Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

cayenne S E Hybrid worth it over Base?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 05:57 PM
Gotil83
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default cayenne S E Hybrid worth it over Base?

Just want to get your opinion if you think the S E Hybrid is worth getting over the base E hybrid?

I am in Canada and I price out a base E hybrid to be $166k Cad and the S E Hybrid with the same build $172k so 6k difference. The only thing that sucks is I am paying more money for the same engine.

Would you guys go for the S instead and why?

Also, anyone able to get allocations for S yet? No allocation from my dealership yet

Last edited by Gotil83; 10-12-2023 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-12-2023, 06:50 PM
rajatparihar
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

How much is S in your area? If 5-8% more I would go with S instead.
Old 10-12-2023, 06:54 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 217 Posts

You get a non-detuned engine for more power and bigger brakes (with red calipers!!). If I can do it, I will seriously contemplate getting the S since I'm really 17 years old.
I asked my sales guy to look into it to see schedule impact vs. my Base Hybrid order that currently shows a early June delivery (ordered last April), but he said that he doesn't recall seeing any S Hybrid allocations yet. I told him no rush and will let you know what I hear.
My current order is fairly heavily optioned, so the change would be about a 3-4% increase per the configurator.
Old 10-12-2023, 08:25 PM
Gotil83
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rajatparihar
How much is S in your area? If 5-8% more I would go with S instead.
Ya I would say around that percentage since it has air suspension as standard
Old 10-12-2023, 08:28 PM
Gotil83
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Electric Lizard
You get a non-detuned engine for more power and bigger brakes (with red calipers!!). If I can do it, I will seriously contemplate getting the S since I'm really 17 years old.
I asked my sales guy to look into it to see schedule impact vs. my Base Hybrid order that currently shows a early June delivery (ordered last April), but he said that he doesn't recall seeing any S Hybrid allocations yet. I told him no rush and will let you know what I hear.
My current order is fairly heavily optioned, so the change would be about a 3-4% increase per the configurator.
I Do like the bigger brakes but come on, no acid green love? I just hope I can get the car before summer next year
The following users liked this post:
Electric Lizard (10-12-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 11:14 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 459 Posts

Yes my SA has a list for new Cayenne allocations and best timeframe for me just now coming in was getting a car in Q3 2024 for an Cayenne S e-hybrid coupe...but he had an open Cayenne Turbo e Hybrid coupe for Q2 2024. Tempting but cost difference was about $20-25k between the two and only talking 3-4 mos difference delivery wise if all stays as estimated. So I chose to go with the S e-hybrid option....just waiting my turn in the allocation line now!
Old 10-13-2023, 12:19 AM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Yes my SA has a list for new Cayenne allocations and best timeframe for me just now coming in was getting a car in Q3 2024 for an Cayenne S e-hybrid coupe...but he had an open Cayenne Turbo e Hybrid coupe for Q2 2024. Tempting but cost difference was about $20-25k between the two and only talking 3-4 mos difference delivery wise if all stays as estimated. So I chose to go with the S e-hybrid option....just waiting my turn in the allocation line now!
I hear ya’. I’m thinking that if I just paint the calipers red it’ll pretty much be a win.
Old 10-13-2023, 02:46 AM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Received 695 Likes on 416 Posts

I think it is worth it and the e-hybrid should not have been released. The difference is so small - especially in a car with many options - that simple only the s e-hybrid should have been released from the beginning.

This comes from an e-hybrid owner - if I knew the s e-hybrid is coming out 2 months after I would really go for that. The difference on my build is 8k on 150k - so this is why I have mentioned they should have only gone with the s e-hybrid from the beginning.

Last edited by silversurfer6; 10-13-2023 at 02:49 AM.
Old 10-13-2023, 10:15 AM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by silversurfer6
I think it is worth it and the e-hybrid should not have been released. The difference is so small - especially in a car with many options - that simple only the s e-hybrid should have been released from the beginning.

