Sponsored By:

cayenne S E Hybrid worth it over Base?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2023, 10:16 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Max20
In US, the S E hybrid comes with several options you could add to the base E hybrid, specifically
air suspension
sport chrono pkg
sport exhaust
HD matrix LED headlights
Metal gas/brake pedals
Red disc brake calipers
? air purifier
there may be some other additional minor features, BUT
the main difference, which is not available to be added to the base hybrid is the extra 48 horsepower, 348 hp on the S hybrid vs 300 on the base hybrid, although both use the same 3.0L V6 gas engine. Electric motors and hp are the same.
If they were both offered at MSRP I'd go for the S ehybrid, but one local dealer quoted me msrp on the base hybrid and $7.5K - $10K markup on the S hybrid - which I was not comfortable with.
Link from Porsche news Sept 26, 2023 https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2023...rid-33885.html
You need to find a new dealership. ADM on this and many cars is a 2020-2021 thing and no one should be asking for one now a days in the US unless its a PTS model fully loaded and thus maybe otherwise difficult to sell OR something like the new Porsche 992 S/T maybe...even then its still cray-cray. I'd be insulted if I were you and walked away never to return.
Originally Posted by silversurfer6
From a very brief look I had at both models in the US configurator the only standard/options difference is that the s e-hybrid comes with the air suspension as standard. Considering the difference of the 2 vehicles is 7k only, the air suspension is really needed and costs 2.5k so the difference is now 4.5k and you get 50bhp more - it is a no brainer to go for the S E-Hybrid. Configure both cars as you want them and you will see the price difference is negligible especially if you add 20-30k of options.

I cannot comment on the dealer markup but honestly now that the S E-Hybrid has been released the E-Hybrid does not make any sense for any customer. These are 110k-140k cars - with the needed options - so honestly there is no reason for the e-hybrid model to exist in order to save 5k (with air suspension) on a 120k car . This comes from a new E-hybrid owner
Yes very small difference in that I've configured both an Cayenne e-hybrid coupe at $117k optioned and a Cayenne e-hybrid S coupe at $122k....do the math! Yes its a no brainer agree.
Although the S Ehybrid has been released/announced, do you have any idea when dealer allocations will be made and how sparse or generous those allocations may be?
No one knows yet but probably first US allocations will occur within the next 60-90 days most definately by the end of the year as my dealer/SA has said when I placed my deposit and build that given their size and convos with Porsche NA at this point I'd likely see a late Q2 2024 but most likely a Q4 2024 vehicle which makes it a 2025 vehicle.
No to be honest, I will ask for Europe but since the base e-hybrid is released in the US in early 2025 then the s e-hybrid should follow soon.

Dealer allocations should be generous, I think dealers in the US are overplaying their card or just playing their card now that the demand is very high. But considering first time buyers will get a turbo gt if they want a turbo gt I see no car in the cayenne line that is difficult to get.
Agree
As I mentioned before I see Porsche having a problem to sell the e-hybrid and not thev s e-hybrid. The price difference is so small that the e-hybrid does not make sense - if I knew the S e-hybrid was coming I would just wait.

Dealers know this and they take advantage of this but come on - this is not a car to ask ADM on.
Yes my SA/dealer has already said when deposit was placed and I got in line and they accepted by build code that they would sell at MSRP. ADMs are only for super special orders and a rarity. Personally I'd never pay one for the most part if I had the choice. Even when I got my 992 in 2020 I refused and got my car actually at 4% under MSRP right when ADMs started to become almost on every 992 ordered for the next 12-24+ months. ADM for a depreciating asset not thanks. Watch any autovlog out there or speak to some of these sales folks also and you'll hear horror stories of folks who bought Kia Telurides and Mercedes G-Wagons and Corvette C8's and others at ADM all thru 2021-2022 and now are $20-30-40-50-80k underwater on their vehicles as valuation adjusted (realistically) and the ADM went poof...as it was pure profit in the first place. No thanks...my advice if someone ask for ADM at any Porsche dealer for a Cayenne run! Even the Turbo GT Coupe can be had at MSRP if you look a bit and that's the halo edition right?
Old 10-17-2023, 03:11 AM
Max20
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The dealer with the ADM spent a lot of time going over details and multiple test rides so I felt bad about walking away, but because of the ADM I went to another dealer (both about 1 hr drive from my home but in opposite directions) where they agreed to msrp on Cayenne S Ehybrid and put me first on their wait list with a small deposit
Old 10-17-2023, 12:14 PM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Received 695 Likes on 416 Posts

The dealer with the ADM spent a lot of time going over details and multiple test rides so I felt bad about walking away, but because of the ADM I went to another dealer (both about 1 hr drive from my home but in opposite directions) where they agreed to msrp on Cayenne S Ehybrid and put me first on their wait list with a small deposit
Good choise. It is the right hybrid to get and ADM in any cayenne is ridiculous.

In Europe you can sometimes get 8-13% off on these cars if they are highly optioned.

Last edited by silversurfer6; 10-17-2023 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-17-2023, 11:24 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Smart move...not really caring how long they went over the car with me or test rides...that is their job. Askin me for an ADM and continuing to do so when I say no gets me walking back to my car and leaving said dealership. Simple man...not something that would be part of a deal I'd sign of on. You did that and found an allocation possibly soon at MSRP as it should. Probably could have gotten a discount depending on how car was optioned if you asked! LOL
Good choise. It is the right hybrid to get and ADM in any cayenne is ridiculous.

