Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Sport Response Function - is it basically Sport Plus?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 11:22 PM
canuckporsche
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Sport Response Function - is it basically Sport Plus?

When pressing the red Sport Response button is it basically putting the vehicle in Sport Plus mode for 20 seconds? Does it only really add better performance when pressing while in Normal mode?

Last edited by canuckporsche; 01-02-2024 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-03-2024, 07:27 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,096 Posts

Originally Posted by canuckporsche
When pressing the red Sport Response button is it basically putting the vehicle in Sport Plus mode for 20 seconds? Does it only really add better performance when pressing while in Normal mode?
To me it feels like different shift mapping (this is certain) and a bit more acceleration (spark and fuel map). Porsche puts a few words to this in either the brochure, press release or owners manual. Haven’t looked at it in a while.
Old 01-03-2024, 09:37 AM
Kalson
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

If you have Sport Chrono, it boosts the Turbo Boost for 20 seconds. Hence the quoted acceleration figures are quicker with Sport Chrono.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 01:23 PM
gatorfast
Burning Brakes

Received 466 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalson
If you have Sport Chrono, it boosts the Turbo Boost for 20 seconds. Hence the quoted acceleration figures are quicker with Sport Chrono.
I believe the quicker acceleration figures with sport chrono are due to launch control and not the sport response button.
Old 01-03-2024, 08:47 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,270 Likes on 619 Posts

Sport Plus and proactive downshift to the lowest reasonable gear so you would not have the kick-down delay when punching the throttle.
chassis (01-03-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 10:29 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 262 Posts

The Sports Response button increases boost so there will be inc torque and HP. Fun to do 🤪
chassis (01-04-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 06:33 PM
canuckporsche
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Tried it for first time today. Was going about 90km per hour when I tried it. The transmission aggressively downshifted and there was immediate increased horsepower and torque. Exhaust seemed louder too. The dash changed to reflect the 20 second countdown. Pretty impressive for sure and a “must do” function to demonstrate to first time passengers lol
Old 01-06-2024, 07:07 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 462 Likes on 336 Posts

i'm still trying to get my hands on some better documents - and who knows if it will happen, but the details are all outlined somewhere.
Old 01-06-2024, 07:28 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,428 Posts

Two of my posts from previous thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post17248542

Owner’s manual pp. 183-185 documents that the Sport+ mode affects engine, transmission, chassis, adaptive cruise control, sport exhaust, roof spoiler, and even the lighting system.

It also states: “In SPORT Response mode, the engine and transmission are set to maximum response with timer-control”

Does the Sport Response give the engine and transmission capabilities beyond Sport+? Not documented. I’m going to test it tomorrow by accelerating in Sport+ and then pressing Sport Response and noting any changes. I’ll post my observations.

However, it is clear that Sport+ affects many more systems than Sport Response, which only affects engine and transmission mapping.

NEXT POST
I put together a quick test plan for the Sport Response Mode (2019 Cayenne Turbo, 4.0L V-8).

BLUF: 1) There is a notable difference between Sport+ and Sport Response. 2) Sport Response remapped the transmission more aggressively than Sport+. 3) The difference between Normal Mode and Sport Response is vast. 4) This car is an absolute hoot to drive!

While at steady speed in S+, pressing the Sport Response button kicked transmission down one or two gears, depending on speed. At 65mph: 5th down to 3rd. At 35 mph: 3rd down to 2nd. While downshifts are clearly more aggressive, I failed to note the upshift RPMs in each mode during acceleration runs. These may be different, as well.

During both full and 3/4 throttle runs, I noted no additional seat of the pants performance gain after activating Sport Response midway during the (already very fast) acceleration run. This is very subjective, as I’ve owned this vehicle less than a month and am still getting a feel for the vehicle dynamics. Plus, this thing accelerates like it’s hair is on fire and things were happening quickly. A more objective test may be timed rolling start 5-60mph runs in each mode.

I looked at turbo boost pressures in both modes to quantify engine performance. Plus, it gave me an excuse to hammer the Fun Button a few more times. During full throttle acceleration in Sport+ boost pressure gauge showed full scale and digital showed 20psi. Sport Response showed same full scale but digital reading was obscured by the Sport Response countdown timer.

While testing Sport Response during Normal mode I was surprised to see the Sport Exhaust activated. The manual says only the engine and transmission are affected - I guess the Sport Exhaust is an added bonus. So that raises the question: What other undocumented systems might be activated by the Sport Response button?

I’m curious if one of the OBD2 Bluetooth Apps for real-time recording various engine / transmission parameters would shed more light on this.

I would have continued my testing but my cheeks began hurting from the constant smiling. 😃

Last edited by Schnave; 01-06-2024 at 07:30 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Schnave:
chassis (01-06-2024), rajatparihar (01-07-2024), ThomasWShea (01-06-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 09:26 PM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by canuckporsche
Tried it for first time today. Was going about 90km per hour when I tried it. The transmission aggressively downshifted and there was immediate increased horsepower and torque. Exhaust seemed louder too. The dash changed to reflect the 20 second countdown. Pretty impressive for sure and a “must do” function to demonstrate to first time passengers lol
ha, "I don't know what this button does and these people have never even been in my car before. Let's do it."

Quick Reply: Sport Response Function - is it basically Sport Plus?