This comes from an e-hybrid owner - if I knew the s e-hybrid is coming out 2 months after I would really go for that. The difference on my build is 8k on 150k - so this is why I have mentioned they should have only gone with the s e-hybrid from the beginning.
My price increase would be about half that, but I’m not willing to drag this out until Fall 2024. I will not be driving it on a track so the extra power is of questionable worth to me.

That said, I can actually see the schedule difference being fairly nominal IF the reason for my current delay is EPA approval of the detuned Base engine and the regular Base engine has already been approved - a long shot wild *** guess. I’ll see what my sales guy says and take it from there.

On edit: I spoke to my sales guy and was told this:
1. Allocations for the S Hybrid aren’t posted yet. Most likely “you’d be looking at Fall 24” (as noted above). It will most probably be a MY25. Keep in mind that when I ordered my base hybrid in Apr2023, my delivery was Fall 23. Now it’s late Spring 2024. If it was “two months” then OK. This is “God knows when”.
2. FWIW, my base hybrid (now “due” in late May/early June) will probably be a MY 2025. Nothing official, just their best guess. But they’re one of 25 Premier Dealerships and have been at it for a long time, so it’s a fairly educated guess.
Old 10-13-2023, 09:33 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 459 Posts

My price increase would be about half that, but I’m not willing to drag this out until Fall 2024. I will not be driving it on a track so the extra power is of questionable worth to me.

That said, I can actually see the schedule difference being fairly nominal IF the reason for my current delay is EPA approval of the detuned Base engine and the regular Base engine has already been approved - a long shot wild *** guess. I’ll see what my sales guy says and take it from there.

On edit: I spoke to my sales guy and was told this:
1. Allocations for the S Hybrid aren’t posted yet. Most likely “you’d be looking at Fall 24” (as noted above). It will most probably be a MY25. Keep in mind that when I ordered my base hybrid in Apr2023, my delivery was Fall 23. Now it’s late Spring 2024. If it was “two months” then OK. This is “God knows when”.
2. FWIW, my base hybrid (now “due” in late May/early June) will probably be a MY 2025. Nothing official, just their best guess. But they’re one of 25 Premier Dealerships and have been at it for a long time, so it’s a fairly educated guess.
My delta was less Base Coupe e hybrid was $118k and S Coupe e-hybrid was $125-128k depending on how I optioned it. So no worries there. Getting an allocatino is the main point now and current wait as I am in line and as said S e hybrid allocations have NOT been released to dealerships yet. Saw a Youtube review this week out of Germany which said they are selling briskly in Europe and German dealers are seeking a 40% plus or more take rate on the hybrid with many dealers selling them predominately vs S and base cars. So good luck getting one there. My dealer is pretty large and premier one in my area also and my SA has told me that Q3 2024 is what I am likely looking at so that tracks with what you say. Will enjoy my BMW M4 till then and not worried much about the wait. I ordered my '22 Taycan CT4 and getting that allocation in June 2021 was "fun" and I did't get my car till Feb 2022 and similar with my 2021 992S order in the middle of COVID19....that was easier...ordered in July 2020...sold my 991.1 back to the dealer to avoid any hit in value (think they increased slightly) and took delivery right after Thanksgiving day 2020. So yeah sometimes it all about your timing (availability of allocations from Porsche) and patience. Look at it this way you could be waiting for you Ford Explorer or Dodge or Chevy man...they just put another plant on strike today I heard. Suspect some delay is due to EPA and California emissions board as same occured when waiting for my 992 and had to wait 30-45 days until they would release them in 2020 due to clearance/certification issue with the engines/emissions...some guys had theirs sitting in port for months tho..so hold on sales and push back may be something similar with the Cayenne e hybrid models.

My daily/main driver now is a 22 BMW M4 Competition Package so if my wait for the Cayenne S e-hybrid ends up being Fall 2024 then that is what it is. I do hope the Cayenne S e hybrid will be a comparable drive in terms of AWD and power delivery as well. I think HP/Torque figures match up pretty much between the two, Cayenne S e hybrid will be a replacement for the BMW unless I decide to keep both. I built a Cayenne Turbo e hybrid today on the website and mein gott as the germans would say..the price was just too much. I stopped midway thru it cause I just couldn't justify the options vs the price again! It is pretty tho if you got it...go for it. Amazing they can make it so performance wise.

