Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What exactly can a Cayenne do that a Taycan can't?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2023, 07:19 AM
jacksmak
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What exactly can a Cayenne do that a Taycan can't?

About to submit my final configuration for Cayenne coupe E-Hybrid when I noticed a Taycan 4S Cross Turismo in the showroom I went for a test drive and fell in love, from a driving perspective its significantly more engaging IMHO. However I've only had SUV's for the last decade but now I'm seriously considering what the SUV can do over something like a Taycan Cross Tourismo for my use cases. The obvious differences are:

1. Ground clearance - 148mm/5.38in vs 208mm/8.19in (or 233mm/9.17in with air suspension). I'm not sure how important this is, see my use cases below.
2. Ease of entry/exit to vehicle due to ride height - I'm quite a big guy, 6ft, 230 lbs but getting into the Taycan didn't seem too bad.
3. Safety in an accident due to ride height/size/weight - I've got a kid so this is important.

Here is what I use my car for:
- School run with one kid in rear - Every day
- Driving into City, 40 mins on highway - Every day
- Driving to Ski resorts, often icy roads and sometimes with a few inches of snow - 3 x per year
- Going mountain biking - need to take bikes on rear mounted rack - 1 x per month
- Going camping to camp grounds, never wild and never driving up gnarly routes with large rocks etc - 3 x per year

Does anyone have any opinions on this choice, especially if you have owned a Taycan or similar car before?
Old 08-16-2023, 08:19 AM
matthewr87
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 183 Posts

I guess the obvious thing the Cayenne can do that a Taycan't is run on gasoline....how far away are these resorts and camp grounds and can you charge there?
The following users liked this post:
sevasnex (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 08:50 AM
toma nova
Rennlist Member

Received 365 Likes on 246 Posts

For your use (no off-road and no towing), the Taycan looks perfect.

Easier access to roof cargo and bikes. More engaging driving (torque, lower center of gravity). Much more unique and still relatively rare.

Check the Taycan forum if you have not already.

Keep us posted on what you end up with!
Old 08-16-2023, 09:42 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Your use case says Taycan. I'm on our second Cayenne and have owned two Model 3's and am a huge EV fan. I'm also not an EV evangelist, I'm a realist, and realize they are not for everyone. It sounds like your use case lines up well.

I recently sold my 997 Turbo S and was really, REALLY, REALLY close to replacing with a Taycan. So I am fairly well informed for a non-owner.

Size: they are big outside, small inside. You're not carrying as much cargo as you will in a Cayenne. Also, 4 adults are going to be tight, although the Cross Tourismo is better.
Cost: Taycans make Cayennes look cheap
Driving: Taycan all day, every day.
Versatility: EV vs. ICE or a PHEV. The Cayenne is easier to live with.
Commuting: You're going to LOVE an EV commuting. 40 minutes....takes a lot of stress off. Seriously, unless you have lived and commuted with an EV, you can't understand this benefit.
Safety: Not even a consideration. The thing has so much exterior to passenger cell space you'll be in the same position as you would be as the Cayenne. Add to that the lower height and MUCH lower center of gravity, and your active safety is increased greatly. And forget about a rollover....that thing isn't rolling over with that battery.

I would say that if you live at home and can charge at home, go with the Taycan. I chose the M3 over a Taycan because it's replacing a 911. We already have a Cayenne PHEV. I can go ICE free for local trips all day long. I wanted something more raw and emotive as a daily / fun car combo, and the Taycan just couldn't scratch that itch. . Also, the Taycan is first gen EV from Porsche. It is VERY good, but also has some weaknesses.

I would say IF you can get away with the smaller interior and cargo dimensions, and afford it.....Taycan all the way. If you find it can't make the 2x / year ski trip.....Hertz rents Expeditions very affordably. People often rule out EV's because of the 3rd percentile use case, while not giving enough weight to the fact that it is, in fact, the 3rd percentile of your use case and there are alternatives.

@daveo4porsche has both, and EXTENSIVE EV experience. He can chime in as well. Feel free to ask questions.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 08-16-2023 at 09:46 AM.
jacksmak (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 09:48 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,982 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by jacksmak
About to submit my final configuration for Cayenne coupe E-Hybrid when I noticed a Taycan 4S Cross Turismo in the showroom I went for a test drive and fell in love, from a driving perspective its significantly more engaging IMHO. However I've only had SUV's for the last decade but now I'm seriously considering what the SUV can do over something like a Taycan Cross Tourismo for my use cases. The obvious differences are:

1. Ground clearance - 148mm/5.38in vs 208mm/8.19in (or 233mm/9.17in with air suspension). I'm not sure how important this is, see my use cases below.
2. Ease of entry/exit to vehicle due to ride height - I'm quite a big guy, 6ft, 230 lbs but getting into the Taycan didn't seem too bad.
3. Safety in an accident due to ride height/size/weight - I've got a kid so this is important.

