Sponsored By:

2021 Cayenne GTS Coupe - Sport Response Button

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 04:18 AM
ScoofyNudooz
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2021 Cayenne GTS Coupe - Sport Response Button

OMG, who has been playing with the Sport Response Button (SRB)? I initially thought this feature would be a bit of a gimmick, but man, this is just the most fun 20 seconds you can have. Raises revs, drops a gear or two and followed up with amazing upshift speeds. I don't what what the specs are on the shift speed under SRB, but it is lightening fast, and much faster than in Sport + mode, and will even give you a kick in the back of the seat when changing gear. Downshifts also happen at a much higher rev, and just egg you on to nailing the throttle again. SRB is pure magic and adds another level of excitement to the driving experience.
Old 02-09-2021, 01:14 PM
A4EP
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

I call that button the "Fun Button". I was also very surprised at how much it changes the car for those 20 seconds. It is kinda like launch control for when you are moving. Hands down the best part of Sport Chrono.
Old 02-09-2021, 02:58 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

I've searched but cannot find any technical information about what really changes with the sport response button. What I'd really like to know is whether the boost is increased. Porsche has stated that max boost on the GTS is 11.6 psi while the Turbo gets 18.8.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:02 PM
gkellys
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

The first time I tried it full accelerator stomp on my 2020 Turbo turning onto the expressway on ramp, I thought it was going to pull a wheelie!!!

Definitely does something above normal!
The following users liked this post:
highside49 (02-11-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 02:13 AM
ScoofyNudooz
7th Gear

Just been out again today experiencing the SRB. Was cruising along at 100km/h in 8th gear, pushed the SRB saw that she kicks down immediately to 3rd gear, revs to 5,000 rpm and then it is all on. This is really cool stuff by Porsche and is such a fun buzz factor.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:22 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 386 Posts

SRB is no different to Sport+.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:53 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Source?
Old 02-21-2021, 06:29 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,411 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Owner’s manual pp. 183-185 documents that the Sport+ mode affects engine, transmission, chassis, adaptive cruise control, sport exhaust, roof spoiler, and even the lighting system.

It also states: “In SPORT Response mode, the engine and transmission are set to maximum response with timer-control”

Does the Sport Response give the engine and transmission capabilities beyond Sport+? Not documented. I’m going to test it tomorrow by accelerating in Sport+ and then pressing Sport Response and noting any changes. I’ll post my observations.

However, it is clear that Sport+ affects many more systems than Sport Response, which only affects engine and transmission mapping.

Last edited by Schnave; 02-24-2021 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:53 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

I put together a quick test plan for the Sport Response Mode (2019 Cayenne Turbo, 4.0L V-8).

BLUF: 1) There is a notable difference between Sport+ and Sport Response. 2) Sport Response remapped the transmission more aggressively than Sport+. 3) The difference between Normal Mode and Sport Response is vast. 4) This car is an absolute hoot to drive!

While at steady speed in S+, pressing the Sport Response button kicked transmission down one or two gears, depending on speed. At 65mph: 5th down to 3rd. At 35 mph: 3rd down to 2nd. While downshifts are clearly more aggressive, I failed to note the upshift RPMs in each mode during acceleration runs. These may be different, as well.

During both full and 3/4 throttle runs, I noted no additional seat of the pants performance gain after activating Sport Response midway during the (already very fast) acceleration run. This is very subjective, as I’ve owned this vehicle less than a month and am still getting a feel for the vehicle dynamics. Plus, this thing accelerates like it’s hair is on fire and things were happening quickly. A more objective test may be timed rolling start 5-60mph runs in each mode.

I looked at turbo boost pressures in both modes to quantify engine performance. Plus, it gave me an excuse to hammer the Fun Button a few more times. During full throttle acceleration in Sport+ boost pressure gauge showed full scale and digital showed 20psi. Sport Response showed same full scale but digital reading was obscured by the Sport Response countdown timer.

While testing Sport Response during Normal mode I was surprised to see the Sport Exhaust activated. The manual says only the engine and transmission are affected - I guess the Sport Exhaust is an added bonus. So that raises the question: What other undocumented systems might be activated by the Sport Response button?

I’m curious if one of the OBD2 Bluetooth Apps for real-time recording various engine / transmission parameters would shed more light on this.

I would have continued my testing but my cheeks began hurting from the constant smiling. 😃

Last edited by Schnave; 02-22-2021 at 08:49 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Schnave:
ScoofyNudooz (02-22-2021), TempeAndy (02-21-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 04:13 AM
ScoofyNudooz
7th Gear

Thanks Schnave for trying to apply a more scientific experiment to conclude whether SRB is something more than Sport +. Based on my limited driving experience and use of Sport + and SRB, I am still convinced that SRB is more ramped up performance than Sport + offers. It would be nice if Porsche would just make it clear what it actually/technically does, ie does it increase boost pressure above the documented 11.6 psi; does it initiate downshifts at a higher rpm etc, etc
Old 02-22-2021, 09:11 AM
runbuh
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Just try back (SRB) to back (S+) to back (SRB) to back (S+) launches from 0-60, and use a timer. You're not waiting for any downshifts, etc. That should show you any engine/drivetrain performance differences.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:18 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

There is no difference between SRb and Sport+. Any perceived difference is down to the fact that Sport+ responds/learns according to your driving style. If you are not 100% on it in Sport+, it will change up a bit earlier and respond slightly less aggressively. All SRB does is assume you are 100% on it and responds accordingly. Effectively, it’s a short cut but it’s actually no different to being 100% on it in Sport+.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:07 PM
A4EP
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

Multiple sources online say that the SRB allow the turbos to overboost. This is why it is limited to 20 seconds to protect the engine. I also remember my dealer telling me this.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:32 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Nope. Turbo boost is maximised but there is no overboost.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:37 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Thanks 4AEP. I Googled “Cayenne Turbo overboost” and, indeed, found a couple sites that referenced the overboost ( see below). However, they provided no reference for their claims. For me, the jury is still out until I can find more technical details or prove it myself.

My previous “seat of the pants” tests showed no improvement in acceleration but did show an aggressive transmission map over and above the Sport+. Chris may be on to something regarding the transmission downshifting as if you had WOT even when you have throttle set at less than wide open. I observed this in my test described in earlier post.

Another thread mentioned the Dragy GPS performance meter seen here: http://www.godragy.com/. I’m considering purchasing this and conducting acceleration tests to prove or disclaim this once and for all. I’ll be sure to post my results to this thread.

Here are links to those overboost references:

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...w-first-drive/

https://www.guideautoweb.com/en/gall...-cayenne/?im=8

Last edited by Schnave; 02-23-2021 at 02:02 PM.

Quick Reply: 2021 Cayenne GTS Coupe - Sport Response Button