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 10-13-2023 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-16-2023, 07:11 AM
Max20
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In US, the S E hybrid comes with several options you could add to the base E hybrid, specifically
air suspension
sport chrono pkg
sport exhaust
HD matrix LED headlights
Metal gas/brake pedals
Red disc brake calipers
? air purifier
there may be some other additional minor features, BUT
the main difference, which is not available to be added to the base hybrid is the extra 48 horsepower, 348 hp on the S hybrid vs 300 on the base hybrid, although both use the same 3.0L V6 gas engine. Electric motors and hp are the same.
If they were both offered at MSRP I'd go for the S ehybrid, but one local dealer quoted me msrp on the base hybrid and $7.5K - $10K markup on the S hybrid - which I was not comfortable with.
Link from Porsche news Sept 26, 2023 https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2023...rid-33885.html

Old 10-16-2023, 07:38 AM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Max20
In US, the S E hybrid comes with several options you could add to the base E hybrid, specifically
air suspension
sport chrono pkg
sport exhaust
HD matrix LED headlights
Metal gas/brake pedals
Red disc brake calipers
? air purifier
there may be some other additional minor features, BUT
the main difference, which is not available to be added to the base hybrid is the extra 48 horsepower, 348 hp on the S hybrid vs 300 on the base hybrid, although both use the same 3.0L V6 gas engine. Electric motors and hp are the same.
If they were both offered at MSRP I'd go for the S ehybrid, but one local dealer quoted me msrp on the base hybrid and $7.5K - $10K markup on the S hybrid - which I was not comfortable with.
Link from Porsche news Sept 26, 2023 https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2023...rid-33885.html
From a very brief look I had at both models in the US configurator the only standard/options difference is that the s e-hybrid comes with the air suspension as standard. Considering the difference of the 2 vehicles is 7k only, the air suspension is really needed and costs 2.5k so the difference is now 4.5k and you get 50bhp more - it is a no brainer to go for the S E-Hybrid. Configure both cars as you want them and you will see the price difference is negligible especially if you add 20-30k of options.

I cannot comment on the dealer markup but honestly now that the S E-Hybrid has been released the E-Hybrid does not make any sense for any customer. These are 110k-140k cars - with the needed options - so honestly there is no reason for the e-hybrid model to exist in order to save 5k (with air suspension) on a 120k car . This comes from a new E-hybrid owner

Last edited by silversurfer6; 10-16-2023 at 07:40 AM.
Fahrfun (10-18-2023)
Old 10-16-2023, 08:34 AM
Max20
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Although the S Ehybrid has been released/announced, do you have any idea when dealer allocations will be made and how sparse or generous those allocations may be?
Old 10-16-2023, 08:56 AM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Max20
Although the S Ehybrid has been released/announced, do you have any idea when dealer allocations will be made and how sparse or generous those allocations may be?
No to be honest, I will ask for Europe but since the base e-hybrid is released in the US in early 2025 then the s e-hybrid should follow soon.

Dealer allocations should be generous, I think dealers in the US are overplaying their card or just playing their card now that the demand is very high. But considering first time buyers will get a turbo gt if they want a turbo gt I see no car in the cayenne line that is difficult to get.

Max20 (10-16-2023)
Old 10-16-2023, 08:58 AM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

As I mentioned before I see Porsche having a problem to sell the e-hybrid and not thev s e-hybrid. The price difference is so small that the e-hybrid does not make sense - if I knew the S e-hybrid was coming I would just wait.

Dealers know this and they take advantage of this but come on - this is not a car to ask ADM on.
The following 2 users liked this post by silversurfer6:
Fahrfun (10-18-2023), Max20 (10-16-2023)

Quick Reply: cayenne S E Hybrid worth it over Base?