- Driving to Ski resorts, often icy roads and sometimes with a few inches of snow - 3 x per year
- Going mountain biking - need to take bikes on rear mounted rack - 1 x per month
- Going camping to camp grounds, never wild and never driving up gnarly routes with large rocks etc - 3 x per year

Does anyone have any opinions on this choice, especially if you have owned a Taycan or similar car before?
Taycan CT is a very functional EV - I love mine (sedan will replace with CT in future) - hard choice between Cayenne hybrid and Taycan - I prefer the all EV approach - but having both we don't have to choose…Taycan can easily handle your use cases - so it's a matter of personal preference

the Cayenne will be slighty more practical, the Taycan will be funner to drive on a daily basis - instant EV torque and a low center of gravity in an excellent well sorted vehicle like the Taycan is an addicting combination.

ownership of an EV only becomes slightly more difficult if the drive is more than 250 miles round trip - then you have to include fast charging in your plans - but this is already pretty good and only getting better over time…for anything less than 250 miles round trip and a good home EV charging setup (same sort of setup you'll want for a Hybrid they are identical) - EV ownership is great and no more visits to the gas station and way way way less maintenance…you'll get in the Taycan every morning and it will be "full" for you days activities having charged overnight.

if you're looking for a bit of change vs. the "all SUV" diet - I'd say go with the Taycan - you'll probably love it.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 08-16-2023 at 10:00 AM.
jacksmak (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 10:11 AM
musammir
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

not sure what your timeline is but if you can wait - the Taycans are TANKING in value.
Old 08-16-2023, 10:19 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,982 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by jacksmak

more information here - I prefer it for Taycan vs. Rennlist

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/
Old 08-16-2023, 12:37 PM
jacksmak
Track Day

Wow, what an amazing community, thank you everyone for your input!

My longest trips are around 200 miles round trip and I have 3-phase power at home which means I can charge at up to 22kw. There is also a good charger network in my area.

The cost difference seems negligible, my Cayenne config came out to €152k, the Taycan 4S CT to around €163k for similar options.

The EV does seem like the clear winner now so I'll be spending some more time on the Taycan forum.
Old 08-16-2023, 12:42 PM
jacksmak
Track Day

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Cost: Taycans make Cayennes look cheap
In my country the base price for Cayenne E-Hybrid is €110k, Taycan 4S CT is €122k and the price of options appears similar. Is there a much bigger difference in the USA or were you referring to something else, perhaps maintenance or resale?
Old 08-16-2023, 12:55 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,398 Likes on 757 Posts

When in the past I considered a Taycan, I tried some simulated trips using the electrify America network and I realized that anything more than 120 miles each way would not be possible in a day trip without some serious deviations and/or wait. That's in the Chicago area. Last I asked a Porsche rep, he told me that in this whole area there was one fast charger, might be different now. Also bear in mind that the fastest charging available requires battery conditioning, which can take a lot of time.

As an experiment, go to the Tesla website and simulate a trip that you see yourself doing. That's probably the current best case combo when considering cars and network. If that doesn't work for you, take a hard look in the reality of owning an electric car for traveling.

About values, in 2020 when I was looking for a low miles Taycan, I noticed that about 10% of the used market was lemons. It's probably better now and reasons for a lemonade vary widely and are often unreasonable. I had that in a thread under the Taycan section, but it's been a while.
Old 08-16-2023, 01:10 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,531 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Tow 7700lbs while carrying 4 adults, luggage inside and bikes on the roof.
Tedster (08-22-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 01:43 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 506 Posts

Cayenne has more interior space and will be much for comfortable for rear seat passengers. It also holds more cargo and you sit higher up so you get a better view of the road and traffic than in a car. It has more ground clearance. You can also add 400 miles range (fill it up) in 10 minutes, stoping almost anywhere to do so.

The Taycan is very cool, quiet, great ride and you never have to stop at a gas station again. At $5.15/gallon(+) that is a feel good thing. But the interior space packaging isn't for everyone (CT is better than sedan - sort of) and if you drive longer distances, you'll have to deal with "refuelling" (recharging) that is not as convenient as with a gas or hybrid Cayenne.

It's a personal choice.
The following 2 users liked this post by kayjh:
chassis (08-16-2023), jacksmak (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 03:40 PM
sevasnex
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Cayenne WILL sell better after you are done with it.
chassis (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 05:09 PM
bluonek1k
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

if you haven't owned an all elec vehicle, don't underestimate the inconvenience factor. i routinely watch friends and family (calmly, with dignity even) freak out about charging stations and routes and how they'll make it all work. they don't seem to be bothered by it, though, admittedly. just watching i know i'd be bothered by it, heavily. sure, hard to ignore the fun factor, just something to be sure not to miss before taking the plunge.

someday charging stations will be everywhere and it'll take less than 5 mins to full charge.
Old 08-16-2023, 05:21 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by bluonek1k
if you haven't owned an all elec vehicle, don't underestimate the inconvenience factor. i routinely watch friends and family (calmly, with dignity even) freak out about charging stations and routes and how they'll make it all work. they don't seem to be bothered by it, though, admittedly. just watching i know i'd be bothered by it, heavily. sure, hard to ignore the fun factor, just something to be sure not to miss before taking the plunge.

someday charging stations will be everywhere and it'll take less than 5 mins to full charge.
Hopefully within the next 5 years or so.
bluonek1k (08-16-2023)

Quick Reply: What exactly can a Cayenne do that a Taycan can't?