not a Porsche dealer...they picked it up at auction, I assume, from the Porsche dealer in Florida that certified it CPO. There was another local one, "S", at same price, but 2019 and 9k more miles. When I got there to look at it (before driving 45 miles to the other dealer) I was excited to see the S badging, and mentioned that to the sales guy. Said, "This may prevent me from going to Frederick, MD to look at the other option." Was never told by him or anyone else that the badging was incorrect. But shame on me for not looking under the hood (except for a quick peek from the salesman who showed me how clean it was under the hood when I first got there. At that point, I hadn't done enough research on models to be familiar with the various engines).
Old 07-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 518 Posts

But how was it advertised online or where you first saw it? "Cayenne" or "Cayenne S". It makes a difference.
Old 07-12-2024, 07:12 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 275 Likes on 182 Posts

I’d get a consultation from a lawyer. There isn’t a shortage of posers out there. I never understood why people would rebadge their car. Insecurity, I guess. Who cares what you drive as long you enjoy it. It’s true…in CA, especially in SoCal, there are quite a few pretentious folks.
Old 07-12-2024, 10:54 PM
Vapordan
Instructor

Received 129 Likes on 77 Posts

That sucks. But consider a slightly different take.

That aside, do you dislike anything else in the car? I would talk to the dealer first. What’s to gain by getting rid of the car though?

It’s an S, it says so on the back. The rest is in your head.

Maybe the admins are going to remove another of my post for being sexist and calling me misogynist and hurting my feelings, but Take it slow, learn to love her. One day at a time. Remember nobody else knows.
Old 07-12-2024, 11:02 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,210 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by Alnitak
Can't believe the dealer didn't tell me of the discrepancy. Doesn't surprise me since it was originally leased in NJ/NY. First car purchased for myself in 22 tears, and first Porsche (at 70 years old)...sure blew that. Guess will be looking to turn it around and try to get close what I paid for it.
If you are thinking about getting rid of this pseudo S for a real S - you may want to drive a real S first.

You may decide the difference is not sufficient to justify the loss you'll take by unloading what you have now.

Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM
Hunky
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 97 Posts

Can't believe that anyone is insecure to the point that they purchase a base model Cayenne and then rebadge it to be passed off as an "S". How stupid is that, one in 10,000 people would know the difference and none would care from that point. Total ******* thing to do. Time for counseling.
Still not as bad as ********* who put Ferrari emblems on red C8 Corvettes.

Last edited by Hunky; Yesterday at 01:32 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM
Vapordan
Instructor

Received 129 Likes on 77 Posts

It takes all kinds to make the world go round..without such quality folk, the world would stop spinning and then what?
Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM
Hunky
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Vapordan
It takes all kinds to make the world go round..without such quality folk, the world would stop spinning and then what?
Yeah, what would homicide detectives do if there were no more murderers? Probably unlikely in the near future and certainly not in places like Chicago.
Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM
Alnitak
AutoX

Quick update:
Went to the dealer today and explained what happened. The sales person was also there. and confirmed with the manager that I had discussed an S with him, the other competing car I was looking at, my preference for their Silver vs. the other black, etc.. He also admitted he believed it was an S given the badging. He never even thought to question it.

The manager showed me the original listing, which did not mention an S, which I countered with their failure to disclose the discrepancy and that the badging itself was an advertisement for the car, and I wasn't going to drive a "poser" car. Bottom line, he is reaching out to the Porsche dealer GM where the 2019 car is, says he knows him well, and is going to buy the car there and bring it out to his dealership, where they will transfer to me and adjust the financing. It is not a CPO car, like the base model (is that because of mileage--34k--or age??). So fortunately, I had purchased the 6-year extended warranty, including a couple years of maintenance, and they will transfer that to the new car.

Keeping fingers crossed that this will all go seamlessly!

The 'new" car (2019) has more options than the 2021. including Premium Package Plus, 4-zone heat/AC, ventilated seats, LED Matrix lights and PDLS+, Adaptive Air Suspension, and roof rails. It is also $3k cheaper, though two years older and 9k miles more. I am OK with the trade-off (unless there is something else I should consider?).

My only other question is on the wheels. The 2021 had 21" Spyder wheels, with the bigger tires, and the 2019 only has the 20" upgrade option (listed at $2170). Is it worth replacing them with the 21"? Is there any difference in performance and/or handling?

Thanks all for your input and feedback. Will let you know where I end up.