In Europe you can sometimes get 8-13% off on these cars if they are highly optioned.
Agree but also hear that in Europe they are selling more e-hybrids than base and coupe Cayennes. Is that true? If so save some of us here in the US! We don't want to wait forever for our cars! LOL
Old 10-17-2023, 11:32 PM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Agree but also hear that in Europe they are selling more e-hybrids than base and coupe Cayennes. Is that true? If so save some of us here in the US! We don't want to wait forever for our cars! LOL
Yes, 2x-3x as much from just a couple of dealers though at launch. e,g 20 Base/S cars vs 50 e-hybrids. But maybe there were not many S factory allocations, who knows - this depends on a lot of things.

But considering there are additional 2 hybrid models now then the 2x might continue.

Discount is relevant for most dealers in Europe whether hybrid or not.
The following users liked this post:
mdrobc1213 (10-18-2023)
Old 10-18-2023, 09:22 AM
mattsrs
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts

I called a few US dealers around me and non have received allocations for S ehybrid. Has anyone been able to find an allocation?
Old 10-18-2023, 11:23 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mattsrs
I called a few US dealers around me and non have received allocations for S ehybrid. Has anyone been able to find an allocation?
No you are correct, allocations for e hybrid S Cayenne’s have not been released yet to dealership in the US by Porsche AG to Porsche NA. Most dealerships are taking deposits for those wanting to get in line for an allocation from what I can tell much like what occurs for those wishing 992s for examples during scarcity of those models or say a Macan EVs allocation as well. Many out there looking and dealers were just putting folks into the queue and offering cars to the next guy/gal in line is the general rule now a days.
Old 10-18-2023, 05:09 PM
Max20
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's what I've found also upon contacting several Porsche dealers in California. They are taking deposits to reserve a specific build and place in line for the S Ehybrid. They all say they are expecting allocations "soon" most likely by the end of 2023 or very early 2024
Old 10-22-2023, 10:33 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

If you're going to keep it beyond the warranty period, I advise to stay away from the S e-hybrid. Tghe systems are complex and repairs really expensive. You could always buy a Fidelity extended. Personally, I would prefer an S
Old 10-22-2023, 10:51 AM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mafpolo
If you're going to keep it beyond the warranty period, I advise to stay away from the S e-hybrid. Tghe systems are complex and repairs really expensive. You could always buy a Fidelity extended. Personally, I would prefer an S
Discussion is about e-hybrid vs S e-hybrid.
Old 10-22-2023, 08:31 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mafpolo
That is what an independent Porsche shop is for...non dealer work later into the ownership and outside warranty. Lots of good shops out there that do work at a fraction of dealership cost. As for expensive and complex repairs that goes in part on the argument that you will problems which my last 3-4 Porsches have been rock solid..much more than my BMWs and also any new car today is loaded with complexity from computers to touchscreens to sensors etc so with that argument then nobody should buy or own any new car out of warranty one would conclude.
Old 02-18-2024, 07:35 AM
GtErik
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

My Google skils failed me, does anybody have info regrading differences in brake size Hybrid vs S Hybrid

Originally Posted by Electric Lizard
You get a non-detuned engine for more power and bigger brakes (with red calipers!!). If I can do it, I will seriously contemplate getting the S since I'm really 17 years old.
I asked my sales guy to look into it to see schedule impact vs. my Base Hybrid order that currently shows a early June delivery (ordered last April), but he said that he doesn't recall seeing any S Hybrid allocations yet. I told him no rush and will let you know what I hear.
My current order is fairly heavily optioned, so the change would be about a 3-4% increase per the configurator.

Old 02-20-2024, 08:33 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by mattsrs
I lucked into the last allocation Porsche Austin had for a S E-Hybrid Coupe and put the $5k deposit down the next morning.

Old 02-20-2024, 12:24 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Patriot
I lucked into the last allocation Porsche Austin had for a S E-Hybrid Coupe and put the $5k deposit down the next morning.
yes I asked my dealer locally back in Sept and he didn’t have one at the time but we put together a build and I gave him $1k toward an e-hybrid coupe when they got one. They did have an open Turbo e hybrid coupe at the time as did a few other dealers it seemed I called and was offered them for a March build but more than I needed and wanted to spend.

Fast forward to Nov when the S e hybrid was confirmed and I went and emailed my build using the Porsche site to about 20 dealers I either had previous purchased one of my Porsches from when I lived there and others in a few selected cities within 500-1000m radius and I was able to find about a 6-10 Cayenne S e hybrid open allocations at dealers available. Of those a few were restricted to local sales only by the dealerships but about 3 of those dealers out of state with allocations were willing to sell to me as an out of state buyer! As it would happen another local dealer also was willing to trade an allocation for an S e Hybrid Coupe with another dealer they often used for such purposes who had one. So I eventually had 2 available deals when my original SA came thru with an allocation and called me! Funny as I was just about to pull the trigger on one of the others the same day! Lol.

So have a car and it’s now in V210 status for a Jun delivery but will be produced next month. So yeah like others You can likely find a car but it will take a bit of effort on your part and willingness to look outside your local area possibly by quite a bit of distance also…along with some luck. If anyone is interested happy to share my list of who I contacted and who was and wasn’t willing to play ball as an out of state buyer. Just PM me. Good luck!

Old 02-20-2024, 05:26 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by GtErik
My Google skils failed me, does anybody have info regrading differences in brake size Hybrid vs S Hybrid
I got my info from https://www.caranddriver.com/porsche/cayenne/specs which shows disc sizes for the Hybrid (F/R) as 14.2/13.0 and 15.3/14.1 for the S Hybrid. However, that website is now having problems switching between the two trims and is showing the smaller discs for the Hybrid if you choose it first, but larger disc sizes for both after if you first select the S Hybrid. It doesn't make any difference to me since the cars weigh about the same and I won't be exploring the upper ranges of their top speeds on the track. I do like the red calipers, but I can get those a lot cheaper.

Quick Reply: cayenne S E Hybrid worth it over Base?