Last edited by Alnitak; Yesterday at 02:16 PM. Reason: readibility
The following users liked this post:
Vapordan (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 518 Posts

You better be saying a special prayer tonight, because most dealers would tell you to F off.
Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Quick update:
Went to the dealer today and explained what happened. The sales person was also there. and confirmed with the manager that I had discussed an S with him, the other competing car I was looking at, my preference for their Silver vs. the other black, etc.. He also admitted he believed it was an S given the badging. He never even thought to question it.

The manager showed me the original listing, which did not mention an S, which I countered with their failure to disclose the discrepancy and that the badging itself was an advertisement for the car, and I wasn't going to drive a "poser" car. Bottom line, he is reaching out to the Porsche dealer GM where the 2019 car is, says he knows him well, and is going to buy the car there and bring it out to his dealership, where they will transfer to me and adjust the financing. It is not a CPO car, like the base model (is that because of mileage--34k--or age??). So fortunately, I had purchased the 6-year extended warranty, including a couple years of maintenance, and they will transfer that to the new car.

Keeping fingers crossed that this will all go seamlessly!

The 'new" car (2019) has more options than the 2021. including Premium Package Plus, 4-zone heat/AC, ventilated seats, LED Matrix lights and PDLS+, Adaptive Air Suspension, and roof rails. It is also $3k cheaper, though two years older and 9k miles more. I am OK with the trade-off (unless there is something else I should consider?).

My only other question is on the wheels. The 2021 had 21" Spyder wheels, with the bigger tires, and the 2019 only has the 20" upgrade option (listed at $2170). Is it worth replacing them with the 21"? Is there any difference in performance and/or handling?

Thanks all for your input and feedback. Will let you know where I end up.
Neither age nor mileage in that instance would impact whether or not the car could be a CPO. The dealership would make the judgment to pursue having the car certified through Porsche. It would require that the car pass a fairly stringent set of condition / wear inspections and guidelines. To be CPO'd, the car would also have to meet some other basic requirements as well. A Porsche dealership can provide a CPO checklist to you if you were to inquire about it with them.

Best of luck with the process to resolve the current situation. It sounds like you've handled it very well thus far.

Vapordan (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 530 Likes on 324 Posts

It's up to you on which wheels you want and/or like but I consider the 20" size to be the "sweet spot" even though my 2022 came with the 21 inch wheels. And I simply don't like the Spyder wheels but plenty of people love them.

There's a big difference in size between the OEM 19" tires and the 20" tires but much less difference between the 20" tires and the 21 inch tires. Here is a list of the tire sizes for each diameter wheel for the Cayenne 9Y0.1.

19" wheels/tires
Front: 8.5Jx19 ET 47 wheels with 255/55 ZR19 tires
Rear: 9.5Jx19 ET 54 wheels with 275/50 ZR19 tires

20" wheels/tires
Front: 9.0J x 20 ET 50 wheels with 275/45 ZR20 tires
Rear: 10.5J x 20 ET 55 wheels with 305/40 ZR20 tires

21" wheels/tires
Front: 9.5J x 21 ET 46 wheels with 285/40 R21 tires
Rear: 11J x 21 ET 58 wheels with 315/35 R21 tires

Not that the ride quality of the 21 inch wheels and tires is bad but the 20" wheels and tires will provide a slighter more plush ride while giving up very little in handling. When I bought winter tires and OEM wheels to put them on, I bought OEM 20" wheels and tires.

Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM
AaronGTS
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Arione
did you not review the car information before purchase? So many people upbadge their Porsches so they dont look poor. Use the vinanalytics decoder to see what you really have.
I just picked up a 24' Cayenne S (MSRP 135K) and it's de-badged. Those who "know" will see my red brake calipers and know what's up! ))

Alnitak (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Couple of other things to consider relative to the 21" RS Spyder wheels -

1) They are tedious to clean. Really tedious, particularly with the rapid build-up of brake dust on these cars. You can mitigate some of the cleaning drudgery if you ceramic coat the wheels. That really helps reduce the amount of time and effort it takes to get them to look nice.

2) The cost differential between 20" and 21" tires. Not many options on 21" tires and they are all pretty expensive. I have not priced the 20" tire options for the Cayenne, but there has to be more choices and lower prices for them.

(My 2019 base with the 21" wheel option - after cleaning / ceramic coating them.)

Lots of crevices, corners, and intersection points on these wheels where brake dust can accumulate. PITA to keep clean - unless you ceramic coat them.
Alnitak (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM
Alnitak
AutoX

Beautiful!

Thanks for the tips!

Quick Reply: Badged as Cayenne S but has 3.0L engine??